PDA

View Full Version : Daewoo for AK?

CaptainDooley
06-20-09, 12:45
So I've got my AK up for trade (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=32810). It's also posted over at TOS and a guy emailed me offering a Daewoo for it (http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=216572). I didn't even know Daewoo made rifles. Is this a fair/decent trade? What should I know about the Daewoo before I trade for it?

Since it comes with USGI mags I'm assuming it's 5.56 - but I don't even know what the barrel length is or what the twist is on it. Also, can I lose the ugly thumbhole and go with a standard collapsible with pistol grip? Does it have a RE with buffer, or could I get a folder for it?

Mac679
06-20-09, 13:08
The DR200 is a good rifle. It was my first assault rifle. They're extremely reliable (mine has a shit ton of Wolf through it with and I can honestly say it has NEVER malfunctioned). The ROK Army basically spec'd the K1 & K2 after using the M16 for a few years and finding it didn't meet their needs by combining the features of the best assault rifles in the world: AK gas system, AR bolt (simplified) and fire control, and FAL adjustable gas apeture. Or at least that my understanding of where everything came from. My only gripes are it's heavy as hell (it's a beefy bitch) and bad ergonomics (charging handle wrong side and the safety is horrible).

I've been thinking about selling mine for quite some time for a number of reasons that include the ergonomics, it's become superfluous in my collection (LWRC 5.56 and 6.8 uppers take care of any reliability issues for me) and I don't shoot it much anymore---well that and I'm thinning the collection to offset the cost of an AI AWM.
Recent things to come about have made me consider keeping it. They include:
Daewoo Rifle Parts came up with a 90deg selector lever. The stock lever requires a 180 deg rotation to go from safe to fire...in the opposite direction of an M4 going from safe to burst. Other accessories can also be found from this company (rails, scope mounts, etc.)
Ace Ltd. has side folding stocks for the DR200.
One thing I would love to see about doing is making a cut in the left side of the upper to move the charging handle to similar to the Lightning Bolt for the AK-except the DR200 doesn't need a new bolt carrier (as the charging handle is removable and is removed during field stripping to remove the BCG from the rifle), just the cut in the upper reciever.

Hope this helps,

Mac

CaptainDooley
06-20-09, 16:12
My only gripes are it's heavy as hell (it's a beefy bitch) and bad ergonomics (charging handle wrong side and the safety is horrible).

I'm a lefty, so the charging handle might be okay... I need to look at a pic of that side I suppose.

If the safety can be changed to the 90* type, it would be pretty similar to an AR safety, right?

As for the weight, anyone have a weight for it loaded (versus an M4)?

If I start changing stuff up, I assume I'll have to worry about 922r, right?

Business_Casual
06-20-09, 16:20
As for the weight, anyone have a weight for it loaded (versus an M4)?

Do you have the Internets there?

M_P

CaptainDooley
06-20-09, 16:23
Do you have the Internets there?

M_P

Yes indeed. In fact I am currently attempting to use a forum to gather information about something I am in the dark about. Unfortunately I seem to have just now attracted smart ass answers instead of information...

CaptainDooley
06-20-09, 16:27
After some digging it looks like the DR-200 is chambered for .223, not 5.56 - is this correct? Can it be reamed to 5.56 like an AR?

Business_Casual
06-20-09, 17:09
Yes indeed. In fact I am currently attempting to use a forum to gather information about something I am in the dark about. Unfortunately I seem to have just now attracted smart ass answers instead of information...

You called me a smartass; I called you lazy. I think that makes us even.

M_P

CaptainDooley
06-20-09, 17:13
Thanks for the premium contribution... You're welcome to move on now...

DRich
06-20-09, 17:52
I've got a DR200 and it's a fine rifle. Hard to believe they haven't been imported in about 20yrs. IIRC, The post-ban rifles (DR-200) and pre-ban carbines (AR110, K1) have 1:12" twist rates. The pre-ban rifles (K2, AR100) have 1:7" barrels. Mine eats XM193 and 55gr Wolf all day long, but anything heavier will keyhole.

And 922(r) does come into play when you start messing with the configuration.

Heavy Metal
06-20-09, 18:07
After some digging it looks like the DR-200 is chambered for .223, not 5.56 - is this correct? Can it be reamed to 5.56 like an AR?

Thee is nothing to ream, it is a 5.56 chamber.

4thPointOfContact
06-20-09, 23:27
I can pretty much agree with everything Mac679 said.

The only real drawback to the Daewoo was that it had a 180-degree selector lever, but that's been fixed by DaewooRifleParts.com.
The gas system is definitely AK-like with a long-stroke gas piston affixed to the AR-like bolt.

The AR-100 I have is pre-ban, with a folding stock, flash hider, bayonet mount and all the good trimmings that the Korean Army one has, minus the happy setting on the fun switch.

I will definitely say that it will run cooler, cleaner, and longer than a DI AR, but a well oiled AR will keep running and running too.

Jay Cunningham
06-21-09, 19:29
No more sniping in this thread.

CaptainDooley
06-21-09, 19:33
Thanks for all the help guys - I decided to turn down the Daewoo... The whole point of offloading the AK was to consolidate weapons systems, and since I was offered a Colt Match Target M4 and I think that's the way I'm gonna go.

Maybe down the road I'll have the extra time and money to try it out... it definitely seems to be a sweet rifle.