PDA

View Full Version : Room for a BUIS

pherharris
06-19-09, 19:07
I have a Colt 6920. The handguard is thicker than most and prevents me from mounting my EOTech 512 very far up on the rail. Is there enough room on the rail for a BUIS? If not what do I do?

Thanks,
Chris

Iraqgunz
06-19-09, 19:09
You may be able to put a riser on there. My suggestion would be to get a decent rail system and slap it on.

pherharris
06-19-09, 19:28
I really don't want a rail system. I love the handguard on the Colt and want to keep it. I am not one for over accessorizing. All I really want is forward grip and a BUIS. The heat shield makes it difficult to mount a forward grip so I am down to a BUIS.

Chris

pherharris
06-19-09, 21:15
Would an Eotech riser raise my sight enough to go over my handguard?

Chris

DRich
06-19-09, 21:16
Back when I used EoTech optics, I ran 512's and various fixed/folding BUIS behind them with no issues on the receiver rail. There is plenty of room up there. The LaRue LT110 mount will raise it enough to get the nose of the sight above the rear of the handguards, but it's not really necessary unless you want a lower 1/3 co-witness with the irons. My favorite rear BUIS is the LaRue fixed sight. Only requires one slot on the rail.

Things only get tricky if you want to run a magnifier behind the EoTech.

Kilo 1-1
06-19-09, 21:28
I have a Larue EOtech riser, and it will raise your optic high enough to clear the heat guard. I run a KAC RAS, but I slapped my old stock heat guard on it to try it.

pherharris
06-19-09, 21:30
The handguard on a LE6920 is thicker than other handguards. If this would work it would be great. Does any one have experience with my particular gun.

Chris

DRich
06-19-09, 21:31
The handguard on a LE6920 is thicker than other handguards. If this would work it would be great. Does any one have experience with my particular gun.

Chris

Yes, I did it on a 6920...two of them, actually. The handguards are the same size as every other M4-spec handguard.

pherharris
06-19-09, 21:45
DRich, Thanks. Another example of me making a mistake. Thanks. Do you have any pics.

Chris

DRich
06-19-09, 21:49
DRich, Thanks. Another example of me making a mistake. Thanks. Do you have any pics.

Chris

No...I gave up on EoTech a while back and I don't have any old pictures. But I know for sure that the ARMS #40 folding BUIS & the LaRue fixed BUIS will fit behind your 512.

I'd still get the LT110 mount for your 512, though.

SWATcop556
06-20-09, 00:50
The Larue riser will allow you to be able to mount the EOThingy further out on the receiver and IIRC will also move the BUIS to a lower 1/3 co-witness. I would grab the EO riser and the Larue BUIS. If I was running an EO this is the setup I would use.

Mr. Happy
06-20-09, 10:45
Sounds like they're trying to wave you off EOTech, Chris!

Jerry R
06-20-09, 14:22
I have a Colt 6920. The handguard is thicker than most and prevents me from mounting my EOTech 512 very far up on the rail. Is there enough room on the rail for a BUIS? If not what do I do?

Thanks,
Chris

Simple answer to your first question is Yes, there is room for a BUIS. Most all go into the T1 notch, may or may not overlap T2, and leave T3 showing. That answer does not address co-witness, usability, or other things to think about. Those have been well answered by others in this thread.

I have a similar setup, but using a scope. I will mount either Troy or the new version from YHM.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/AR-15/IMG_0960RearBUISSlots.jpg

pherharris
06-20-09, 15:28
Why not a fan of Eotech? Is it just personal preference or do you have serious problems with them? I just bought it so I can't go buy something else.

Chris

Iraqgunz
06-20-09, 16:33
Their battery life is generally alot less than advertised and the units have a history of crapping out. I have rebuilt at least 90 of the 300+ thay we have. These were all model 552's. There have also been issues with the battery contacts within the battery pack coming out.

Even the SOCOM model had issues which required retrofitting to take place.

Why not a fan of Eotech? Is it just personal preference or do you have serious problems with them? I just bought it so I can't go buy something else.

Chris

SWATcop556
06-20-09, 16:45
Their battery life is generally alot less than advertised and the units have a history of crapping out. I have rebuilt at least 90 of the 300+ thay we have. These were all model 552's. There have also beein issues with the battery contacts within the battery pack coming out.

Even the SOCOM model had issues which required retrofitting to take place.

IG pretty much summed it up. When I first got into LE work I was runnig an EOTech. I like it but the battery life was horrible. I should have bought stock in the 123 battery companies.

Another complaint I had was the circle around the dot reticle washed out targets for me that were at greater distances. 25-50 yards and the reticle worked very well. Passed that I had a difficult time making precision shots.

The first one I owned shit the bed in the middle of my first SWAT school. New batteries didn't fix it and I finished the school with an Aimpoint ML3 in a Larue LT-129 mount. I loved the new optic setup with the improved battery life so much I have one on all of my CQB rifles. I just buy a new battery every January and leave them all on all year. Cheap insurance.

Dollars to doughnuts the Aimpoint advantages far outweigh the higher price.

Just my .02 :cool:

DRich
06-20-09, 17:22
I was a big EoTech fan for a long time. Very stubborn about it, too. Even when they would crap out on me, I'd try to rationalize it by saying I was just too hard on my weapons. I tended to ignore the fact that the Aimpoints around me were still running just fine. As they say, "None are so blind as those who refuse to see." However, I eventually saw the light.

I still have a couple of 512's that I use for range guns. They work just fine in that role and I know there are some very elite units that use/prefer them, but my training rifles all wear Aimpoints now and they don't care how much abuse I dish out. I admit I do like the A65 reticle in the EoTech's, but the single Aimpoint dot hasn't handicapped me yet. Plus, if I buy a new one today and leave it on, my 2yo twins will be in 2nd grade before the batteries are dead. :)