PDA

View Full Version : International Symposium on Atherosclerosis.

WillBrink
06-20-09, 14:17
XV International Symposium on Atherosclerosis.
June 20th, 2009 by Will Brink

I just finished attending this Symposium - held triennially by the International Atherosclerosis Society - offers the world’s largest presentation of new research and clinical findings regarding Atherosclerosis. This important meeting was held June 14-18, 2009 in Boston MA, which is my home town… As Atherosclerosis is the underlying cause of both heart disease and stroke, with CVD the number one killer of US citizens, making headway against this diseases would result in millions of lives saved. This scientific/medical meeting covered a wide range of topics, from detection, prevention, and treatment of cardiovascular disease to the pathogenesis and biology of this disease as well as intervention, such as lifestyle and drug therapies, that may prevent it from developing in the first place.

The Efficacy Of Statins…

One of the most important talks at this conference looked at the efficacy of statins and was given by a Dr. Kastelein from the Netherlands. There are currently seven versions of this drug available for clinical use: atorvastatin, fluvastatin, lovastatin, pitavastatin, pravastatin, rosuvastatin and simvastatin. Although controversial, the bulk of the data to date finds these drugs can be of clinical value in some populations. According to Dr. Kastelein “Statin treatment markedly improves outcomes of hypercholesterolemia and dyslipidemia patients by lowering their plasma levels of low-density lipid cholesterol (LDL-C), thereby reducing the frequency of primary and secondary cardiovascular (CV) events.”

However he also made it clear that “…despite coronary heart disease (CHD) morbidity and mortality being significantly reduced following treatment with these drugs, it is not eliminated completely.”

Therefore, it’s clear that statin drugs are not a cure-all for this disease, and unless combined with lifestyle changes, such as nutrition and exercise – and possibly nutritional supplementation – these and other drugs may not prevent cardio vascular disease when used alone. Of course, for many, making those needed changes in lifestyle will eliminate the need for a statin drug in the first place, but that is not true in all cases as some people have a genetic predisposition to dyslipidemia and or cardio vascular disease.

Dr. Kastelein outlined a large body of data that examined the efficacy of the statin drugs using various meta analysis reviews, and summed it up that even the best outcomes of these drugs still left a high prevalence of disease: “It has been repeatedly shown that achieving a 25–35% reduction in LDL-C with statin therapy decreases CV risk by approximately one-third, leaving two thirds remaining.”

Thus, It’s clear that as a mono therapy (i.e., used as the only therapy), statin drugs are not the answer to the number one killer of people in industrialized nations, but as part of a combined approach, in certain populations, are potentially useful drugs.

Nutritional Supplements…

It was encouraging to see at this conference a focus on both lifestyle and nutritional supplements, either alone or in combination with the statin drugs, as potentially effective treatments for cardio vascular disease (CVD).

This conference had an impressive amount of research presented on the many benefits of omega-3 fatty acids either alone, or in combination with various statin drugs. Large amounts of data concluded that omega 3 fatty acids were effective at improving risk factors for CVD, and when combined with statins, more effective then statins alone.

This conference saw a large number of studies looking at the effects of CoQ10 either alone or in conjunction with statin drugs. Most of the focus was on CoQ10’s ability to counter the well-established drop in CoQ10 tissue levels in those taking statin drugs. One study presented was of particular importance in that it showed the addition of CoQ10 can greatly reduce statin-associated myopathy, which can include pain, weakness, and tiredness as well as other symptoms in those using statin drugs.

Another nutrient to get a great deal of attention at this conference - either alone or in conjunction with statin drug therapy - was the vitamin Niacin (vitamin B3). This conference further confirmed niacin as a therapy for preventing CVD. Several studies presented showed both alone and in combination with statin drugs, niacin raises HDL, lowers plasma triglyceride (TG) levels, as well as having other beneficial effects on CVD risk factors.

As with any large conference, the above is truly the tip of the proverbial iceberg regarding the large amount of research and information presented at this important conference. Many other nutrients, such as garlic, green tea, various polyphenols, plant sterols, L-arginine, and many others, were shown to be of potential benefit to reducing the risk of CVD - and or as an adjunct therapy to drugs such as the statins - as well as others.

Stay tuned for more information and research from this conference….

Source:

http://www.brinkzone.com/blog/tricks-for-living-longer/post/xv-international-symposium-on-atherosclerosis/#more-915

Jimbeam
07-09-09, 09:16
Great info. I just stopped taking a statin due to side effects. My Dr has suggested a low fat /low glycemic index diet and exercise. If I can get my numbers right I should be able to stay off the statins.

WillBrink
07-09-09, 09:22
Great info. I just stopped taking a statin due to side effects. My Dr has suggested a low fat /low glycemic index diet and exercise. If I can get my numbers right I should be able to stay off the statins.

Lifestyle changes are the first thing to address no doubt, but most people don't/wont do it, docs know that, and just throw a statin at them.

Good luck.

WillBrink
09-10-09, 18:20
Update, the full article is up at the URL above regarding this conference and goes into depth on what I briefly cover above. CVD is the number one killer in the US, so you and or someone you know has, or will die from it. Not to be a neg bag, but this is potentially important info to your (and my!) longevity....

WillBrink
10-20-10, 10:52

So how's your numbers?