PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Kit

Barbara
06-18-09, 21:32
Going on a short trip next weekend. Hiking a few miles and then camping in the woods for 2 nights/3 days. There will be 6 of us, I think.

What to take for a medical kit?

Limitations are that I'm the smallest and carrying my tent/sleeping bag/camel back, etc. is not going to leave a lot of room/weight for me to carry a lot. It's possible I can push something off on one the guys, but I'd prefer not to. So the kit has to be small.

I've got the standard trauma stuff ..and everyone there will probably have a standard first aid kit so I can go light on the bandaids and tylenol..but also we're going to be several miles from civilization so anything that might happen is going to have to be dealt with as much as possible there. What else would you include?

I'm going to toss some Silvadene in, benedryl, ice packs.

FMF_Doc
06-18-09, 21:42
The basic first aid kit should be just fine, especially if everyone else will have their own kit as well.

the usual bandage/splint stuff, a pocket mask, a mylar space blanket, some duct tape, plus triple antibiotic ointment, ibuprofen, tylenol, benadryl, and pseudophedrine.

Barbara
06-18-09, 22:17
Yeah, I'm actually pitching things out but want to make sure I have the best possible combination.

(Unrelated to the thread: My son is FMF, too)

Gutshot John
06-19-09, 10:26
This is a bit old-school but it should have everything you'd possibly need outside of a few of the meds. I don't think you really need to worry about splints, you can make one pretty easily if you know what you're doing.

http://www.qm-supply.com/zenstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_16&products_id=66

I'd keep things simple in terms of medication. ASA can do everything that ibuprofen and tylenol can do. As for allergy stuff, you're not the pharmacy...I'd make sure others carry their own if they're susceptible. Bendryl might be worthwhile if there is lots of poison ivy about.

FMF_Doc
06-19-09, 13:13
I only pack meds for me nowadays, since it is a planned trip each individual should be responsible for their own, but as general first aid items the bacitracin, and benadryl are always a good idea.

I am used to being expected to have everything for every situation that could possibly be encountered, so I tend to overpack aid kits (always assuming worst case, mass casualty,etc.).

Simple is best, especially for a backpacking trip.... duct tape is the stuff of legends.

Barbara
06-19-09, 20:47
Yeah, same thing..we're each responsible for our own and I'm going to have enough going carrying enough supplies for myself..not big enough to carry enough for everyone..but its always good to look at the possibility and plan responses ahead of time, especially since we'll be a ways out.

I think the Silvadene, allergy meds and an extra cold pack will be the additions to the day to day things.

Kimbo
06-19-09, 21:50
Latex gloves, bandages, neosporin, alcohol pads, benadryl stick, and asprin/ib profuen. Also get some twissers and medical sheers.

Tol
10-15-09, 10:14
super glue (poor man's Dermabond)
10cc syringe for irrigation
chunk of bar Soap
a mess of 4x4s
Steri-strips

That will close most wounds and doesn't take much space.

00leland00
10-15-09, 12:26
A couple of Sam Splints wouldn't be a bad idea. They're light and compact well.

Ak44
10-15-09, 12:52
Space blanket
EMT Shears
Needles or tweezers
Tourniquet (or something capable of being one)
Bandages
Neosporin
Alcohol swabs
Aspirin
Pint of Jack Daniels

Doc Solo
10-15-09, 21:54
lots of good advice already posted.

a bunch of good can be done with a couple cravats, duct tape. (I take a full roll of duct tape to tape sprains and all the other things duct tape is great for). As others said, but has also been debated before, the splinting can be improvised. Your call on the SAM.

bleeding control stuff. ace wrap.

blister stuff. i use duct tape, but some prefer moleskin or 2nd skin

ASA
NSAID in case the pain is due to injury esp. sprains, strains.
Sudafed
Pepto tabs, antacids: reflux pops up in cold weather camping due to eating then hopping into a tent for the evening, lying down.
Lomotil
Cough drops or the cough strips that dissolve. (smaller packaging)
Since it is flu season the nyquil/dayquil gel capsules are handy.

I put all meds in a ziplock, tear off the back of the box where the dosing info is and put that in the ziplock.

an epi pen. benadryl

topicals: neomycin, anti fungal, cortisone. also good for chafing, if your clients/friends arent used to hiking, hot spots can get huge and ruin a trip.

tweezers, a needle or two.

small scissors

couple pair of gloves, cpr barrier (the kind that fold flat, low bulk).

photon light clipped to the first aid kit. good for looking in ears, noses, throats, etc

q-tips and an eye cup for inverting lids, cleaning eyes. small bottle of saline.

floss. lots of uses.

and then whatever extra you have training to use.

I'd ditch the cold packs. I don't think they get all that cold, they weigh a lot, they are bulky, and when they leak, its a mess. Too much weight for too little utility.