PDA

View Full Version : Custom Lowers

Dave L.
01-17-07, 20:15
I have a friend in Nevada who is currently finishing up all the paperwork/liscenses and fees to start manufacturing his own firearms.
Does anyone know how to get quality stripped AR lowers with his company's name/Logo and special serial numbers put on a blank? He only wants to start with a dozen or so and I told him that it will either cost him a SH$T load for such a small order or he will have to go with a tier 3 manufacturer...I'm just looking for CMT type quality here- these weapons will be used for PSD (in CONUS).
Thanks guys,
Dave

K.L. Davis
01-17-07, 21:59
Once you friend has a manufacturing license, he can either make the receivers "in house" or have them made by another manufacturer under a letter of variance filed with the ATF -- the companies that will do this for him, can help him with the letter, but basically it is saying that he is going to have a range of serial numbers made at an outside source.

Or, he can have lowers made with the other manufacturers info still on them, and custom marking and serial numbers -- again, they can help him out with this.

If he is the "manufacturer" of complete weapons (actually, or by a letter), he is responsable for the excise tax, or proving that the sales are tax exempt -- he also will need to get liability insurance... and a dozen guns is not going to make it worthwile to go through that.

The smallest runs of lowers that I have seen on a letter of variance was 50, but that was sort of a favor -- most small shops want to run at least a hundred -- but expect to have to buy as many as 200-250 with some shops.

Custom marking is not much different... the cost of having a roll mark made is not small change (I honestly do not recall what the last one cost), you can go with shops that do standard letter setting -- but then you really dont have a "custom mark" -- also, shops that CNC engrave are more flexible as too the cost of marking and the size of runs.

Dave L.
01-17-07, 22:12
Thanks K.L.
He is already invested in an Industrial bullet press to make .223 by the thousands and an indoor shooting range/training facility in north vegas- He wants to have the lowers made for him with his private security's logo as the brand name for the lower...and eventually create enough popularity to sell a few.
Do you happen to know how much each unit would cost if one ordered 100 "CMT" grade lowers?

K.L. Davis
01-17-07, 22:20
Check your IM

Dave L.
01-17-07, 22:22
Roger; Checking