PDA

View Full Version : What's the best year for Ford F series?

bkb0000
06-20-09, 16:57
I want to buy an old work truck- i HATE not being able to fix my own truck when something goes wrong. I own a small construction company, and do a lot of my own material hauling. Having my truck sitting at a dealership for days es no bueno.

I'd be great to have an old but nice ford 3/4 ton as a backup.. for work, and probably mostly just to have something that doesn't have a bed full of shit and a massive ladder rack to clatter around and catch on trees when i go hunting/backpacking/etc.

So what was the best year for Ford trucks? I'll go as old as I need to.. something with nothing more than an engine, a master cylinder, a carburator and a transmission.. none of this BS electronic control crap, power boosters and compressors and components to break and/or get in the way of working on the important parts. You know, a truck you can fix/replace any part with nothing more than a basic set of wrenches and sockets.

Suggestions? I'll be doing plenty of my own research, but I know there's some motorheads around here that'll have ideas.

Thanks

Thomas M-4
06-20-09, 17:41
I am going to say 84-96 find one thats got a windsor motor 302 or 351 351 pefered
The EFI used on the windsor as proven to be pretty reliable but if you want you could run caburator if you want. Transmissions are the stickler c-4 great trans mission but no overdrive AOD the early models had some problems but most of that is because the factory uses the tiniest trans cooler. I would recommend any work truck to have a larger High quality transcooler installed all of them come from the factory sized way to small.

woodandsteel
06-20-09, 17:54
If I could offer up a total uneducated eneducated piece of advice, I would look at the 1996 model year.

I realize that this model year is fuel injected. But, from what I have heard, these were some of the better models of trucks built by Ford.

I don't have any experiences with 3/4 ton variety. But the father of a friend of mine (I know sounds fake) has a 1/2 ton with the 350 engine in it. That truck has no problems pulling grain wagons and other trailers. I have another friend that drives a 6 cylinder 96 Ford. Those old trucks refuse to die.

Another good friend of mine used to have a 2000 Ford with the 4.6 engine in it. I would avoid any 4.6 engine like the plague. He now has an '07 with the 5.4 in it. It is a much better choice.

FWIW, I have been looking in the used car lots for a nice 1996 F-150. But, at this time I can't justify buying a truck.

The_War_Wagon
06-20-09, 18:15
Having owned a '79 Bronco, I can tell you that that late '70's were a mixed bag for Ford trucks. 4x4's used Dana44 front axles - the same as the REAR axle in Jeeps of that era - as well as Borg-Warner transmissions, and New Process 205 Transfer cases - all of which are AWESOME pieces of equipment. Even the C6 automatic transmission and 9" rear axles are bulletproof - on or off-road.

The smogged up 351 and 400 M(ilford) engines left a LOT to be desired in the 'go' department, to say nothing of the crappy cork-like rear main seals (assuming you find one still roadworthy today, it SURLY has neoprene seals by now) however.

If you want a REAL workhorse though, a '71 or early (pre-emission controls) is probably the way to go. You can still find them at gummint auctions, particuarly for small municipalities that used them for everything from the fire department, to the utilities department, to animal control. The emission controls on many late '72 - '79 models were often, ahem, 'bypassed' MANY moons ago (mine were before I bought it, in '87) - such vehicles are so old now, it would probably be exempt, BUT, there's an FYI for ya', just in case your state/municipality WOULDN'T allow such a thing.

Were I to have my old Bronco back, I'd probably pitch the engine, and go with a new crate engine around 400 cid, as the engine was the only questionable thing on my truck. Otherwise, it'd probably still be good to go!

FMF_Doc
06-20-09, 18:30
I like my 03 F150

sjohnny
06-20-09, 18:41
I learned to drive in my grandparents' 1969 Ford F-100. Step-side, 360, 2bbl, 3 on the tree. My uncle had abused the shit out of it when it was newer and he was in high school. My grandparents had a 2000 acre ranch in the Texas Hill Country and I and my cousins dogged the hell out of that truck all over that ranch. It's still running but the motor needs to be freshened up (no one has ever been inside of it).

I'd go with something like that or an early 70s model. The guy down the street from me had a 1974 (I think) F-350 4x4 with a 460 that people were constantly trying to buy from him.

I just got rid of a 1998 F-150 that was a great truck for 150,000 and about a year ago my dad traded in his 1997 F-150 that had 270,000 on it.

Buckaroo
06-20-09, 19:02
I personally have had good luck with 1978 & '79 Ford 4x4s.

Tough, married transfer cases & transmission, motors are easy to work on and you can build a 351/400 out pretty well if you cannot swap to a 460/429.

They avoid the independent front axle mess and you can find Dana 60 front axles in both the 3/4 ton and 1 ton models if you feel the need.

Buckaroo

Thomas M-4
06-20-09, 19:12
I like my 03 F150

+1mine as been good to me so far

ZDL
06-20-09, 20:04
Are you set on ford?

OldNavyGuy
06-21-09, 09:12
I want to buy an old work truck- i HATE not being able to fix my own truck when something goes wrong.

i agree with what Buckaroo said:

I personally have had good luck with 1978 & '79 Ford 4x4s.

i bought my "78" Bronco new in November of 1977ad, at about 100,000 miles, my wife and i rebuilt the entire front end, replaced these parts: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/images/uploads/category_104.jpgthe "V" shaped and "O" items we used were Neoprene much stronger and longer lasting, we have also done other repairs, replaced the leaking 33 gallon gas tank.

go with any 70's model Ford truck, here are two sources for Ford trucks and Bronco parts,
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/
http://broncograveyard.com/

kmrtnsn
06-21-09, 12:04
I'm going to vote for any F Series from 1956 to 1967, stepside, fleetside, I love them all. I always wanted to get a '56 and update to a newer engine and trans, with modern brakes that stop!