PDA

View Full Version : Field Improvised Fixes, whats yours?

RogerinTPA
06-17-09, 08:16
I want to start a discussion about field improvising, thinking outside the box, to fix whatever you got with what you have.

Examples of some that I've heard, and some that I've used:

Replacing a broken fan belt with a piece of rope or panty hose.

Using a .22 shell case to replace the old style car fuses (highly NOT recommended).

Using a vehicle battery to power an electric well pump.

Jump start another vehicle without jumper cables.

You get the Idea. Tell us what happened and what your method was to remedy the situation. Disclaimer, no offense to Rednecks!;)

Edited by moderator: Excellent post... I only moved it because it seemed to fit in this forum better.

One Rule: When listing a "trick", please note if you have actually tried it and know for sure that it works -- otherwise please state that you do not know for sure that it works.

Jay Cunningham
06-17-09, 08:53
Zip-ties and 100mph tape can fix *anything*...

Thomas M-4
06-17-09, 09:28
I will list a few things that I have heard about.
Uncooked potato cut in half pushed in a hole in the radiator.
Pepper pored int the radiator supposed to slow down or stop minor leaks.
Most radiator leaks start close to the hose clamp just cut off the part that leaks and reinstall.[I have done that a few times works good when you can]

Wrap aluminum foil around blown fuses [bubble gum wrapper is supposed to work to]

If I can think of any more I will repost.

sjc3081
06-17-09, 09:44
Bicycle tire tube to fill the gap between my Cab and pickup cap. This allow use of cab heater to enter and remain in truck bed and keep windows ice free in the winter.

rat31465
06-17-09, 15:04
My father once used hairspray to dry out a distributor on a vehicle that wouldn't start after the engine got wet crossing a flooded creek.

Baby powder will quiet down a fan belt that squalls.

Hot glue sticks and a bic lighter for temporary fixes to smaller holes in a boat or canoe.

Kotex pads in the first aid kit for wound compresses/bandages.

Everyone knows that you can urinate in an over heated radiator of a car low on coolant when antifreeze/water isnt available.

Rubbing an apple core on wiper blades will clean the blades and keep them from squeeking.

Thomas M-4
06-17-09, 15:14
Coka-cola on corroded battery terminals [works pretty good]
Coka-cola on fan belt squalls [surprisingly it does work ]

RogerinTPA
06-17-09, 21:45
Kotex pads in the first aid kit for wound compresses/bandages.

Man I can't believe I forgot that one. They make excellent compression bandages!

Ttwwaack
06-17-09, 22:21
Coca-Cola in washing machine to remove diesel and jet fuel odor in clothing. Just heard that one today.

Ratchet strap around a tire to reseat the bead.

rat31465
06-18-09, 10:10
Coca-Cola in washing machine to remove diesel and jet fuel odor in clothing. Just heard that one today.

Ratchet strap around a tire to reseat the bead.

hadn't thought of using the ratchet strap to reseal the bead on a tire...bet it does work.

Buckaroo
06-18-09, 13:53
hadn't thought of using the ratchet strap to reseal the bead on a tire...bet it does work.

Spray a bit of starting fluid inside and toss a match to set the bead. Acetylene or propane works too.

Keep a length of baling wire in your tool kit for field repairs on your transportation. Works for linkages, clamps, etc.

Buckaroo

Thomas M-4
06-18-09, 15:23
Spray a bit of starting fluid inside and toss a match to set the bead. Acetylene or propane works too.

Keep a length of baling wire in your tool kit for field repairs on your transportation. Works for linkages, clamps, etc.

Buckaroo

I was waiting for some one to post that I have seen it done a few times also I have tried it my self 1 or 2 times. On big heavy truck , tires it seems to work OK but that trick can go bad real quick I have had a tire blow the entire tread off on a passenger car tire very loud concussion :eek: and me checking my self to make sure that I had all of my fingers and toes. That would not be my first choice the ratchet strap sounds like a very good Idea if I ever get a chance to use it I will try it out.
Starter fluid very very risky.

The baling wire is a good Idea also.

rat31465
06-18-09, 15:47
Or Metal strapping is another good thing to keep around for fixes as is 600V Electrical tape.

Zhurdan
06-18-09, 16:15
Car wax on a scratched CD/DVD will fix most scratches. Just make sure when you are cleaning it off, you work from the center of the disk to the outer edge in a straight line, no circles!!!

RogerinTPA
06-18-09, 18:18
100 MPH tape for wound closures (butterfly stitches).

Cheyenne pepper to speed minor wound healing.

Garbage bag for a solar still.

Super glue (same uses as 100 MHP tape).

Ceramic pot for sharpening knives.

Ttwwaack
06-20-09, 11:30
Use a piece of 3/4" metal banding material and make your own. I've made two and they both worked great. Alot easier solution is to hide a spare door key behind the license plate.

Hell_Bent
06-22-09, 19:56
to hide a spare door key behind the license plate.

License Plate theft is almost as common as vehicle theft. Hiding your key there can turn the former into the latter...

RogerinTPA
06-22-09, 20:43
Here's one I've done several times. During camping or hunting in cold weather, when building a fire, dig a pit and line it with rocks. After putting out the fire so you don't burn down the forest, push rocks into pit and cover with several inches of dirt. You now can sleep on top of the pit and the rocks & coals will keep you warm (If not Hot) throughout the night.

spamsammich
06-22-09, 20:57
Went up a hill in AK with no "mountain money" came down the hill, minus half a cotton sock. Had a friend who used to do this kinda think almost routinely, mostly because he lacked foresight. His hoodies eventually lacked sleeves. When he'd show up around the fire minus sleeves, everybody would ask how his last shit went.

lalakai
07-10-09, 16:28
carry really fine steel wool for use as tinder. even soaking wet, just wring it out and it lights fast; it will rust, so rotate it if you have it in a bugout kit.

a piece of nylon stocking over the primary filter of your water intake (katadyn style filters) will extend life of filter.

to fix minor scratches in glass lenses, use some lipstick or tooth paste. Both are very fine abrasives and will take the scratch out without "fuzzing" the glass lense. Lipstick is commonly used as the final polishing agent on home made telescope optics.

Shadow_otw
08-01-09, 00:39
1) A bar of soap (real soap) will plug a hole in a fuel tank.

2) A small can of wd-40 to dry out engine electrical systems

3) Distilled Water (its non-conductive) to clean electronics

4) A can of coke can also clean road grime and grease off windshields.

5) Hairspray will take ink and some makeup out of a dress shirt..(don't ask...but its true)

6) A small nail will take up the space in a battery terminal that won't otherwise tighten.

...more as I think of them

geminidglocker
08-01-09, 01:15
Touching a plain old nine-volt battery to the fine steel wool will ignite it if you don't have matches. Guitar strings can be unwound and use in place of other "High Resistance" wire. On Mythbusters I watched them add egg to the radiator to stop a small leak and it worked.

wake.joe
08-01-09, 01:25
Deleted

Rooster15
08-22-09, 19:44
Raw honey for healing wounds. The sores diabetics get on their legs seem to respond to this quite well.

The glass filament out of a 1000watt Sodium Halide light bulb works great as a sharpening rod.

Dryer lint as tinder works great. Also keep some duct tape with your fire kit to stick the tinder to when the wind is blowing hard.

I have others just can't think of them right now.

HPFlashman
08-23-09, 12:51
Cinnamon for smaller leaks in the cars cooling system.

I`ll second the raw potato for pierced radiators, one of the girls in the local LR club drove 150 miles with one after a branch pierced her radiator on an outing. Some minor topping up of the coolant was neccesary on the trip home, but a good field grade fix anyhow...

Some lengths of electrical wire for juryrigging lights and electrical fans directly from the battery may come in handy as well, atleast if you have a basic understanding of car electrics or drive a Rover 4X4...:D

Mo_Zam_Beek
10-12-09, 13:14
Plain aspirin to jump start a dead battery.

This has saved my bacon many times.

The salicylic acid is enough to get them going in many cases.

2 tabs per cell, fill with water, let dissolve. Make sure you give it time to dissolve as you are only going to get one or two shots at turning it over.

Good luck

Spade
10-13-09, 00:56
I can use my daily glasses to start a fire if needed.

BackBlast
10-20-09, 18:41
Cheyenne pepper to speed minor wound healing.

A little more detail for clarity...

Cayenne pepper helps stop the bleeding when directly applied to wounds in powder form and simultaneously acts as an anti-infection agent. I don't know how it rates compared to quikclot and similar products, but it's definitely better than nothing.

The hotter the better.

Naxet1959
12-07-09, 16:15
Touching a plain old nine-volt battery to the fine steel wool will ignite it if you don't have matches. Guitar strings can be unwound and use in place of other "High Resistance" wire. On Mythbusters I watched them add egg to the radiator to stop a small leak and it worked.

Good one, just went out to the garage and it works very well! Thanks for the tip...

M4Fundi
12-19-09, 00:02
when crossing rivers we put chewing gum over hole in distributor cap to keep water out & uncover it the other side of river

With the help of a local village in the middle of the night our capture truck (a 7 ton Nissan) had no starter & died in flat sand and we jacked it up, put rope around the tire and popped clutch in 2nd gear while pull starting the truck like a giant lawn mower. Took 20 of us a couple of hours but it worked & is easier on smaller trucks. :D

We all carry bandanas in the bush and we call them "101s" and around the campfire with some "refreshments;)" each person has to come up with a NEW use for the bandana and you keep taking turns till you get to 101 and you would be surprised at how many uses you can come up with a for a 101:p

tampam4
12-21-09, 00:54
If your car starter isn't cranking, it may have developed a flat spot. Try tapping the starter lightly with a hammer, sometimes that frees up the brushes inside. You can also try rocking the car and it should shake the brushes just enough to get it moving.

A cool firestarting trick involving a any aluminum can with a parabolic bottom, so its domeshaped inwards, like any soda can. You also need very fine steel wool. Polish the bottom of the can until you can see your reflection as much as possible. Make sure the entire dome shape is as shiny as can be.

Get the center of the dome ( which now resembles a REFLECTOR of a flashlight) pointing straight at the sun ( you can figure this out by aligning and rotating the can until the shadow it casts is a perfect circle, or just about.

put a very small piece of paper (no bigger than thumb) in front of can, center mass , and move it back and forth until the dot cast by the can onto the piece is as small as it gets. Keep it still until the piece of material ignites, and light whatever you need to light!

Sorry for the idiot proof longwinded explanation, seeing how I'm an idiot I like laying things out.:D

I'll think of something more!:cool:

tmorg
01-01-10, 09:45
#1 military 550 cord/parashute cord
#2 Lighter
#3 zip ties
#4 chem lights

cmiller683
02-18-10, 07:00
Found that as summer came around, and I stopped wearing long-johns under my jeans, that my belt was a little too loose. Took a fired .22lr casing and a chunk of 2x4 to punch a new hole, and it worked like a charm. Can't even tell it wasn't factory.

Windshield wipers tend to get forgotten about when washing our cars, and we replace them far sooner than need be. Take a couple of those rubbing alcohol swabs out of your med kit and clean your wipers. You'd be amazed at the road grime that comes off it.

JB weld can be an amazing thing. I had to replace the gasket for my air intake manifold on a 99 Chevy K1500, and cracked the manifold when re-threading the EGR valve. Slapped some JB Weld on it and it saved me $300 for a new manifold. This was a year and a half ago, and I have had no problems.

If you're running a little low on antifreeze, and your car starts to overheat, of course you add water! But, what if you don't have any water? And what if you have to take a piss? Problem solved.

till44
02-23-10, 12:57
Cotton balls covered in vaseline make great tinder and will burn for 5-7 minutes alone. I keep a few in a ziplock in all my packs and cars.

Soap on a fan belt will aid in traction and temporarily prevent squeaking and slipping.

Super glue works just as well as stitches.

Flight-ER-Doc
04-25-10, 10:06
Raw honey for healing wounds. The sores diabetics get on their legs seem to respond to this quite well.

The glass filament out of a 1000watt Sodium Halide light bulb works great as a sharpening rod.

Dryer lint as tinder works great. Also keep some duct tape with your fire kit to stick the tinder to when the wind is blowing hard.

I have others just can't think of them right now.

Raw honey is not a good idea: Use pastureized honey. Raw honey has all sorts of spores in it that can cause trouble, ESPECIALLY in immunocompromised people.

Plain white sugar is good too. So is white sugar mixed with betadine (so it's damp). The sugar pulls water from the wound, making it impossible for bacteria to grow.

Dryer lint (or a cotton ball) and vaseline, in a 35mm film can (still available at the film developing counters at drug stores and Walmart) makes terrific tinder.

Flight-ER-Doc
04-25-10, 10:12
I carry a piece of picture-hanging wire (braided wire) in my kit...it can be used to fix all sorts of stuff, and is easy to work - you can just tie knots in it, and it's easy to grab with hands.

RogerinTPA
05-13-10, 20:55
I carry a piece of picture-hanging wire (braided wire) in my kit...it can be used to fix all sorts of stuff, and is easy to work - you can just tie knots in it, and it's easy to grab with hands.

If you could list the various uses that you use, that would be appreciated, thanks.

Flight-ER-Doc
05-14-10, 10:02
If you could list the various uses that you use, that would be appreciated, thanks.

I've used it to tie a separated vibram sole back onto a boot, fix a broken fence, re-attach a pack to frame (tried para cord but it wore through), made snares out of it... It's more durable in some applications than para cord or dental floss (both of which I also carry).

I've also started carrying a piece of hot-glue stick...to fix things like canteens. Melt a bit of the glue with a flame and drip onto the repair.

EW1066
05-28-10, 12:02
You can use CORN CHIPS as tinder to start a fire. They burn quite readily and will burn for several minutes. The kids may be mad that you used their Doritos to start the fire but they"ll get over it.

Vince

LHS
06-07-10, 22:13
I had a muffler fall partway off my old truck on a road trip between Phoenix and Denver. I was carrying my medieval kit for an event up in Denver, and had a brainstorm. I used my two-hander tourney sword to lever the muffler back into place, then lashed it to the undercarriage with the wire wrapping from the hilt. It held until I got to a Meineke in Denver.

BradCMSP
06-08-10, 07:03
Just happened the other week, friend's throttle cable snapped in my lot.

What did we do?

Braid that bitch together, wrap with stripped wire and soldered it tight. Worked like a charm!

Von Rheydt
08-07-10, 13:10
Salty water will remove blood stains ........... Heavily stained?? Use more salt.

I quick urban fix: Get gum on something, then put the item in the icebox till the gum freezes and easily pick it off.

l3mon
08-17-10, 16:58
If you have any electronics that take AAAA batteries or even AAA and you run out, pop open a 9v and inside for x6 AAAA batteries, and with an extra bit of foil you can use a AAAA inside of a AAA spot.

Thomas M-4
08-17-10, 18:05
[QUOTE=tampam4;521416]If your car starter isn't cranking, it may have developed a flat spot. Try tapping the starter lightly with a hammer, sometimes that frees up the brushes inside. You can also try rocking the car and it should shake the brushes just enough to get it moving.

tampam That reminds me of a trick with the alternator. If you think your alternator is getting weak try tapping it with a hammer while the engine is running [just the case of course] You should see black dust blowing out the back of it. Its from the brushes. If you see a lot of dust coming out of it check your voltage gauge every time I have done it the voltage reading will be higher.

cmiller683
09-07-10, 07:23
Not really a trick, but this is important to know. I took a 6 hour road-trip this past weekend. My mileage on the way there was about 14.2 mpg. Before we left to come back, I checked my fluids and tire pressure (which I should have done before I even left...:shout:)

Checking my tire pressure showed I was about 10 psi under what it should be. Besides the fact that this is dangerous for any relative high-speed, highway driving, it kills your gas mileage. On the way back I was getting damn near 16 mpg.

My goal for this next week: Gap my spark plugs, replace my air filter and replace the headlight that was snapped in half from the tire debris that hit it.

Great fun...:confused:

mikeross506
09-15-10, 21:22

It works very well. When mounting HMVEE run flats in Iraq we would use a heavy duty 3" ratchet straps. When they become too hard to ratchet put a piece of metal in the handle for leverage.

Legion_Prime
12-10-10, 18:35
If your driveshaft throws a weight use a hoseclamp to replace it. Just put the clasp where the weight was. If you cant tell, just clamp it down and drive, then shift it a bit. If the vibration gets better you're moving it the right direction.
In general maintenance, top off the battery cells with distilled water once or twice a year (yes you want to use distilled) it will help your battery last longer. Don't waste your money on power steering fluid, just use cheap ATF. Unless you have something weird, they're basically the same thing. I wouldn't recommend power steering fluid in the trans though unless it's an emergency.
Also, when you replace your radiator hoses & belts, throw them in the trunk. While yes they may be dry and squeaky if one gives out on you they're better than nothing and you know they fit.

willis
12-18-10, 14:04
I've repaired an oil pan tear with JB Weld, that was in 99 and it's still holding. After that event, I do carry everything I need for an oil change and some contact cleaner in my off road rigs. I was lucky to be camped near an auto parts store the first time. Not so sure I will be if it happens again.

bkb0000
12-18-10, 14:47
If your car starter isn't cranking, it may have developed a flat spot. Try tapping the starter lightly with a hammer, sometimes that frees up the brushes inside. You can also try rocking the car and it should shake the brushes just enough to get it moving.

i think most flywheel/flexplates have inspection covers.. if so, pull the inspection cover, and hand-crank the flywheel with a flat screwdriver to get past the flat spot. smack the starter, as yo suggest, to knock out the carbon and get better contact with the brushes, and try again.
---
you can get emergency power for radios and such by pinching wires between fuse contacts on your fusebox, though i'm not up on all the levels of juice you get from what. but i did power a CB that way, once.
---
if your heater-core blows, you can cut off one of the connections and use it as a coupler between your IN and OUT hoses, bypassing the heater core... you won't have heat (or defrost/defog), but it'll get you back on the road. i also used the sleeve from a screw-gun bit extender as the coupler once. worked.
---
if your steering column-mounted shifter seizes up on you in your automatic, you can pop the linkage off under the hood and manually cycle through gears... pop the linkage, put your truck's E-brake on, get out, push the truck into DRIVE, get back in, take the E-brake off, and drive... sucks when you have to reverse, or really do anything other than drive- but again, it'll get you back on the road.
---
if your ignition cylinder goes out on you, pull the cover off the steering column and expose the ignition push-rod. you might need to disconnect it from the ignition cylinder, but it'll start the vehicle if you manually push the push-rod through into the relay. this may not work if the ignition cylinder is so bad that it won't unlock the steering wheel (you won't be able to steer), but most steering wheel locks can be over-powered by turning aganst the lock really hard.
---
if your ignition switch itself goes out, you can also start older trucks by arching the solonoid mounted near your battery. pull the starter ground, and use a screw-driver to arch between the positive and the S terminal. make sure you don't arch anything else, or make yourself a ground- it WILL **** you up.
---
if you have to take something complex apart in the field, and know you won't remember how it went back together, take pictures of it with your camera phone
---
laptops make great alternative power sources for phones, MP3 players, GPSs, etc... just make sure you carry a USB-to-miniUSB cord with it.
---
i've done all of these. i've had to do a LOT of field improvision... i'll post more as i think of them.

docsherm
03-29-11, 07:04
-Burnt cork can be used to Camo clothes and equipment. (works very well and lasts longer than camo paint- if you drink a lot of wine then you will have enough for everyone you know:alcoholic:)

- Shaving cream to remove carbon (it works)

scruffy_smith
04-06-11, 03:27
ratchet strap works great on tires, done it many times at farm on tractors, saved a lot on service calls. In a pinch heavy duty rope and a stick will make do.
Also used an egg on tractor radiator, still holding up.
made back up candles to carry in woods, melted down dime store candles, put wick into used twelve gauge shells. burns good as before, shell case makes them sturdier, won;t break as easy. Also keep small bag of dryer lint for tinder to start fire in 2 old film canisters.
one last idea, changed cell phone carriers a year or so ago, kept old phone because battery was junk, put in glove box with car charger , in an emergency it will still call 911 , great if regular phone breaks or can't get service.

MistWolf
04-11-11, 00:34
I have used Super Glue to repair good sized holes in tires. One repair was of a hole about 1/2 inch long in the tread. For an experiment, I left it and it went three months before it started leaking so bad I had to do something about it. Super Glue accelerator will make Super Glue set up quick!

Always carry two or three tug straps and D rings and a tow hitch pin in your vehicle. Never know when you or someone else will need a tug.

There is this elastic tape that sticks just to itself. I've used it to repair a radiator hose that split. I forget it's real name, but we called it "F-4 tape" in the Air Force.

One fellow lost the alternator in his Toyota way up in the Tehachapi Mountains in the high desert of California. It was a long drive back to Los Angeles. I started my Cherokee, removed it's battery and installed it in his Toy. His battery I put in my Cherokee and while we drove, his battery was charging. When the battery from my Cherokee started getting low, we swapped and it was enough to get us home.

A GI can opener on a keyring can have many uses. Mine is mostly used for cutting the tape on boxes and as an emergency common screw driver.

On one hunting trip, cookware was forgotten. We plunked a large flat rock in the middle of our campfire and fried our food on it. I have for years dug a slit trench and rolled rocks set around the campfire for such a purpose and buried them. I'd set my sleeping bag on top and let the heat warm me through the cold desert nights. Only trouble was getting up halfway through the night to put another layer of dirt on them when things got too warm!

I also like to carry small cans of Sterno for instant fire. Open the top, light the Sterno and set the whole thing into the firepit. Usually works real well

Norinco
04-11-11, 01:22
I once jump started a buddy’s car with a power cord we cut off a lamp that was sitting on the curb.

Norinco
04-11-11, 01:27
It works very well. When mounting HMVEE run flats in Iraq we would use a heavy duty 3" ratchet straps. When they become too hard to ratchet put a piece of metal in the handle for leverage.

I’ve done this to a four-wheeler. lol

GTifosi
04-11-11, 08:07
If your driveshaft throws a weight use a hoseclamp to replace it. Just put the clasp where the weight was. If you cant tell, just clamp it down and drive, then shift it a bit. If the vibration gets better you're moving it the right direction.

To carry that one step further:
If you've access to a bathtub and can get the driveshaft off, float the shaft in the tub and put the clamp on so that when the shaft is gently spun along its axis it floats level and comes to rest in a random spot rather than always stopping with a certain side up.

Regarding starters:
Sometimes they actually do spin, but don't engage the flywheel/ring gear.
Get hold of the crank pully, alternator pulley or if an utter emergency, the fan if its belt drive and roll the engine a bit, or if a stick, put the trans in gear and push the car a bit to get the engine to turn a few degrees then try the starter again.
If the bendix is working properly and you got the engine to move enough, the starter will engage the 'fresh' spot and start to crank the engine. (an engine will always stop in the same place when shut off, so there's always a bit more wear at that point in the teeth)

In an emergency, a failed brake hard line can be cut, folded over and crimped with pliers or what have you to get you home.
You'll lose the use of the brakes at that wheel, but 3 out of 4 is far better than 0 when the fluid all runs onto the ground.

hobbeslt
04-12-11, 16:32
Along the lines of what Legion Prime wrote. I knew an old farmer when I was gowing up, ( early 1960's). He would always top off the batteries in his tractors and cars with distilled white vinegar. He explained that it's an acid and distilled water. He would routinely go 10 to 15 years on a battery. When I started driving I remembered the trick and have used it many times on different vehicles. I usually get twice the listed service life on the battery. I've also used a large juice can and hose clamps to repair a broken tail pipe. I cut top and bottom off the can then cut the can up the side the long way. Wrap the can around the tail pipe break and secure with hose clamps. I went two years with that repair on my jeep. The inspection mechanic missed it. It blended pretty well.

Kfgk14
07-28-11, 23:42
If your Camelbak fails on you, take a bike squirt bottle (the kind with a deep groove around the body) and tie it with paracord to the shoulder strap of your pack/armor/vest/etc with a piece of paracord just long enough you can get the bottle to your mouth. To secure it, you can put a little EMS carabiner at a sufficiently lower on the vest or further down the shoulder strap into a loop of webbing and then take another piece of cordage tied to the bottle with a loop in the end so that you can clip it into the lower carabiner. I know that's kinda confusing, but I could do pictures...

TommyG
07-29-11, 11:40
We have always saved ruined bicycle tubes and I usually have one in the truck. Cut them to width and you a very strong rubber band. I have used a length of it over a worn smooth pistol grip for better purchase. Long strips can be cut for binding, tourniquet, etc.

Squares of tube and duct tape make a passable waterproof patch for containers, etc.

The entire tube is easy to configure into a useable sling in a first aid situation.

I have not had to use it yet but I suspect a cut strip of the complete loop doubled or tripled over for length would make a passable fan belt for the vehicle in a pinch.

They weight very little, are small, and have come in very handy in many situations.

Oh yeah, if you are out riding your bike and get a flat and have no spare tubes, stuff your tire as full as you can with leaves and pine needles (or the equivalent from the local environment) and re-seat the bead. It will be like riding on a tire with low air, but it will keep you from having to walk the bike or damaging the wheel by riding on the flat tire.

Kfgk14
07-29-11, 14:28
carry really fine steel wool for use as tinder. even soaking wet, just wring it out and it lights fast; it will rust, so rotate it if you have it in a bugout kit.

A solution to the rust might be just some lubrication. Keep it in a plastic bag and when you need fire, pull it out, squeeze the excess lubricant, and light. Make sure to wipe your hands down after though (lube while trying to put other materials on the fire=bad burns) and always wear gloves around the fire.

Reagans Rascals
07-29-11, 14:49
Use pure Aspirin tablets to unclog a sink... Russian Cosmonauts pioneered this in the ISS... the acetylsalicylic acid will gradually eat through minor clogs.

RogerinTPA
08-29-11, 15:01
I didn't want to start another thread along similar lines, so I'll add to this one.

As a former 11B, we used to game how many ways 550 paracord, a trashbag and 100 mph duct tape could be used. Continuing on this thought, I want to get members opinions on what they use it for (fixes, survival, emergencies, camping/backpacking, etc...).

550 cord: I've used it to make survival bracelets, fishing line, boot laces, lashings for a vehicle, poncho hooch, field shelter, dummy cords on weapons, trip wire, and snares.

Trashbags: I've used it for solar still/water collector, rain gear, ground cover, rucksack content water proofing, sleeping bag liner to retain heat.

100mph tape: hard shell repair, tent repair, inflatable raft repair, hose wrap, emergency butterfly stitches, tape up roommate's hairy ass while drunk:lol:(yes I know, we removed skin and drew blood on that one).

What say you?

TunaFisherman
10-08-11, 01:03
I keep rolls of this on the boat, in my truck/car, my shop and in the house.
http://www.rescuetape.com/?gclid=CLXRgcWy2KsCFQoZQgodymx6Nw

Basic I keep for emergency repairs in with tools.

zip ties
Rescue tape
duct tape
550 para cord
stainless wrapping wire
Marine silicone (clear)
Cedar plugs
plain bar of soap (Diesel leaks)
hose clamps
Zip loc Gallon bags

I know I didnt describe how to use them but they work for temp emergency fixes
I have fixed fuel lines, made alternator belt, hose leaks ect with above list.

60buckscash
11-19-11, 09:29
I keep a small spool of bailing wire in the truck. It really paid off when the muffler hanger broke!

In the entertainment industry we use gaff tape. Think of it as duck tape on steroids when it comes to stickiness and strength. I have used it for bandages to hanging curtians.

Electrical tape works well for when you need to keep pressure on a wound. The eleastic stretch in it can cutt off flow so be careful.

Instead of rail protectors on my AR I filled the slots by wrapping the handguard with black 50lbs sash cord. I have almost 20' on it. Works for shoelaces, fixing slings, tournequiets, carry handles, etc

Brimstone
11-19-11, 12:00
Instead of rail protectors on my AR I filled the slots by wrapping the handguard with black 50lbs sash cord. I have almost 20' on it. Works for shoelaces, fixing slings, tournequiets, carry handles, etc

Pics of that?

60buckscash
11-20-11, 10:31
I got it from work (entertainment tech) but this is it here (http://www.productionadvantageonline.com/Rope-Tie-Line/TL750G.aspx). The glazed line works better! At the start end I tied a knot on the hand guard and then wrapped over it. For the finish I looped it around and then fished it back under itself. It aids in gripping without tearing up a bare hand. (The Allen key is to mount my rear BUIS. I know I need a P.E.P.R. mount.)

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/sixtybuckscash/1120011111b.jpg

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/sixtybuckscash/1120011111.jpg

onebigelf
01-15-12, 16:03
Cotton balls covered in vaseline make great tinder and will burn for 5-7 minutes alone. I keep a few in a ziplock in all my packs and cars.

I keep mine in an empty 35mm film canister.

Someone already mentioned maxi-pads as bandages and they're great. They're sterile and individually wrapped. I also keep a couple of tampons with plastic applicators in my web gear first-aid pouches. Stick it in a bullet hole and push the plunger. It'll swell in place and plug the wound, applying pressure inside the wound to stop/slow bleeding. Then cover it with the pad to help keep crap out of the wound.

John

JackFanToM
01-16-12, 12:53
had a good friend fix a thermostat in a truck with a pencil, rubberband and a piece of cardboard...don't ask particulars as I am no mechanic, and all the fix looked like to me was a a pencil poked thru cardboard with a rubber band around it....made it 2+ hours home though :-)

just a scout
01-16-12, 17:07
I keep mine in an empty 35mm film canister.

Someone already mentioned maxi-pads as bandages and they're great. They're sterile and individually wrapped. I also keep a couple of tampons with plastic applicators in my web gear first-aid pouches. Stick it in a bullet hole and push the plunger. It'll swell in place and plug the wound, applying pressure inside the wound to stop/slow bleeding. Then cover it with the pad to help keep crap out of the wound.

John

I used to use tampons and maxi pads on the ambulance when I worked in a particularly nasty area. Should have seen the look on the trauma center staff faces first time I brought that in! Learned about it from a SEAL Corpsman. Worked well.

Teufelshund
06-13-12, 23:49
I want to start a discussion about field improvising, thinking outside the box, to fix whatever you got with what you have.

Examples of some that I've heard, and some that I've used:

Replacing a broken fan belt with a piece of rope or panty hose.

Using a .22 shell case to replace the old style car fuses (highly NOT recommended).

Using a vehicle battery to power an electric well pump.

Jump start another vehicle without jumper cables.

You get the Idea. Tell us what happened and what your method was to remedy the situation. Disclaimer, no offense to Rednecks!;)

Edited by moderator: Excellent post... I only moved it because it seemed to fit in this forum better.

One Rule: When listing a "trick", please note if you have actually tried it and know for sure that it works -- otherwise please state that you do not know for sure that it works.

Ditto! Great idea for a post. Thanks for putting it hear Mod!

Teufelshund
06-13-12, 23:52
I keep rolls of this on the boat, in my truck/car, my shop and in the house.
http://www.rescuetape.com/?gclid=CLXRgcWy2KsCFQoZQgodymx6Nw

Basic I keep for emergency repairs in with tools.

zip ties
Rescue tape
duct tape
550 para cord
stainless wrapping wire
Marine silicone (clear)
Cedar plugs
plain bar of soap (Diesel leaks)
hose clamps
Zip loc Gallon bags

I know I didnt describe how to use them but they work for temp emergency fixes
I have fixed fuel lines, made alternator belt, hose leaks ect with above list.

Nice! I need to put some of this in my truck.

RECONMAN
08-14-12, 20:49
You can sharpen knives on the bottom of ceramic plates, coffee mugs and on the edge of a car window. I sharpen my kitchen knives on coffee mugs all the time and it works great....especially when it impresses the girlfriend!

trackmagic
10-21-12, 05:36
had a good friend fix a thermostat in a truck with a pencil, rubberband and a piece of cardboard...don't ask particulars as I am no mechanic, and all the fix looked like to me was a a pencil poked thru cardboard with a rubber band around it....made it 2+ hours home though :-)

I should have known McGyver would be a member of m4carbine.net

hambeast
11-14-12, 13:42
You can sharpen knives on the bottom of ceramic plates, coffee mugs and on the edge of a car window. I sharpen my kitchen knives on coffee mugs all the time and it works great....especially when it impresses the girlfriend!

Going to try this when I get home tonight

Will report back if girlfriend is impressed or not.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dseduce
12-20-12, 02:46
All about the tampon thing...we gave them to the afghan army along with pads for wound dressing when supplies were getting low...for some reason we had a bunch lying around from care packages on our all male COP...haha

UnauthorizedAccess
12-24-12, 19:41
Drink 10 to 15 drops of 35% Hydrogen peroxide USP diluted in 8oz of water 2x daily for 2 days on empty stomach only.

Shao
01-07-13, 15:48
I don't know if this has been posted, but high strength cordage can be made from plastic grocery bags, twisted and pulled tightly. Plastic grocery bags make great plugs and can be wrapped and taped around cardboard to make weatherproof panelling.

RogerinTPA
01-07-13, 18:57

What was old is new again...I think using ceramic to sharpen knives has been around for a very long time. I used to think it was a 'southern thing' until I used to see my grandmother sharpen knives in ceramic pots back in the 60s. She said she'd been doing it most of her life, and she was in her late 80's at the time and in Michigan... Then I started traveling around the country and internationally. Come to find out older/rural folks across the world were doing the same thing...

Shao
01-07-13, 19:10
What was old is new again...I think using ceramic to sharpen knives has been around for a very long time. I used to think it was a 'southern thing' until I used to see my grandmother sharpen knives in ceramic pots back in the 60s. She said she'd been doing it most of her life, and she was in her late 80's at the time and in Michigan... Then I started traveling around the country and internationally. Come to find out older/rural folks across the world were doing the same thing...

I've been showing folks this for years. For a badly chipped blade 200 grit sandpaper on a notepad or mousepad can totally change the profile within a matter of just a few minutes.

Here's a great one I discovered as a child - if you're alkalines every die or if you find dead alkalines - try beating them together repeatedly positive to negative end - you're usually able to get an at least useable amount of juice from them afterwards.

PLA
08-04-13, 13:23
In my experience the only plastic trash bags that will work in a low humidity environment are the clear ones. Ive made a group of solar stills to prove this for non believers.

What works the best are the 3 mil plastic drop cloths painters use, cut them into 9x9 foot squares and use a pot or a bucket to collect water. Most who build solar stills underestimate how large they have to be to produce enough water for keeping you alive in the desert. Its quite a hole to dig for a truly effective operation.

BTW my first post here. I like the knowlege base here, answers a lot of my questions about the platform Ive had but never knew to ask. I have a lifetime of farm/trapping/outdoor/LE experience, but always looked at the AR as a tool more than an ornament like so many on other sites.

JohnnyC
11-11-13, 17:10
De-core some paracord, splice a locked brummel on one end, and you can use it as a makeshift snare. You can also make a reduced-rating soft shackle out of it. It's not rated the same as an amsteel soft shackle as you're compromising the integrity of the core, but it still holds up pretty well.

DukeNukem
01-11-14, 22:07
These aren't fixes, but they're improvisations...here's what I've actually done for extended periods of time....

Cook meat - Wrap meat in aluminum foil with tails at both ends, the wrap tails around the exhaust manifold pipe. Push the foil and meat against the pipe for best heat conduction.

lunchbox
01-11-14, 22:34
These aren't fixes, but they're improvisations...here's what I've actually done for extended periods of time....

Cook meat - Wrap meat in aluminum foil with tails at both ends, the wrap tails around the exhaust manifold pipe. Push the foil and meat against the pipe for best heat conduction.My grandfather had a similar cooking trick with a metal basket attached to the trucks engine manifold.

Shao
01-12-14, 08:01
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one: If you need flame and have only cheap empty lighters (the 3 for $1 kind), you can get quite a bit of usable flame from them after they die by removing the windcover, lifting the gas adjustment ring. Spin the ring to the left, careful not engage the plastic gear that controls the actual valve. Re-engage the gear and move the valve back to max flame position - depending on how little is left, you may have to repeat it a few times. This trick has saved my goose more than once.

Also, if you ever break or lose a hammer or trigger pin, there's a .148" nail (forgot the gauge) that, if long enough, can be used to hold your FCG together - just peen the other end off after everything is in place. It may feel sloppy, but a sloppy gun is better than no gun.

Using the plastic bag cordage trick I listed earlier, I once repaired a wooden chair for an overweight friend that inadvertently smashed it while taking a particularly hard sit. After making enough cordage from the plastic grocery bags, I rigged the chair up with it and he would brag years later that out of the four chairs that came with the dinette set, the only one that still works is the grocery bag repaired one.

I also like to carry small cans of Sterno for instant fire. Open the top, light the Sterno and set the whole thing into the firepit. Usually works real well

Sterno and primers can be used as an improvised distraction device: Open Sterno, use a toothpick or stick to drive primers (I used small pistol primers) in at various depths into the gel. Light Sterno... The primers will only ignite as the flame reaches them (pushing primers in deeper will give you more of a time delay). If using larger primers, you may blow all the Sterno out of the can, in which case you've just created a time-delay incendiary device.

Malamute
06-05-15, 23:14
Use a piece of 3/4" metal banding material and make your own. I've made two and they both worked great. Alot easier solution is to hide a spare door key behind the license plate.

I zip tied a spare set of keys under the frame of my truck and ended up needing them once out in the hills. I've also locked myself out of several vehicles, once in the mountains. I was surprised how easy it was to get in. I finally came upon a really effective way to avoid being locked out of my vehicles. I had spares made and just carry them in my pocket. Always. Usually two spares.

I knew a Navajo guy that told me a story. His relatives broke a truck frame. They used an axe to chop a Juniper log to fit in the frame channel, then wrapped it completely with strips of inner tube. They ended up driving it for a couple years.

I've tried Coke on batteries in the past and it worked great. I tried it recently and it didnt work. I ended up having to use baking soda in warm water to clean up my battery.

If your gun gets balky out and about, pulling the dipstick gets you oil easily. Was shooting a friends 1911 once, it was operating in super slow motion, like about 1-2 seconds to close the slide after shooting. Oiled it with the dipstick and it ran fine. Its also not that hard to keep a bottle of gun oil in your vehicle, along with a basic GI cleaning kit and some extra brushes and patches. Been very handy a number of times.

Tikkatac
02-21-16, 23:27
This thread is fantastic. Great read..

Wooohah
06-11-16, 04:02
I specialize in gear, so i suppose ill give my two cents on field improvised fixes for gear.
important tools to note:

>Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl (Great heavy duty sewing needle for sewing Canvas or 500/1000D cordura
>Shoe goo (Its rubber glue that can glue fabric together like super glue)
>Some 500D cordura as well as some waterproof poncho (Patching holes)
>550 Paracord (Pretty obvious)
>100 MPH tape
>Assorted zip ties

With shoe goo, you can patch holes in packs by sandwiching 500D cordura between the hole.
With the sewing awl, you can patch tears in packs, then using 500D and shoe goo you may then further patch it up.
You can use waterproof poncho liner with shoe goo, then taped with 100 MPH tape for patching tents
With tape, zip ties and 550 cord, I think i can combine any two things and make them function together.
Great for tying kit together, or repurposing kit that has broken.
Keep some 50/50 nyco ripstop around if you want to fix clothing, shoe goo is a great way to patch clothing with using 50/50 nyco.

lunchbox
06-11-16, 20:29
My favorite has always been jump starting dead car battery with Aspirin.

wil
09-03-21, 14:27
My favorite has always been jump starting dead car battery with Aspirin.

use non-coated aspirin for this, coated doesn't work.

Battery cable ends get stretched? Especially on late model where you have to purchase a costly factory cable to replace it?

Get std copper water pipe, cut a length to fit the height of the battery terminal, cut the piece lengthwise, slide it over the terminal. A shim for the cable end to tighten it back up.