PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on the FNP?

Kyle E. Coyote
06-18-09, 15:23
I'm normally an HK/Glock guy, but the FNP45 has had me wondering. From all I've heard it's a very good gun, but I wondered in anyone has had any problems with it.

Any reports of breaking, any glaring flaws?

What about the maintinence schedule... is it more like an HK or Glock where you don't really have to replace anything for about 20k, or more like a SIG where you have to replace a handful of parts every 5-10,000 rounds? I'm sure FNH would sell me replacement parts, their customer service is apparently pretty good, but if I wanted to spend a fortune on replacement parts I'd just buy another 1911.

And most importantly, do you like it all around?

Thanks for the help, guys!

loupav
06-19-09, 01:15
I live in a California, so a FNP 45 is not easy to for me to get, being a civie. However, I have shot one before, and I thought it was just as good as my USP 45. I would love to have one. But it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Felt good in the hand, good trigger, soft recoil, excellent weapon.

Business_Casual
06-19-09, 07:40
Calling the FN trigger "good" is a bit generous, in my opinion.

M_P

heijutsu
06-19-09, 07:44
That is one aggressive grip.

forgiven
06-19-09, 09:21
The trigger is alright,

The aggressive grip/cocking serrations aren't too bad,

The mags not wanting to function with WWB isn't too much of a hassle unless you like saving $ by buying ammo up at Walmart

But what really got me was how the gun recoiled in my hands, the placement of that decocking lever = PIA. No matter if I used my normal thumbs forward grip or a thumbs down/combat grip, no improvement. It just kept nailing the joint in my thumb and wearing on the skin.

Needless to say - I found a like new HK45 for a steal and haven't looked back.

Maybe you should try out the M&P, HK45c, or HK USP/Tactical...(since I see you already have a pair of hk45s)

loupav
06-19-09, 09:52
The mags not wanting to function with WWB isn't too much of a hassle unless you like saving $ by buying ammo up at Walmart

Needless to say - I found a like new HK45 for a steal and haven't looked back.

Maybe you should try out the M&P, HK45c, or HK USP/Tactical...(since I see you already have a pair of hk45s)

I think that's BS. A combat weapon and it's magazines should function with ALL types ammo. I use to baby my guns and only use American Eagle ammo. After a while I started to wonder what they wouldn't function with. So I bought all kinds of crap ammo, to my satisfaction they all ran 100%.

HK45 is an excellent weapon. So are USP's. I have very little experience with M&P's.

spamsammich
06-19-09, 12:45
Calling the FN trigger "good" is a bit generous, in my opinion.

M_P

I agree. I found mine to be very vague in single action and pull went on forever. I could never get comfortable with it until I had a couple of mags down range. The gun was a soft shooter, seemed to be very well made, and ergonomics were great for my tiny mitts, but ultimately I sold it because I didn't like the trigger.

Mr.Goodtimes
06-19-09, 13:28
ive herd their supposed to be excellent guns, however, i thought that the FNP 9 that i held felt sort of cheesy... like a toy gun.

Kyle E. Coyote
06-23-09, 01:01
Oh, come on... somebody else has to have SOMETHING to add.

spamsammich
06-23-09, 01:25
try

http://fnforum.net/

Bob Reed
06-23-09, 06:46
Hello,

Here's a good review on it.
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/taking_a_look_at_the_fnp9_pistol.htm

apb2772
06-23-09, 22:55
subscribe

canucklehead
06-24-09, 00:20
I like mine - however, as noted, I think the better bargain is the HK45. It still feels a bit clunky in my hand - kinda like the USP.

apb2772
06-24-09, 00:55
I have 2 of the .45 ACP USG (The USG has both a decocker and a cocked and locked type safety, it also has slightly different slide serrations) Flat dark earth / blackened stainless slide models.

I fell into a deal on a pair of M3X's in FDE also, so both pistols are equipped identically (one for the car BOB, and one for the nightstand).

I was going to purchase 2 of the "Shooters Packs" (Package that consists of a Bladetech pistol holster, double mag holster, training barrel, and 3 Magazines, in a blow mold case) but the USG FDE shooters packs never "Appeared" on the market although FN issued a stock # for them. Basically the consensus seems to be that FN is selling the FDE models in sufficient volume (along with the other .45 Cal models) that they feel no need to offer the USG FDE models in the "Shooters Pack"configuration. They also structure their promotions around their 9mm, .357 Sig, and .40 S&W models exclusively. (No need to promote something that is selling like hotcakes).

Holsters are few and far between (and that is a generous statement). God help you if you want a high quality leg drop type holster that accepts a FNP 45 with a light attached (they don't exist PERIOD)..

Night sights were supposed to be available some time ago, but have not appeared as of yet...

The reason I chose to purchase the FNs is because really liked the :

Capacity, Large aggressive grip with interchangeable back straps (I have big hands), the exposed hammer, traditional double action (second strike capability), accuracy (Many tests, both end user and the "media" have overwhelmingly praised it for its accuracy), and the color scheme (FDE and blackened stainless).

As for the triggers on my two, they are more than acceptable. The DA pull is about 11lbs and kind of long. The SA pull is about 4-5 lbs. The SA pull is smooth with some take up, but nice with a crisp release. Now in the interest of full disclosure I have yet to take them to the range (too damn wet and hot, but mostly too wet and muddy). I have been using snap caps and doing dry fire practice with them extensively.

I do have a couple of complaints/gripes though.

The rail spacing on the dust cover could stand to be reoriented back/rearward (slot wise) about 1/8 inch or so - the "Reach " that is required for the activation of lights (I have played with both the TLR 1 mounted and also the M3X) is a bit on the long side and I have adopted the "Thumb" activation method (using the supporting hand to activate) while using a two handed grip.

The magazines seem "OK", but I am not particularly enamored with the small/short skirts on the follower(s). The magazines seem to be "Pieced" together (they are composed 5 loose pieces) the plastics used to make up the base plate bottom lock and follower a "feel" a bit on the cheap side. One other thing I find "Lacking" is the slide Stop/Release is insufficiently sized, and not aggressively textured enough for my tastes (Much of my shooting "Education" has been at the controls of 1911 type handguns)..

I have played with many different types of handguns. Most of my favorites are along the lines of the 1911, CZ-75 and it's many iterations. I hope that these FNP's will live up to my expectations- I sold of 2 CZ's ( I really like my CZ's) in .40 cal to make room for them, (and to cut down on the # of handgun calibers in my battery)..

All in all so far I like these pistols. Hopefully I will still like them after putting a volume of lead down range..

--->APB

williejc
06-24-09, 18:49
I've owned the fnp in 9, 40, and 45. I kept the 45 but sold the others. I selected Glock 19's in 9, completely ditched the caliber 40, and retained the 1911 and fnp in 45. Being a very large man, I'm comfortable with the fnp's size, but I do not carrry it. For me it's a house gun.

My opinion is that the other fnp's have not been fully refined and I do not care for the magazines. I predict that the series will continue to be overshadowed by Glock and Smith and may not survive in this market.

My three pistols required a short break-in period before they would function on cheap ammo. I praise the fnp-45. However, I advise you to go the S&W route. I would if I could start over. Why? See Doc's statement.

Williejc