PDA

View Full Version : California-M4/AR15 Education

CALSHOOTER
06-22-09, 00:11
This might sound like a gripe on some california LEO's but it's not especially given the fact were I work. So can someone or better yet can a Cal LEO tell why some LEO's understand PC12276 assault weapons ban as written but don't have a clear idea on how to assess a cal legal OLL (off list lower) or complete cal legal M4/AR? I'm a PSO (Police Service Officer) at a college police department. One night I had been viewing this site to get some ideas on my next build and ok ordering parts as well.
While viewing M4's from unrestricted states like Texas*@$#%^! one of our officers/work friend came in asked what site is that and I told him and also let it out that I planned on building a second cal legal AR (mistake) like these but cal legal. His response was "you may be in violation of PC12276". I then then tried to educate him on how this could be done by showing him a flowchart on calguns.net, gun shops that specialize in cal AR's, gun shops that sell OLL and or complete cal AR's, etc. But here's what shook me after showing him all this and saying I can go six miles up the road and buy a cal legal lower receiver, "I'm sure you know what your talking about with this lower what evers but I can only go by the laws given". This seemed like a I'm sworn and know more than you thing and respectful education did'nt work in this case. I understand the brotherhood thing more so than some having retired from the military and worked in special units, this just seemed like a sworn officer on a horse. Let me say this to you all I have deep respect for LE and wish the elected officials would put more energy on the crimials than the law abiding citizens. By the way I first learned about cal legal AR's from our patrol rifle instructor. Let me know what you think.

FMF_Doc
06-22-09, 15:10
liberal media, uninformed law enforcement, and too many tree huggers make for trouble for the gun owner, I am glad I live in a free state, then it is a non issue.

Some people in LE, take their own interpretation of a statute as gospel and won't listen to reason or even the correct interpretation, it happens in other states as well.

diving dave
06-22-09, 15:58
Well, I've been a LEO for close to 20 years here in the former"Golden" state..and I can confirm that the vast majority of Officers have no clue whats legal and whats not. Personally, I feel its a result of poorly written laws that make no dam sense. Those 10 rd. mags have really reduced crime in this state.....:eek:I would think the best bet is to print out a copy of the penal code sections that dictate what is an "assault" weapon and what is not. That way if for some reason you come in contact with law enforcement regarding the rifle, you can respectfully explain issues of off list lowers, and issues with a non detachable mags, and that your build is in complience with the law. Myself, I've got 5 more years till I retire and I'm getting the hell out of here. Good luck.

1859sharps
06-22-09, 22:29
Calshooter, if you spend time on calguns then you know the word is getting out. more and more LEO are getting educated on the current state of what is a banned "assault" rifle and what is not.

I think it's hard for us non LEO to remember not all LEO are "into guns", so they are not overly motivated to keep up on ever changing, badly written and confusing gun laws just for the heck of it.

To be fair, places like California spew out new criminal laws like water going over Niagara falls. Its not humanly possible to keep up with whats current. While I know some LEO make no effort, others do. And the section of the penal code dealing with firearms is only one small part.

Your best defense is for you to KNOW the law, and keep current documentation with you when transporting your OLL.

Dunderway
06-22-09, 23:38
A Detective with Sacramento PD seems to have issued a memo to his fellow officers about the matters you describe. I printed out a copy to throw into my gun bag, but I don't know if it would do you any good outside of Sac.

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/Sacramento-PD-OLL_Training_Bulletin-2008-11-18.pdf

JWNathan
06-23-09, 01:18
I just printed out the penal codes and the flow chart and keep them in my range bag. Any bit of info you can give the LEOs the better IMO.
-Jesse

CALSHOOTER
06-23-09, 03:05
Just got home and viewed all your replies. I already had a flow chart in my carry bag, but I think I'll put one in each car and add a high lighted PC12276.1 assualt weapons laws with the info that is used to help Sacramento PD LE in as well. Oh one other thing, when my last son finishes school and I retire again, I'll be looking at the Republic of Texas as my new home.

Thanks stay safe