PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal 106 "BD" series/Iron dot?'s

Terry
06-20-09, 08:39
I am thinking about buying an Arsenal 106 FR.
The present owner states it is a BD series and not subject to the problems associated with some of Arsenals rifles.
Are the "BD" series generally reguarded as being less problematic?
And lastly, Is the Larue Iron dot a quality RDS, or should I just get an Aimpoint?
Thank you, Terry.

TOrrock
06-20-09, 10:26
I'm honestly not aware of what he thinks a "BD" series is....the first two letters in the serial number are going to have a B and something, but I haven't heard that they're supposed to be any better than anything else.

I'm not saying that there might not be something to it, I just haven't heard of it.

Can you eyeball the rifle before you buy it? If the rifle has a polished feed ramp and the front sight is put on well, you should be good to go.

I have one of the early rifles released and it's always been 100%, but that wasn't the case with all of the early guns.

I have tried a Pride Fowler set up on one of Katar's earliest versions of his set up and it was hard to zero, didn't hold zero, and washed out in bright light. He switched to an Aimpoint after TD1 and never looked back.

USBP379
06-20-09, 13:35
My Arsenal SLR 106 has been solid as a rock. Mine was an early model but I have had no troubles with it and it shot to point of aim, right out of the box. I carry it folded up in my truck everywhere I go, I absolutely love it.

Hey, my vote for optics is a Kobra sight! Keep it com-bloc looking if you ask me. My Kobra is actually quite user friendly and I shoot very accurately with it. There's also a red dot sight that looks a bit like Aimpoint out there, but I can't tell you the name of it. Maybe Katar knows. Either way, they mount to the side of your receiver and the aesthetics of them compliments the AK.

As for testimonies on the optics you mentioned, I own the T1, and a Burris fast fire, and I love the T1, but the Burris is a bitch to get sighted in, you have to make real fine adjustments on itty bitty screws and the dot looks kinda fat and sloppy to me-I don't like the sight picture. I have it mounted as a short range back up to a 3-9 scope, but that's all I'll ever use it for.

Another option is to run the picatinney (sp?) scope mount that attaches to the side rail, I believe you can find them on K-Var. Then mount a T1 on that. That would be a snazzy setup.

Best of luck, and enjoy.

Terry
06-20-09, 15:38
The guy I'm buying it from is in TX, so pictures is all the inspection I would have.
It is NIB.
I know from doing research here and other places, some 106's have had problems, and that the factory is not always responsive to making it right.
So the aimpoint is the way to go?
Thanks for the help, Terry.
Edited to say i'm going to pass on the 106.