PDA

View Full Version : Stock or Not

awm14hp
06-17-09, 19:33
I carry mainly Glocks as CCW and wonder I have never had an issue, but guys I shoot with swear by Stainless Guide Rods and Springs I have always shot stock with the diff being Mep Night sights. What do you guys think???

Robb Jensen
06-17-09, 19:37
I like Warren night sights followed by Trijicon. Mepro to me I dislike, the dots are fuzzy and out of focus.

I use factory recoil springs on factory guide rods. In competition sometimes I'll use a Wolff blued steel non-captured rod with a 15lb recoil spring with 147gr subsonic MATCH grade 9mm ammo.

trio
06-17-09, 20:33
one of the great things about Glocks is they are cheap and easy to experiment with....

want a NY1 Trigger and 3.5 connector? 30 bucks and less than 5 minutes of time...

same can be said for guide rods and capture springs

really, the only thing that can be pretty costly to experiment with is sights...

for me, like GotM4, I am a Warren tactical guy...

for the other things, try some setups out, see what you like....whats right for me maybe isn't the best for you

personally, i've found my "glock setup" and am currently very pleased with it

Saginaw79
06-17-09, 21:26
Ive known many people who buy a gun and before they fire round 1 they want to change things for some reason, or because Mr TactiCool said so online etc, I say shoot it then decide

John_Wayne777
06-17-09, 23:07
I carry mainly Glocks as CCW and wonder I have never had an issue, but guys I shoot with swear by Stainless Guide Rods and Springs I have always shot stock with the diff being Mep Night sights. What do you guys think???

The only things a Glock 9mm needs right out of the box is a sight upgrade (I prefer Warren 2 dots) and a Vickers mag release.

Sigmax
06-17-09, 23:34
I typically put Hienie sights on mine and leave the rest stock. Though I am tempted to send one of my 17's to Boresight for some customization based on the work he did on Costa's Glock.

ToddG
06-18-09, 05:13

If your gun works the way you want it to out of the box, don't change anything. As the saying goes, don't fix what aint broken.

awm14hp
06-18-09, 06:42
I think I will just stick with the meps then I seem to see and pick them up better than the Trijicon. I have only broke a few Recoil assemblies but they are easy enough to fix and cheap enough to keep some on hand. Dont get me wrong I am not out to change every thing I can on it. I know a bunch of guys that spend more time changing them than shooting them.

Robb Jensen
06-18-09, 06:50
Where are the Glock recoil rods breaking?

I've only seen them break when it's owner didn't make sure the chamber end of the recoil rod was all the way down into the 1/2 moon cut on the barrel lug when reassembling the pistol. If it's sticking up even 1/8" when you reassemble the slide assy onto the frame it's very easy to shear part of it off.

Littlebear
06-18-09, 06:58
Where are the Glock recoil rods breaking?

I've only seen them break when it's owner didn't make sure the chamber end of the recoil rod was all the way down into the 1/2 moon cut on the barrel lug when reassembling the pistol. If it's sticking up even 1/8" when you reassemble the slide assy onto the frame it's very easy to shear part of it off.

Same here... I have yet to see a single recoil spring assembly faillure which was not related to an "operator error" during reassembly.
The only changes I ever made to mine: "plain" black steel sights and smooth factory triggers (when I was running G23s).

awm14hp
06-18-09, 07:37
Hmm maybe thats what it was then I had one shear some on the head that go into the half moon slot and the other was a rod right in the middle when it was inside the spring itself it still shot as I didnt find it till I took it apart after. It was an early non capture recoil assembly.

markm
06-18-09, 08:33
Ive known many people who buy a gun and before they fire round 1 they want to change things for some reason, or because Mr TactiCool said so online etc, I say shoot it then decide

Exactly. And there's 15 companies out there marketing some piece of shit gizmo that'll "improve" the pistol.

rubberneck
06-18-09, 09:42

Can't the same exact thing be said of buying an M4 and adding a rail system, foregrip, Optic and adding a different stock before even shooting it? When you have been in the game a while and know what you like before hand than I don't see the issue with changing it right out of the box. Then again if you are new to the game and have no clue how changing a gun can effect it's performance (both good and bad) than it isn't such a hot idea.