PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased s&w M&P15 some noob questions..

damagedworld
06-20-09, 02:36
ok so i have this new rifle will shoot it wed.. but i have SO many questions...

1. the stock is fine for now.. but i want one as short as it will go pinned of course.. my really small g/f will be shooting the weapon and the length is really long now.. so how do i deal with this.. ive already started to take a look at how it works.. and it looks like even if i removed the pin.. slid it forward and repined everything it could still only go about an inch forward because the buffer tube? is longer than it should be..i would like to get an additional stock setup that is pinned in its shortest legal configuration.. i understand swapping stocks back and forth is not difficult? after reading a lot the tube dictates the style.. i read that my tube is mil spec... but do i need a shorted mil spec tube? a little confused on this..

2. i need iron sights as it came with only a reflex sight but i want to put my aimpoint on this and be able to co-witness.. so what iron sights are the right height to allow co-witness.. right now there is a bsa reflex sight.. don't know if this sight is garbage?

3. don't need right now but how do i determine what front hand guards will work with this weapon..

i think thats it for now.. thanks in advance...
Edit/Delete Message

CLHC
06-20-09, 02:45
ok so. . .
1. the stock. . .i want. . .as short as it will go pinned of course. . .my really small g/f will be shooting the weapon and the length is really long now. . .i would like to get an additional stock setup that is pinned in its shortest legal configuration. . .
There's the "Entry Buttstock Kit" from Rock River Arms (guessing that the LOP is "short"). Maybe, possibly that'll help out some.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy! :cool:

damagedworld
06-20-09, 02:47
There's the "Entry Buttstock Kit" from Rock River Arms (guessing that the LOP is "short"). Maybe, possibly that'll help out some.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy! :cool:

there are a LOT of reasons i can't own that living in NJ.. lol

but thanks for the suggestion

Dunderway
06-20-09, 03:27
there are a LOT of reasons i can't own that living in NJ.. lol

but thanks for the suggestion

Are you sure? It's just a short, fixed A2 type stock. Also look into the Sully stock.

damagedworld
06-20-09, 09:32
Are you sure? It's just a short, fixed A2 type stock. Also look into the Sully stock.

well yeah i can't own a flash hider or collapsible stock in NJ.. but lets be real.. i JUST purchased the gun.. and while his suggestion with some work COULD be a viable solution.. $600 to change a whole upper when i could just change the stock seems excessive..

i read some more last night.. and i think i understand that i can put any stock on it.. but the actual tube seems too to get it really short..

phirehawk
06-20-09, 09:41
For the stock, look into the following products (both are fixed short stocks that can not be adjusted):
Sully Stock
ACE ARFX Entry stock

Any carbine length handguards will fit, but the factory ones do everything you need (keep your hands from getting burnt).

The AR has very little recoil, so cheapo red dots hold up surprisingly well. You are better off with a 20 dollar sight and four hundred dollars in ammo, training and range time than an EOTech/Aimpoint with no ammo or training. Of course, I plan on mastering my iron sights before going to a red dot style... walk before you run. Unsure what iron rears will co-witness with a sight not designed specifically for the AR. I'd get a decent set (or cut down an A2 detachable) and see if they did.

Find the 2009 copy of Book of the AR-15 by Guns and Ammo (should still be on shelves). Patrick Sweeny did a great article on owning your first AR that applies here.

damagedworld
06-20-09, 12:18
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=183579

if i get that.. JUST as an example.. what else would i need to use it on my rifle.. (s&w m&p15)

SwatDawg15
06-20-09, 12:30
well yeah i can't own a flash hider or collapsible stock in NJ.. but lets be real.. i JUST purchased the gun.. and while his suggestion with some work COULD be a viable solution.. $600 to change a whole upper when i could just change the stock seems excessive..

i read some more last night.. and i think i understand that i can put any stock on it.. but the actual tube seems too to get it really short..

Why would you change the whole upper? All he said was the short stock made by RRA, instead of a pined. You need to do allot of reading if you think you have to change the upper to get a shorter stock :rolleyes:

damagedworld
06-20-09, 12:44
Why would you change the whole upper? All he said was the short stock made by RRA, instead of a pined. You need to do allot of reading if you think you have to change the upper to get a shorter stock :rolleyes:

my apologies.. when i searched that last night i found a link where it came coupled with an entire upper.. which i do not need.. i FULLY understand that i do NOT need to change the upper to change the stock..

the only thing i do NOT understand thus far is why the buffer tube on my rifle seems SO long..

im experiencing the same thing this person is..
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=825686&postcount=17

so what im trying to understand is to change to a shorter stock i have 3 options..

1) go to a unit like ACE that includes the tube.. that is of course assuming that this will work with my weapon which im pretty sure it will..

2) replace the tube? seek an item like the adjustable magpull unit and pin it where i want it..

3) a traditional solid stock that is shorter as well.. i don't know if these come with tubes or not..

the bottom line is that it appears for MOST adjustable stocks you retain your own tube? and that is where im confused as mine is really long.. just to be clear while im new to the AR platform this is not my first firearm.. ive done a lot of work on AK platform rifles.. converted and built a decent amount of Saigas back over to true AK configuration.. so I am here to learn what all the hype is about.. and hopefully put together a nice functional rifle.. ;)

damagedworld
06-20-09, 15:50
ok.. ive read more and more and i now realize that with pretty much every stock im going to have to replace this obnoxiously long buffer tube..

what lengths are buffer tubes sold in? ive seen several for sale but have NO idea how to figure out the length..

thanks..

Iraqgunz
06-22-09, 15:48
MODS- WE NEED TO DELETE THIS CLOWN. ALL OF HIS POSTS ARE NOTHING BUT SPAM.

Ready for hardcore backcountry adventures, the Invader is designed to stand up to rigorous use. The jacket's critical seams are taped to prevent water or snow from penetrating while additional seams are constructed in such a way that water and snow will roll off and not catch in the exposed end of a seam, in what Spyder calls a "shingling a seam.” It has a detachable hood with a web print lining. Underarm ventilation zippers allow you to remove the sleeves. discount ski jacket (http://www.jacketsworld.com/spyder-mens-discount-suit-white-p-59/) is detailed with custom Spyder logos, hardware, and zipper pulls.