PDA

View Full Version : Pinned flash hider moves

mech_eng
06-22-09, 13:43
Question for you guys.

I pinned the flash hider on my barrel last night and the hole was a little bit oversize for the pin. I did a fit check and it seemed all was good, but after welding the pin to the flash hider and barrel I took a wrench to see if I could move it. I was able to move the flash hider a little bit back and forth with the wrench, but you could feel the pin was holding. Is this good enough or should I drill out the weld and repin the flash hider to make sure there is no movement at all? Or add another pin at the 9 o'clock position?

Thanks

Robb Jensen
06-22-09, 13:52
You should have dimpled the threads for the pin.

warpigM-4
06-22-09, 15:14
I just sent my Upper to ADCO to pin my extended FH .I was afraid I would goof it up.I didnt even think about having to dimple the threads.I would think just a little play in it would not effect it

mech_eng
06-22-09, 20:58
You should have dimpled the threads for the pin.

Threads were dimpled, it's just that the pin is undersize in diameter with respect to the hole and that is where the play is.

Robb Jensen
06-22-09, 21:41
Threads were dimpled, it's just that the pin is undersize in diameter with respect to the hole and that is where the play is.

When I pin/weld I use a piece of 1/8" dowel pin and dimple using a 1/8" drill.

spamsammich
06-22-09, 21:54
I went with a #31 drill (0.120") to dimple and a 1/8" SS dowel fit perfectly with no wiggle.