PDA

View Full Version : M9 locking blocks

Slater
06-20-09, 08:38
I know it's probably been posted here somewhere, but what's the recommended replacement interval for the Beretta M9 locking block?

ToddG
06-20-09, 18:22
Depends completely on which generation it is. For a true .mil gun, I'd replace pretty much immediately and then as often as every 5k if only early gen 1 blocks are available.

If the gun was manufactured since 2001, then the block probably has a service life around 20k rounds safely. However, due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, once in a while a seemingly perfect locking block will crack much earlier. Nothing you can do about it.

Also, note that it may not be as simple as just dropping a new block into the gun. You need to make sure the locking block is mating evenly with both shoulders in the slide. Otherwise, you accelerate wear on the block. That's why you'll see a .mil gun go 10k before it breaks a block, then 5k on the second block, then 2k, then 1k ... and people blame the gun. It's not the gun. It's the armorer who is failing to follow proper protocol.

Slater
06-20-09, 18:39
Appreciate the info.

Dunderway
06-20-09, 23:53
Is there an easy way to tell the Gen 1 blocks from the improved versions? I thought the new ones were rounded/bevelled?

I've had THREE M9s go down on me during qualification due to this issue. It did not instill confidence in the user. Unlike many, I still really like the platform.

PlatoCATM
06-21-09, 00:31
Is there an easy way to tell the Gen 1 blocks from the improved versions? I thought the new ones were rounded/bevelled?

Look for round cutouts where the lugs meet the block. On older locking blocks, the lugs form a 90 degree corner with the block.

Todd,
Thanks for the info; I was never taught this. I knew the AF never taught me much beyond the replacement of parts, but this is one instance where the prevalence of such a problem necessitates more than simple replacement.

Dunderway
06-21-09, 00:38
Look for round cutouts where the lugs meet the block. On older locking blocks, the lugs form a 90 degree corner with the block.

Thanks for the info. Any idea on what year the civvy models started shipping with the new blocks? For some reason I have the urge to purchase a 92F shortly.

ToddG
06-21-09, 09:08
My recollection is that the Gen 3 blocks started shipping around 2001, give or take a year.

If you hit BerettaForum.net (http://berettaforum.net) there is a sticking lying around somewhere that has photos of each generation LB.

Dunderway
06-21-09, 16:33
Thanks.