PDA

View Full Version : SBR or pinned FH on a 14.5 bbl choice?

FMF_Doc
06-18-09, 18:13
I am trying to decide if I really want to do an SBR or just get a 14.5 barrel with a pinned flash hider. The Sheriff here besides being my former boss is a cool guy and will sign off on NFA items.

I am thinking about getting into 3 gun shooting.

So the question in mind is do I really need an SBR?

What are your thoughts?

Thomas M-4
06-18-09, 18:54
I am trying to decide if I really want to do an SBR or just get a 14.5 barrel with a pinned flash hider. The Sheriff here besides being my former boss is a cool guy and will sign off on NFA items.

What are your thoughts?

I have a LMT 14.5 m-4 with saber defense ext A2 FH http://global-tactical.com/sdiextendeda2flashhidersoutofstock.aspx I like it but if you can get an SBR I would recommend that because if you want to later on you could pick up a 10.5'' upper and also if you wanted to change out FSB or install a free float handgaurd you can with out going through the pinning and welding hassle.

markm
06-18-09, 19:09
Even for 14.5, SBRing is worth it. That way you can change flash hiders, add silencer mounts, etc.

C4IGrant
06-18-09, 19:19

What are your thoughts?

If you are going to go through all the pain of a tax stamp, at least get something short!

C4

LOKNLOD
06-18-09, 19:24
Even for 14.5, SBRing is worth it. That way you can change flash hiders, add silencer mounts, etc.

Nah. If you put a little forethought into your build, you won't need to bother with pulling stuff off later. And for the $200 you save now you can afford to have the hider removed/replaced later if you decide you absolutely have to reconfigure.

DRich
06-18-09, 19:31
I agree...I have several SBR's and I won't pay for a tax stamp unless I was going 12.5" or shorter. I just can't justify paying $200 for 1.5" of barrel.

hatt
06-18-09, 19:38
I agree...I have several SBR's and I won't pay for a tax stamp unless I was going 12.5" or shorter. I just can't justify paying $200 for 1.5" of barrel.

The $200 is the least of the problems IMO. Screwing with paperwork, signoffs, trusts, corps, travel hassles, can't let anyone have possession of it, harder to sell, engraving, etc isn't worth 1.5 inches. If it was just pay $200 and play, that wouldn't be bad.

glockshooter
06-18-09, 20:14
I would not bother with the process if you only want a 14.5". I have botha 10.5 and a pinned 14.5. If you can get what you want without going through the NFA BS why bother. You can also have a pinned FH/MB removed and changed. I had it done with my 14.5". I changed it from a MB to a suppressor mount. Either way you get what you want, but one way is a whole lot better.

Matt

FMF_Doc
06-18-09, 20:19
The NFA issue isn't a big deal, I already know it would be approved.

I was thinking along the lines of is 1.5 inches of barrel worth $200 stamp?

Also I don't plan on ever owning a suppressor.

It will be built around the Knights RIS, and basically replicate in semi only my last issue M4.

DRich
06-18-09, 20:26

As I stated above, it's not worth it to me. Of course, once you pay the tax, you're free to put any length barrel you want on the rifle (with no extra fees) as long as you send a short note to the NFA branch advising them of the change.

No Bananas
06-18-09, 22:12

Ditto

adh
06-19-09, 09:22
Regarding getting into 3 gun, I wouldn't bother with an SBR if your intent is a 3 gun competition AR. You'd be more likely to start leaning to a longer than 16" barrel than going to a less than 16" in a 3 gun AR

markm
06-19-09, 09:50
But once you slap a stamp on the lower (so to speak) you can buy a really short upper as well.

Permafying on a 14.5 is the equivalent of rape. The emotional scars will always be there.

Thomas M-4
06-19-09, 10:09

Also I don't plan on ever owning a suppressor.

It will be built around the Knights RIS, and basically replicate in semi only my last issue M4.

If all you are wanting to do is replicate your issue M-4 and have no plans for a shorter barrel. Then a $200 tax stamp is probable a waste for you.

User Name
06-19-09, 11:53
For 14.5 I would just perm a Sabre elongated A2

hatt
06-19-09, 12:15
But once you slap a stamp on the lower (so to speak) you can buy a really short upper as well.

Permafying on a 14.5 is the equivalent of rape. The emotional scars will always be there.

There's going to be emotional scars in any case. It's emotionally taxing to have to ask daddy for permission to take your property with you every time you go out of state.:p

FMF_Doc
06-19-09, 13:00
I travel a lot these days, taking the AR with me as a truck gun, sounds like SBR will create more hassle than it's worth. It's not uncommon to work in 2-3 different states in the same week.

The Sabre A2 type FH seems to be the solution, I really wanted an SBR a couple of years ago but have been weighing other options. The less I have to deal with Uncle Scrooge the better.

Thomas M-4
06-19-09, 21:58
I travel a lot these days, taking the AR with me as a truck gun, sounds like SBR will create more hassle than it's worth. It's not uncommon to work in 2-3 different states in the same week.

The Sabre A2 type FH seems to be the solution, I really wanted an SBR a couple of years ago but have been weighing other options. The less I have to deal with Uncle Scrooge the better.

I just posted a pic of my 14.5'' upper with a saber defense extended A2
just to give you an idea https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9630&page=13
Dennys guns did it I am happy with the work I just need to add a little cold blueing.

johnclark075
06-19-09, 22:35
So removing a permanently attached flash hider is almost always a no-no?

FMF_Doc
06-19-09, 22:39

If it's not a registered gun and you end up with a less than legal configuration yes it's a bad thing, you can get in trouble for having an unregistered short barrelled rifle or busted for constructive intent, by having the parts to build an illegal gun.

Thomas M-4
06-19-09, 22:39

You can remove it for work or what ever but you have to replace it. The extended FH because it will be destroyed in the process.