PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried the FailZero coated BCG's or kits?

maximus83
06-20-09, 04:31
Saw an article in this month's American Rifleman about the FailZero coated kits for AR-15's and other firearms. For AR's, the company produces what they call EXO technology, a "permanent nickel boride coating applied to high friction parts". The idea is that these can extend the service life of critical parts and reduce required amount of lube. According to the article, the FailZero's patented AR-15 has gone 60K rounds thus far. You can get either a standard coated BCG kit, or an extended kit that includes a BCG, hammer, upper receiver, and charging handle.

I don't particularly NEED one of these kits, as I have upgraded my AR's to use BCM BCG's and am quite happy with them. But I just thought these coatings sounded interesting for their potential to increase service life, and wondered if anyone has tried these kits yet. A search through M4c yielded only 1 or 2 mentions in past threads, but no other information.

http://www.failzero.com/armory/ar-15.html

DRich
06-20-09, 04:36
If you do a search you can find some posts from Grant. He seems to like them.

JSGlock34
06-20-09, 07:47
Also discussed in this thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4489&page=3)...Saw this on the Fail Zero homepage.

EXO coated Knight’s Armament BCG with 3500 rounds unlubricated used by Chris Costa in Vickers Tactical class shootout.

Vickers Tactical put on an invite only class for M4C and invited guests the weekend of March 14, 2009. Chris Costa of Magpul Dynamics walked away with top honors in the match after performing extremely well on the shooting stages. Chris shot very well throughout the class and managed to claim top spot in a lot of drills. Chris was using a Knight’s Armament bolt carrier group coated with EXO technology. He has over 3500 rounds on this BCG and has not lubricated it. Just clean and go. Congratulations Chris, on the great shooting. Keep us informed as you continue with your test firing.

Here's Mr. Costa's comments...

It has about 5,000 rounds through the new coating.

1. I clean it every 1,200
2. I, I oil the bolt only, it's mechanical so it does help if you put well over 1,000 rounds without cleaning it.
3. It does clean fast.
4. Don't think this is going to get you out of cleaning, the standard gun has allot of gas that does start to coat and dirty everything in the chamber area, but there coating will assist in long term shooing and no cleaning for emergency situations.
5. There coating for certain piston manufactures is awesome and does just wipe off, but that is a different platform.
6. when I first got it I put over one thousand rounds through it with no oil in my upper or on the BCG, however follow #2 and you'll never have a problem

Just remember, on gas guns you still need to give a little TLC.

best

Christopher E. Costa
Magpul Dynamics LLC.
Director Of Training
904-704-1970
www.magpuldynamics.com

phirehawk
06-20-09, 09:02
I think if I were going to spend three hundred smacks, I'd buy an enhanced LMT BCG. Dunno, looks interesting though.

Brewman
09-17-09, 18:57
http://www.shootingwire.com/archived/2009-08-31_sw.html

ACT659
01-03-10, 07:13
I can't share anything yet on the coating. I have only had it a short time. However mine came with a poor carrier staking job. i have a call in to FZ. We will see what thier cust. service is like.

variablebinary
01-03-10, 08:19
They look interesting. Thinking about ditching my piston LWRC and going DI with a FZ BCG

KingsideRook
01-03-10, 20:54
I wish I had the expendable ammo and class time to start putting rounds through a Failzero bolt carrier group, next to the BCM IONBond BCG I already have and see how long they will roll along under high round count without issues. BUT, since Costa's got 3500 rounds through one, and I don't see the point in simply running my own 3500+ rounds through rifle without even light lube just to see if I can get it to hiccup. It's not a realistic test, even with a Tactical Wheelbarrow full of ammo and enough targets to use it all up, I'd find a way to clean and lightly lube my rifle, advanced metal finish or not.

I still want one, maybe I'll grab one sometime soon.