PDA

View Full Version : Didn't see that one coming...

Crash
06-22-09, 18:47
So, back in October I decided that I wanted to get an SBR. I decided on a Mk18Mod0 clone. I ordered my lower, tested it, and then sent it off to the engraver. I also purchased a KAC NT4 suppressor and started that process. The lower came back quickly, and I waited to submit all the paperwork to the sheriff at the same time(After the NT4 was at my local dealer). At that time, there were plenty of LMT 10.5 uppers on various dealers' sights, so I thought little of securing one. I sent off my paper work in early February, and ordered a 10.5 inch LMT upper directly from LMT, along with a FA Carrier Group, and LMT Fixed Rear Sight.

Now I sit here with my legally registered lower, my registered suppressor, and no upper to mount them to. I wish I could say I saw this coming, but I didn't think it would be an issue. I even had a chance to secure one from BCM a month or two back, but as they didn't have a carrier group available, I passed.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/Crash_1/MK18Mod0.jpg

A further irony is that by posting this, it may actually make it harder to secure the upper, as guys who have not submitted their paperwork may decide to make sure they have their parts before moving forward, thereby increasing demand. I had considered that if my upper came in before the stamp came back, a friend was going to take possession of the upper (he doesn't own AR-15s) and I would be in the clear until my stamp came in.

As it stands now, I have a "promised" date of July 15th from LMT. I sure hope that doesn't slip.

Fireguy275
06-22-09, 18:53
A friend of mine has one for sale. I'm pm'ing you his email address.

Mo_Zam_Beek
06-22-09, 19:19
That sucks.

I hope you find something soon.

Good luck

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-22-09, 20:06
You will find one soon. I am seeing a lot of stuff like this popping up lately.

sapper36
06-22-09, 21:48
Thers a 11.5" BCM in the sale forum right now

LOKNLOD
06-22-09, 21:58
How about a Noveske N4 light 10.5? In stock at BravoCompanyUSA (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Noveske-N4-Light-Carbine-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/n4%20basic%2010%20urg.htm)

I don't think you'd find a better 10.5 anywhere, and it would certainly be my choice if building a 10.5"er.... If I could afford it.

Robb Jensen
06-22-09, 22:00
FWIW LMT is pretty damn accurate with their projected delivery dates.

SWATcop556
06-23-09, 01:44
FWIW LMT is pretty damn accurate with their projected delivery dates.

This has been my experience as well. My last direct order from them was only 4 days off FWIW.

I love my 10.5 LMT! :cool:

Crash
06-23-09, 09:57
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll wait for LMT. I could pick up that Noveske, and it seems very nice, but it's $300 more, and I still wouldn't have a carrier group.

Iraqgunz
06-24-09, 10:14
Bravo Company and Grant had BCG's in stock yesterday. Grant may still have some. Also, Chad at e-guns. has LMT bolts for 67.00 dollars.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll wait for LMT. I could pick up that Noveske, and it seems very nice, but it's $300 more, and I still wouldn't have a carrier group.

Crash
06-25-09, 13:51
Do you guys mind voicing an opinion on the Noveske NT4 Shorty vs. LMT 10.5? I've found a few Noveskies in stock, and although the price is higher, its not that much higher. As mentioned above, I have a promised date of 7/15 for the LMT, but I'm considering ordering the Noveske and canceling my LMT order. The lower is LMT, and I had wanted to keep it all LMT, but the Noveske has me thinking...

Specifically what I'm wondering about is the quality of the Noveske. Now, I know they make outstanding barrels, but how about the overall upper? Any feedback on performance of this specific upper? Ammo finicky? For the past few years all I've heard is when going 10.5 go LMT and don't look back. I've also heard people complain about issues with the concentricity of the LMT threads when mounting a suppressor. Any informed opinion would be greatly appreciated.

As shown in previous thread posts, the uppers will be ran with the NT4.

HPLLC
06-25-09, 16:37
LMT has in the past been a source of poorly threaded barrels for use with suppressors, so it may be better to cancel the order and get a different barrel to avoid finding your build fraught with POI shift issues.

My LMT 10.5 barrel is way out of concentric. I'm unhappy with that.

markm
06-26-09, 08:55
I'd jump on the Noveske.

This kind of scenario is why I don't subscribe to the don't buy the barrel before you get your stamp chicken shit.

HPLLC
06-26-09, 09:55
The noveske stuff is kind of spendy, I'd probably go SS white oak armament through ADCO firearms, they cut and thread barrels for silencers and do good work and it will be more affordable.

CarlosDJackal
06-26-09, 12:49
Possible Option? BCM 11.5 Upper w/DD Rail (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-11-5-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-Defense-p/bcm-urg-11%20ddl10.htm)

Luke_Y
07-01-09, 14:44
LMT 10.5 uppers in stock at Bravo Co now

RD62
07-01-09, 16:29
LMT has in the past been a source of poorly threaded barrels for use with suppressors, so it may be better to cancel the order and get a different barrel to avoid finding your build fraught with POI shift issues.

My LMT 10.5 barrel is way out of concentric. I'm unhappy with that.

How difficult is it to correct this? Is it correctable? I'd like to get a M4-2K or similar for mine in the future.

-RD62

Crash
07-02-09, 15:32
How difficult is it to correct this? Is it correctable? I'd like to get a M4-2K or similar for mine in the future.

-RD62

I'm curious too. Did you talk to Gene at LMT? Will they do anything about it? I was concerned about this very issue several months back, and I talked to Gene, he stated:

"I’ve literally fired thousands of our barrels suppressed and have never had an issue."

Fireglock
07-02-09, 19:17
A thread started by Steve at ADCO FA.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=130&t=158403

The link is from ADCO's web page.