PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody.....

Mr.Goodtimes
06-18-09, 20:29
Put grease on the bolt lugs and the cam pin on the bcg?

those seem to be high pressure/friction areas so i thought id put some grease there to help slick things up a little. does anybody else do this? good idea? i dont put a lot on there.

Cagemonkey
06-18-09, 20:56
I tried using grease on the bolt lugs and cam pin. I found that the grease would get thicker as the weapon fouled from firing. Its my opinion, for the weight of the M16/AR15 parts and the close tolerances between the parts, its better to use a good gun lube. IMHO Grease will only make the rifle get sluggish and could lead to reliability issues.

Safetyhit
06-18-09, 22:59
Do not use grease.

rychencop
06-18-09, 23:10
no grease...always use oil.

5pins
06-18-09, 23:19
James Yeager of Tactical response thinks it is a good idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXIsKEHo-4g&feature=channel_page

DRich
06-18-09, 23:27
No grease here. Just oil.

Safetyhit
06-18-09, 23:31
James Yeager of Tactical response thinks it is a good idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXIsKEHo-4g&feature=channel_page

Another good reason to avoid grease.

CLHC
06-18-09, 23:34
Thought I read somewhere to "grease bad guys, not guns." :p

RogerinTPA
06-19-09, 08:36
Put grease on the bolt lugs and the cam pin on the bcg?

those seem to be high pressure/friction areas so i thought id put some grease there to help slick things up a little. does anybody else do this? good idea? i dont put a lot on there.

Completely unnecessary. Any descent weapon oil will do, even vehicle motor oil. Stay away from the light weight oils (WD40, Remoil). They will work in a pinch if it's all you got, for emergency lube, but won't last as long.

markm
06-19-09, 08:43
Grease on the bolt lugs seems like a bad idea for the above mentioned issues. But I've used it on the cam pin and carrier bearing rails with great sucess for years.

The cam pin assembly on any other machine would obviously be a grease point and not an oil point. And the rails on the carrier are ideal because you keep a light lube where you want it instead of gettling oil all over the inside of the receiver.... and thus having a greater surface area for grit to stick to.

Mr.Goodtimes
06-19-09, 11:57
ill probably knock it off then with the grease.

just out of curiosity, would gear oil make a good AR lubricant? its smells like shit but its a thicker oil that i would think would resist heat well?

CLHC
06-19-09, 13:32
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6443&highlight=synthetic

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24105&highlight=synthetic

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24459&highlight=synthetic

spamsammich
06-19-09, 13:38
ill probably knock it off then with the grease.

just out of curiosity, would gear oil make a good AR lubricant? its smells like shit but its a thicker oil that i would think would resist heat well?

It would probably do ok, but I could never get past the smell. I HATE draining my transmission to the point where I'll pay to have it done just to not have any part of me smell like gear oil.

USBP379
06-19-09, 14:34
Another good reason to avoid grease.

I agree.

Iraqgunz
06-19-09, 17:24
TW-25B works pretty good. I have used it on my Noveske without issue. In the Coast Guard we used on the M242 25MM cannon.

thopkins22
06-19-09, 18:05
Paul Howe uses a shitload of grease on just about everything in his upper...but not on the locking lugs. I don't remember his gun malfunctioning or growing warts as a function of it either. I don't currently use grease because oil works just fine, but I plan to try grease on the cam pin and carrier rails in the future.

ETA: Should we avoid trigger control sight alignment and the four basic rules of firearms safety because Yeager says those are important too? Perhaps we should avoid Glocks? Please.:rolleyes:

Mr.Goodtimes
06-19-09, 18:07
im switchin off to Mobil 1 15w50

Thomas M-4
06-19-09, 19:33
im switchin off to Mobil 1 15w50

I use mobil 1 synthetic I am happy with it.

Saginaw79
06-19-09, 19:40
I dont use grease at all on ANY firearm!

It just gunks up

Uni-Vibe
06-19-09, 22:18
Breakfree LP generously on the bolt carrier group (gas rings, cam pin, lugs)

Breakfree CLP lightly on the firing pin

Breakfree CLP everywhere else.

Scottso
06-19-09, 22:27
AR-Oil
M1A-Grease!

Blankwaffe
06-20-09, 01:29
TW-25B works pretty good. I have used it on my Noveske without issue. In the Coast Guard we used on the M242 25MM cannon.

+1
I used the TW25B for a long time without issue when applied correctly....I actually prefered using the TW25B EP mix for the AR as it aided in application consistency.S-28/Pat from TOS turned me onto TW25B many years ago and I have to say its verygood stuff.

All that being said I actually prefer a good CLP/oil like Weapon Shield over the Mil-comm for the AR.Much easier to deal with IMHO and Ive seen no reason to use anything heavier.

Like Iraqgunz always says,I also PM my weapons as if it was a religion and run them wet.

Regardless of what type of lube is used,the two golden rules coming from the WWII vets in my family when I was growing up that was literally hammered into my brain is:

"the sun never sets on a dirty weapon"
"if it moves...keep it lubed"

So I do as I was told and no issues as a result.

I do prefer a good grease on the bearing surfaces of my pistols...always have and always will.

markm
06-20-09, 12:05
WOW! I'm shocked to see so many people not reaping the benefits of grease in specific areas of the AR.

Thomas M-4
06-20-09, 12:26
WOW! I'm shocked to see so many people not reaping the benefits of grease in specific areas of the AR.

I am going to try some brownell's ALP moly grease on the cam pin and cam pin slot.
I just have not felt a urgent need to but I will give it a try soon.