PDA

View Full Version : Noob 10.5 Question

Rated21R
06-22-09, 09:47
Would a 10.5 be a bad first AR to own? Other than the having to go through all the Form 4 process any other reason why to look elsewhere? Just curious. Thanks.

Frens
06-22-09, 09:54
hey, if you can why not? :D

Rated21R
06-22-09, 09:59
hey, if you can why not? :D

That is how I feel. LOL

Not sure if it is worth it with the wait time, etc. but the more I think about it the more I think it would be the way to go. Then I do think about having to PCS and cross state lines, etc. with it and flying to classes with it, how much of a problem is that? :confused:

lanceriley
06-22-09, 10:00
my first ar was an 11.5in barrel. Didn't have a problem. It was not a choice really. somebody was selling and I was buying. but i've "upgraded" now and have a 14.5in

Failure2Stop
06-22-09, 13:52
I would not choose an NFA item as a first gun.

My opinon is that the "best" first/GP AR is a 16" middie. They have good ballistics (both terminal and external), a nice recoil impulse, short enough for easy handling, easily changed muzzle devices, a sufficiently long rail/HG for alternate position work, less issue with the operating system, and less issue with interstate travel.
To me the biggest issue is simply with having an NFA item as your only "primary", mostly due to the highly transient state that most of us mil members have to accept as a fact of life which may preclude the ability to bring it with you.

Were SBRs not NFA items I would probably still prefer 16" middies, but a 10.5 to 12.5 would be right behind it simply because of how handy they are.

Just my opinion.

FMF_Doc
06-22-09, 14:00
If you aren't doing dynamic entries or shooting people in the face at close quarters then having SBR is just a novelty, so aside from the "cool" factor if you are in the market for a good AR I also like the middy 16 inch, or possibly a 14.5 with a pinned FH.

Why take the chance that the CLEO in your area will not sign off forcing you take a different approach, and then wait for uncle scrooge to give you permission to do something that should be none of their business.

I considered SBR for several years, even went to the Sheriff (who is a friend) and he said no problems with approval, but in the end decided that I can live with either the 16 in bbl or pinning the FH on a 14.5.

My door kicking days are long over.

My ARs are plinkers and truck guns now, my HD weapon of choice is a 12 ga not a rifle or pistols.

SWATcop556
06-22-09, 15:56
SBRs serve many shooters out the other than those who make entries or shoot people in the face for a living. :rolleyes:

I know of many of the respected members here who own SBRs and love them. And they are the first to admit that they are not operators. The own them because they can.

A SBR is a choice to deal with the extra hassle which IMO was worth it. Stating that they serve no purpose other than the two you listed is close-minded. It's the owners choice. Just because you feel they serve no purpose and are not worth the trouble doesn't mean you opinion is the majority.

All that being said I would follow FTS's advice and grab a 16" middie from BCM for your first one. But SBR your lowers to your hearts content.

And a little research will show that, ballistics-wise, a rifle is a better and safer choice for HD than a shotgun with 00 buck.

markm
06-22-09, 16:04
SBRs serve many shooters out the other than those who make entries or shoot people in the face for a living. :rolleyes:

Exactly. One of my 11.5s is my home defensive primary weapon. A 16" gun would be less than optimal inside of my house.

tweakmeister
06-22-09, 18:07
10.5's (or any shorty) are my favorite, but I love my LMT 16" almost as much. Get a SPM-16 or 6920 and have a blast...then pick up an SBR.

CaptainDooley
06-22-09, 18:45
Home defense and truck guns are two big reasons I can think of off the bat to get an SBR as a non-door kicker... a 10.5" rifle is a lot easier to find a discreet (read: NON-rifle) bag for if you plan to keep it stored in your vehicle...

I tossed the idea around, but did decide to not go SBR with my first AR because I wanted to make sure I had a rifle I could take into 90% of the country if need be. That said, now that my 2nd AR is likely coming, I'm thinking about SBRing one of the lowers and buying a new upper once everything goes through...

FMF_Doc
06-22-09, 20:22
My statement may have been a little strong, but I agree that if you live somewhere SBR is an option, and have a plan for the gun (truck or whatever) then it's definitely something to consider. 5.56/.223 is considered by some a relatively weak round and the shorter your barrel the more velocity you give up.

Rated21R
06-23-09, 02:21
thanks for all the replies. i think i will get a 16inch or a 14.5inch with pinned FH and then save up for a 10.5inch Noveske. I need to get something basic to start with and then continue the sickness with other toys.