PDA

View Full Version : XTM panels, Troy Rails, and Troy BUIS questions.

kwelz
06-19-09, 23:04
I have two questions but didn't want to dirty up the board with 2 threads.

1st off I am trying to put XTM panels on my Troy DI rail. The sides snap on fine however the bottom ones will not click together. Has anyone else had this issue? I guess it is possible the rail is a bit out of spec but It seems like it would have to be pretty bad to keep them from locking on.

Secondly I swapped out the ARMS #40 on my 6940 for a Troy BUIS. The ARMS was dead on with it being close to centered However the TROY had to be cranked a bit over halfway to the left to be lined up with my AIMPOINT. I actually tried a different Troy first but it had to be cranked almost all the way to the stop to be in line. Am I doing something wrong here?

Icculus
06-20-09, 00:20
I can only comment on the XTM's not the buis. Some of mine took a little bit of effort. Nothing major. For some pairs I needed to put the halves on at the same time where as other pairs I would need to put one side on and hold it tight in place and then kinda work the other one in. I'm doing a piss poor job of explaining what I mean but hopefully it makes sense. Either way they both locked up rock solid; just few minutes of fumbling

SWATcop556
06-20-09, 00:43
Regarding the XTM panels when I put them on the rail for the first time it always helped me out to put them together without locking them into each other then move them onto the rail. After they have been on and off a few times they will be easier to engage on the rail, yet will still lock up positively.

About the BUIS I always like to zero my irons then move my red dot to the top of my front sight post. I use to zero my optic then move my irons to match but I notice that my rear aperture was almost touching the left side of the sight. When I would zero the BUIS then move the RDS to match I didn't have quite as much off-set.

It is completely unscientific but thats what I have found works for me.

bkb0000
06-20-09, 01:27
yea... zeroing your irons to your dot isn't gonna work.. the dot follows your eye, so it's totally cheekweld dependent. depending on where your head is, you gonna be taking your irons all over the place.

zero irons, then dot.

SWATcop556
06-20-09, 01:31
yea... zeroing your irons to your dot isn't gonna work.. the dot follows your eye, so it's totally cheekweld dependent. depending on where your head is, you gonna be taking your irons all over the place.

zero irons, then dot.

That explains why the zero will change when you have a dip in or not. :cool:

kwelz
06-20-09, 07:10
My mistake then. I had sighted them both in seperatly before and the dot rests on top of the Front sight post. I assumed I could just line the new BUIS with the dot and be set.

steeltoe
06-20-09, 13:41
Couple of things. My Troy BUIS on my MP15X came drifted left from the factory. I of course centered it before zeroing the rifle. I ended up having to drift the rear to the left so I guess the factory was right. A few other folks had to do the same its inherent with the Troy sight.

Searching around for rail panels it was often mentioned the XTM and Troy rails fight each other. I have no idea why just going from what I found while searching for rail panels.

andy t
06-20-09, 14:09
I have the same issue with the bottom XTM panels not snapping. I contacted Troy and apparently it's a machining issue. They are supposed to be sending me a replacement rail. Email Troy and let them know you have an issue as well.