PDA

View Full Version : installing/reassembling Omega X FSP rail?

RAM Engineer
06-22-09, 07:23
I've got a DDM4 with the standard OmegaX FSP rail and I've got questions about reassembling it that are not addressed in the included manual:

1. Are there any requirements for torque on either the set screws or the 6 rail screws? Finger tight and then an additional 1/4 turn? 200 ft-lbs? :D
2. Any thread locker recommended for either set of screws?
3. I'm actually kind of paranoid about the set screws backing out during usage. It's just the aviation maintenance guy in me or something. What would be the effect on the rifle if this DID occur?
4. For reassembly, its side screws first and set screws second, correct?
5. Does the Omega X have it's own installation manual that I could get a hold of?

Thanks,

Jason

Robb Jensen
06-22-09, 09:15
50-75ft lbs and you'll need a DD Lite Rail wrench. The set screws will not back out, they already have thread locker on them. The side screws have nylon washers and they don't come lose either.

spamsammich
06-22-09, 15:29
gotm4 is referring to the barrel nut torque with the 50-75 ft-lbs if that wasn't already obvious.

I usually go 1/4 turn past solid contact, then another 1/8th turn past that depending on how the set screw feels. I tighten opposing sets of screws like lug nuts on a tire. Sorry to be so vague.

Also, I wear down the threadlock that comes on the screws and re-apply blue loc-tite so I can get a better feel for when the set screw makes first contact with the barrel nut. Once securely fastened, you will most likely hurt yourself before you are able to get those set screws to move on that barrel nut.