PDA

View Full Version : Dust Cover or Un-cover?

Dave L.
01-17-07, 20:21
I know you need a dust cover/fwd assist on a fighting gun. But, lets say you were doing private executive security here in the US; do you really need an upper with a dust cover and fwd assist? I like the Sun Devil uppers with no assist but the new ones have the dust cover- but I'm thinking along the lines of JP upper- My rational is; If you are in Urban areas do you really have to worry about dirt and grime jamming up the operation of the weapon? Feel free to to say "ya but what about Murphy"?...Am I off my rocker?
Thanks Gents,
Dave

deadwood83
01-17-07, 21:17
Depends where you live. Here in Utah right now if I strapped my AR to my back and walked to get the mail (maybe 200ft round trip) i can get inside and wipe stuff off it and see the grime on my finger. Mind you the air in Utah right now is bad enough that most schools aren't letting the kids play outside but it's a possibility for other locales too.

blackhawk2000
01-17-07, 21:31
I guess I have to ask, why do you feel the need to not have one? Does it get in your way?

Dave L.
01-17-07, 21:54
I guess I have to ask, why do you feel the need to not have one? Does it get in your way?

Well, I have never had an AR not shoot because it got gummed up from lack of keeping the dust cover closed- and I've been in some pretty harry sh*t with an AR... I guess this question is more about the Fwd assist- it sticks out and I don't think you would need one in a "low threat" urban enviornment where very little body armor would be worn.
About the Dust cover though, I want info like how much gunk is in the air in Utah.
I just like to shave as many ounces as possible, if you are doing PSD- It is not your job to get in a gunfight; it's to get the Principal to safety- setting some cover fire is a little different than getting in an hour-long gun fight in a 3rd world country.

Dave L.
01-17-07, 21:56
Depends where you live. Here in Utah right now if I strapped my AR to my back and walked to get the mail (maybe 200ft round trip) i can get inside and wipe stuff off it and see the grime on my finger. Mind you the air in Utah right now is bad enough that most schools aren't letting the kids play outside but it's a possibility for other locales too.

So in your honest opinion, how long would your AR have to be exposed to that type of treatment before it wouldn't function reliably?...I've been meaning to do some torture tests(for my own benefit) with a beater AR(Glock Style).

blackhawk2000
01-17-07, 22:09
Well I don't know a whole lot about shooting, but I don't think it's a good idea to force ammo into a chamber it doesn't want to go into. So I say forget the FA. Dust cover...probably not needed, but how much does it really weigh?

Harv
01-17-07, 22:12
Dust covers on AR's are something I give little thought to.... Keeping Foreign matter and debris,etc out of your AR is always a good thing. The cover was designed to do that.. SO I use it. And if you ingrain it into your shooting, it's something you sub consciously do with out any thought. Doesn't matter where you are.. Dirt,dust,mud,water..seaweed,treebark,woodchips,etc... I know of no geographical location on the planet that is more suitable for AR's with out dust cover's,vs. AR's with them.

As to weight savings....Download your mag by 1 bullet... there.. you just compensated for the dust cover...;)

Worrying about Dust and dust covers and how much dust is to much is entering into the realm of Minutia

Dave L.
01-17-07, 22:18
Dust covers on AR's are something I give little thought to.... Keeping Foreign matter and debris,etc out of your AR is always a good thing. The cover was designed to do that.. SO I use it. And if you ingrain it into your shooting, it's something you sub consciously do with out any thought. Doesn't matter where you are.. Dirt,dust,mud,water..seaweed,treebark,woodchips,etc... I know of no geographical location on the planet that is more suitable for AR's with out dust cover's,vs. AR's with them.

As to weight savings....Download your mag by 1 bullet... there.. you just compensated for the dust cover...;)

Worrying about Dust and dust covers and how much dust is to much is entering into the realm of Minutia

Ya, good points...I know I'm just making a big deal about nothing but I just needed to hear it- I think I'll go with a Sun Devil upper still has the dust cover with no FA- its a nice piece.

One more thing, I'm a lefty, so the fwd assist has always been in my way a little more than usual-

deadwood83
01-17-07, 23:23
So in your honest opinion, how long would your AR have to be exposed to that type of treatment before it wouldn't function reliably?...I've been meaning to do some torture tests(for my own benefit) with a beater AR(Glock Style).
Enough to cease function? well thats tricky b/c it's a light (thickness) grime that doesn't really show but do debilitate the firearm..... maybe 40 hours continuous to completely cease any function in the rifle. A rifle's effectiveness period can be extended by using loosely crappy rifles like old AK's.