PDA

View Full Version : So what would you do?

ra2bach
06-21-09, 13:42
after selling and trading away my Highpower rifles, I find myself with just a couple of 16" barreled uppers. both of these are fairly new (less than 500 rd.)

one of the uppers is a complete Armalite 1/9 LEC model flattop with fixed FSB, A2 flashhider, and Armalite BCG with a BravoCo upgrade.

the other upper is a GG&G "Dominator" with LWRC BCG. the receiver is branded GG&G though some have said it appears to be LMT. it's wearing their quad rails, combo gas block/folding front sight (pretty slick, btw), folding BUIS, Phantom flash hider, and the barrel is 16" 1/9 twist.

some ad copy claims: "16 Inch Chrome Moly-Hard Chrome Lined, M203 Contoured Barrel With 1-9 Twist Rate And Flash Hider. Barrel And Chamber Are Chrome Lined And Have Been High Pressure And Magnetic Particle Tested", but I have not been able to confirm that...

I guess I would like to end up with at least three different configurations - one a SBR, one a 16", and one in 18"-20" SPR profile.

my question is this: given that I want to purchase another upper, what would you recommend - a 16" middie? build an SPR from scratch and cut one of the other two barrels down?

I would prefer NOT to junk it all and start over, but honestly, all opinions appreciated...

Failure2Stop
06-21-09, 18:37
You asked for honesty, so here it is-

I would not be in any moral conundrum to retain either of your current uppers.
I would sell-off as much as I could of the Armalite (if not the entire upper) and get a good LMT/BCM SBR upper assembly.

Once that was done I would sell-off the GG&G thing and go with another quality option such as a BCM or Noveske 16" Middie with whatever rail floats your boat.

After those were said and done I would look into the SPR concept, being aware that if the 16" middie was properly selected and equipped, it would fulfill 80% of the SPR's purpose.

This is my opinon.

Littlebear
06-21-09, 20:52

I would sell-off as much as I could of the Armalite (if not the entire upper) and get a good LMT/BCM SBR upper assembly.

Once that was done I would sell-off the GG&G thing and go with another quality option such as a BCM or Noveske 16" Middie with whatever rail floats your boat.

After those were said and done I would look into the SPR concept, being aware that if the 16" middie was properly selected and equipped, it would fulfill 80% of the SPR's purpose.

This is my opinon.

I cannot believe I am saying this, but i have to agree with F2S... :confused:

billybronco
06-21-09, 21:13
not to be a dick, i've done the same before......but, why are you so terribly astounded at the fact that you can't agree with a "Subject Matter Expert".

You do realize that they don't really hand those out at state fairs, right?

ra2bach
06-22-09, 12:16

This is my opinon.

you're right. I know I can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit, but I don't think I'm going to get a lot of $$ back out of what I already have. I'm just trying to get where I want to eventually be on the pay-as-you-go plan.

truth is, I got a spare BCM BCG just waiting to go into one of their middies first one I see available. you're right, this will probably do 90% of what I need done but the other guns will be more for "hobby" type activities that I'll upgrade as time and money allows. I realize that's not the scope of this site but since I already have those other uppers, I'm not gonna pretend they won't work at all in that role.

my idea for an SBR is the smallest, lightest, simplest gun possible for around the house - nothing much outside of 50-75 yards. the Armalite upper isn't first tier but I'd hardly call it a throw-away. it's got an upgraded extractor and staked BCG and while the bolt is not HP or MPT, it's not going to see the round count that would mean much. I could lop off the barrel, slap a light on its MOE handguard, and with a fixed rear sight, call it good.

trading my WOA Highpower A2 carry handle upper with a full profile 20" SS Douglas barrel for the GG&G upper was not a hard decision as there was NOTHING else available at the time. it probably was not a "perfect" solution, but it was a step in the right direction. so here I am...

I may try to sell the GG&G but I don't think I will get much for it as I could in January. it may be a pig in a poke but once again, it's a decent "hobby" upper that can be upgraded as I go along. ..

thanks for the reply...

warpigM-4
06-22-09, 15:27
I started a build came here and started reading ,sold much of my stuff and Bought a 14.5 M4 Colt barrel and colt Upper.Now I have a keyhole upper sitting around just sold my other Barrel .as they say "if you don't buy the right thing, you will buy twice"I did that:( But now everything on my weapon is colt except the Lower and a BCM BCG .I plan on getting a colt lower one day

Iraqgunz
06-22-09, 15:40
I agree with the F2S as well. A 16" properly assembled and equipped will met an SPR standard.

This is my opinon.

chadbag
06-22-09, 15:44
The "problem" with the GG&G upper is that it is not a FF rail (and the 1/9). They have some new versions coming out with FF tubes and 1/7 but those are hard to come by.

ra2bach
06-22-09, 20:18
The "problem" with the GG&G upper is that it is not a FF rail (and the 1/9). yes, this is true. but for what I paid for the setup, I consider the rails a free add on, or practically so.

it doesn't have many rounds thru it, maybe I will give it a chance to see how much I can sell it for.

thanks for the reply...