PDA

View Full Version : Custom-fitted ear inserts?

maximus83
06-20-09, 12:26
I'm curious if others have tried custom-fitted ear plugs, and what you found to be the advantages (if any) compared to standard foam plugs or "one size fits all" inserts.

I'm going to an Audiologist in my area that has a very good reputation for helping with all kinds of hearing solutions, from hearing protection, to hearing aids, etc. They are telling me that rather than relying on foam plugs, I might do a lot better with a custom-fit ear plug, as it'll be more comfortable and probably give better protection anyway. It's a little pricey at around $160, but would be worth it if they do a good job.

The other question is, if I decide to go with these custom plugs, are there any particular options or specific companies I should consider, as opposed to just getting standard ear plugs made by whatever company the Audiologist works with?

tb417
06-20-09, 13:07
I have had two different sets made, first was about 15 years ago at a gun show in So. Cal. The second was about three years ago at a gun show in Spokane. Both are very comfortable, not sure of the db reduction, but neither cost me more than $40.

lindertw
06-20-09, 14:03
My ear/nose/throat doc recommended them to help with frequent ear infections. In addition to keeping water out, they work well on the range. Only cost was my insurance co-pay.

The audiologist sent my molds off to Westone Labs (http://www.westone.com/content/210.html) (I got beige AquaNot's). They're very comfortable, and I find myself wearing them more often than my Leight electronic muffs.

hope this helps...

Army Chief
06-20-09, 14:27
I realize this is technically a one-size-fits-all solution, but the SureFire "Sonic Defenders" EarPro (Ep3/EP4) really surprised me in this area, and offer a near-custom fit for a fraction of the price. Historically, I've used the compressible foam plugs for most of my career, but the SureFires have become my fast favorite over the past couple of years. I'm not negating the value of a true custom fit solution, but the expenditure might not be as warranted today as it once was, depending upon your applications.

AC

Buckaroo
06-20-09, 15:56
I realize this is technically a one-size-fits-all solution, but the SureFire "Sonic Defenders" EarPro (Ep3/EP4) really surprised me in this area, and offer a near-custom fit for a fraction of the price. Historically, I've used the compressible foam plugs for most of my career, but the SureFires have become my fast favorite over the past couple of years. I'm not negating the value of a true custom fit solution, but the expenditure might not be as warranted today as it once was, depending upon your applications.

AC

Same here, tried the Surefires about a 1.5 years ago and just bought a spare pair. They are comfortable and quiet.

Buckaroo

panzerr
06-21-09, 08:56
Be advised that if you have ear canals on the larger side the surefire plugs won't work for you.

rob_s
06-21-09, 09:02
I have a set of the custom-molded plugs, as does the ole' lady and the 12 year old. Frankly for them it's proved to really be the only option.

I like mine for indoor range sessions, wearing under the Sordins when running a shooter using a muzzle break, and for sighting in when the Sordins sometimes get in the way.

I had mine made by a guy at the range for all of us and I agree that they weren't anywhere near $160. not sure what you get for a 4x more expensive option like that.

ToddG
06-21-09, 09:50
I've had two sets of the custom molded earplugs made. One never fit right (poorly made) and actually caused pain along the ridges of my ear when worn for more than half an hour. The second set was comfortable and worked well but eventually began to crack in places. I also had to wash them after every range session.

Eventually, I gave up on them, though. It's just easier for me to keep a handful of foamies in my range bag. They provide maximum protection (30+ NPR), they're cheap, and if someone else needs a set I've always got extra. It takes all of 20 seconds to put them in. With either electronic earpro or no muffs, it's still easy to hear people talk. And because they're disposable, you don't have to worry about washing them, keeping them clean, etc.

I'm not a fan of the Surefire plugs because they provide substantially less hearing protection (16 or 19 NPR depending on model ... that is a lot less protection since sound is measured logarithmically).

I've also tried the AO "Combat Arms" reusable plugs and like them a lot, but again the daily maintenance becomes a hassle. They only survive being vigorously washed so many times, and at almost $10 per pair even in quantity, it gets expensive.

The SilentEar works really well, too, but again they're too expensive to throw away and so you're stuck having to wash them after each session, dry them completely, and store them someplace more or less sterile.

maximus83
06-21-09, 10:45
I appreciate all the responses here. As usual on M4c, you get a range of intelligent responses including different approaches that worked for different people.

Haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, I'm not committed to the custom inserts for sure beyond just getting the hearing test, but I had only talked to this one high-end place, and had not realized there was such a variance in cost among custom plugs.

Also, Todd (as usual) makes some good points for the practical value of just sticking with foamies. I am EXTREMELY protective of my hearing, so I always double up even when I probably don't need to, and the foamies have worked thus far.

Thanks for the responses!

mark1JT
06-21-09, 13:42
+1

I have custom plugs, surefires, foamies and electronic muffs. The foamies protect the best from my experience. Although it is nice to hear a little better with the others. In the end you have to ask if you want hearing protection or to hear a little better. I also always doule up, plugs and elec. muffs. There have been guys I know that are no longer operators because their hearing does not meet standard due to noise exposure, I don't want this to me me or anyone else.

I've had two sets of the custom molded earplugs made. One never fit right (poorly made) and actually caused pain along the ridges of my ear when worn for more than half an hour. The second set was comfortable and worked well but eventually began to crack in places. I also had to wash them after every range session.

Eventually, I gave up on them, though. It's just easier for me to keep a handful of foamies in my range bag. They provide maximum protection (30+ NPR), they're cheap, and if someone else needs a set I've always got extra. It takes all of 20 seconds to put them in. With either electronic earpro or no muffs, it's still easy to hear people talk. And because they're disposable, you don't have to worry about washing them, keeping them clean, etc.

I'm not a fan of the Surefire plugs because they provide substantially less hearing protection (16 or 19 NPR depending on model ... that is a lot less protection since sound is measured logarithmically).

I've also tried the AO "Combat Arms" reusable plugs and like them a lot, but again the daily maintenance becomes a hassle. They only survive being vigorously washed so many times, and at almost $10 per pair even in quantity, it gets expensive.

The SilentEar works really well, too, but again they're too expensive to throw away and so you're stuck having to wash them after each session, dry them completely, and store them someplace more or less sterile.

jdavis6576
06-22-09, 09:29
I recently purchased two sets of Insta-Molds, one set for the range and the other set for mowing my lawn, and so far I've been happy with them. I wash them with mild soap in warm water then set them out to dry but that only takes about as long as washing my hands so to me it isn't a big deal.

I paid $40 for one set and $60 for the other. They are also available with filters that allow you to hear someone speaking to you but since I'm not a range officer or instructor I didn't buy that option.

I don't know how they'll hold up long term but so far so good.

Link: http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic.php

Derek_Connor
06-22-09, 11:14
As expected, not all of these custom ear plugs are created equal. I've had a set since early 09 by some small shop that showed up @ a shoot of ours. My cranium is big enough, not withstanding throwing on an large pair of EARPRO On.

I've seen different ways on how they sat in the ear, here is a left view of mine:

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/1290/3593206045b45e87fd81b1.jpg

It extends up into the outer ear. I've been using these almost every weekend, if not more. My complaints so far:

I can hear EVERYTHING going on inside my heart, lungs, head. You are very intune with how hard or how soft you are breathing, doesn't matter which one compared to foamies or muffs.

Over a 10 hour day of wearing them straight, they are not uncomfortable to the ear, but the affects mentioned above can give me a bit of a head ache (yes I know, midol helps w/that).

But the positives, high db reduction, light weight, easy to put in, stay in, dont make the head/hear uncomfortable after just a couple of strings of fire (for me atleast), aren't awkward to store in your shirt pocket...

just a few that i can think of off the top of my head..

nichud09
06-22-09, 11:34
http://www.ultimateears.com

ultimate ears are fabulous. im a musician for a living so i use these for my job just about everyday, they have built in speakers inside the custom mold. i use them on stage when playing shows, but they also make them without the speakers inside the plugs. you can customize them in any color even or add your own design... ie: bloodtype,unit insignia, cartoon pic, initials, boobs, beer, filet mignon..whatever you can think of they can print on these little molded ear plugs.
When off the road from tour i use these super headphones all the time, to listen to music(even when the airplane attendant asks you to turn off all cell phones and electronic devices, i still have my ipod cranking). my 'in_ears" are transparent clear so it just looks like im wearing a hearing aid, if you even notice them at all. also if you dont like listening to some tunes while shooting on the range, the cable can easliy be removed/un-plugged if you just want to use the custom ear plugs for the range. they are super comfortable, ive been wearing them for 3 years and have played over 100's of concerts, & festivals with them. they are quite pricey tho. but they are the best of best of the best!!!

maximus83
06-22-09, 12:16
More interesting stuff! I went to the Instamold site that Jdavis mentioned, and see that one of their sets gives you an NRR of 29.8. That's fairly close to what my current foamies say they can provide (31 NRR). On the 'Chameleon' line, I can't find what the NRR is, but on the main page is says they can sell you "acoustical filters" that will protect from "high level impulse noises ranging from 140-190dB." That's pretty impressive, given that I've read some large caliber rifles and pistols, especially those modified with ports or brakes, can get up into decibels in the 150's or even 160's.

Derek, do you have a link, or a phone number, to that company you got yours from? Do you know what the NRR is on those?

usp_fan
06-22-09, 15:57
Just a quick hint for those that are washing foam type plugs--the washing machine is your friend. Throw the plugs in an old nylon leg and tie it off or zip them in a delicate's bag so they don't disappear. Don't have one? Sorry, might be time to start dating. Toss the plugs in with your t-shirts and take them out when the wash is done.

Don't send them through the dryer.

jdavis6576
06-23-09, 07:24
More interesting stuff! I went to the Instamold site that Jdavis mentioned, and see that one of their sets gives you an NRR of 29.8. That's fairly close to what my current foamies say they can provide (31 NRR). On the 'Chameleon' line, I can't find what the NRR is, but on the main page is says they can sell you "acoustical filters" that will protect from "high level impulse noises ranging from 140-190dB." That's pretty impressive, given that I've read some large caliber rifles and pistols, especially those modified with ports or brakes, can get up into decibels in the 150's or even 160's.

Derek, do you have a link, or a phone number, to that company you got yours from? Do you know what the NRR is on those?

The $60 pair I have has a NRR of 35 according to the rep, so take that with a grain of salt. I will say that they seem to work better than foamies. The $40 pair is probably on par with foamies.

C45P312
06-23-09, 07:40
I've been meaning to get a pair made. There's a sweet lady that makes them at the local gun shows and is based in VA Beach. And like others have mentioned, i was quoted only $40.

offroad_nomad
06-23-09, 08:42
Go to a local hearing aid center and/or licensed audiologists for your custom ear plugs. Mine were relatively inexpensive and took a few days before I could pick them up. The audiologists I saw took his time to make sure the plugs fit securely and made a number of adjustments before we were satisfied with the results.

Walker Precision
06-23-09, 12:00
Has anyone tried these? I got a couple pairs, but haven't opened them yet.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27163/Product/CUSTOM_MOLDED_EAR_PLUGS