PDA

View Full Version : video on Ruger's new SR-556 gas piston AR

gunwriter
06-17-09, 20:06
Here's a video on Ruger's new SR-556 gas piston AR
with the product engineer in charge of this project

http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=565&Itemid=74

what do you think?

recon
06-17-09, 22:34
Good vid!

variablebinary
06-17-09, 23:46
Saw on up close today. It's a nice piece of kit all around

doubletap
06-18-09, 16:27
The more I learn about the Ruger SR-556 the more I like it.

caporider
06-18-09, 17:00
If Ruger switches to a 1:7 twist barrel, I'll get in line for one. My ammo stash is all 75gr and heavier, so a 1:9 does nothing for me.

jrainer
06-18-09, 17:04
Looks good still a little skeptical on how well she performs after all of rugers issues lately with all of the recalls on thier new firearms ie LCP or the SR9 but it looks promising

mmike87
06-19-09, 07:57
What's a "41V45" barrel? I'm use to seeing 4140, 4150, 4150 CMV, etc. but not 41V45. Whatever it is it's MilSpec - said so right on the site! :)

Looks like an interesting weapon though. I like that it comes with Troy sights and not YH stuff like a lot of other rifles do. And it comes with THREE P-Mags.

Any bets on commercial vs. Milspec receiver extension? I didn't see that anywhere, and I can't tell by looking at it (maybe someone can.)

Robb Jensen
06-19-09, 08:16
Milspec receiver extension on the one I have. Also 1/2-28TPI barrel threading, I put a AAC Blackout M4-2000 mount on the one I have.

snellkid
06-19-09, 14:02
I took the Piston plunge today, Went over to my local gun shop and they had just gotten in a Ruger SR-556, Long story short - I took it home, appears to be a well made rifle, I'll change the Buttstock and Pistol grip to Magpul, Buffer tube is Mil-spec, Rail covers are different, Lift a tab and they slide along the rails till where you want them, then press tab back in, nice panels - I'll switch them to Magpul.

I'll take it to the range in a couple of days and run some ammo through it.

Magsz
06-19-09, 18:41
Anyone else have a huge urge to take their bolt carriers out and caress them after firing a 30 round mag out of their DI guns?

Anyone?

I understand the principle of less heat transfer as generally being regarded as good but the way in which that heat transfer is being displayed is a fairly loose argument. It just doesnt get the point across as to why its perceived to be "better".

In regards to the rifle it certainly looks neat and i give ruger alot of credit for jumping into the mix. As far as i am concerned any major manufacturer jumping into the AR game is always a good thing.