PDA

View Full Version : Feed Ramp/Cleaning Question...

Razorhunter
01-18-07, 18:46
Guys,
I've been debating on polishing my Colt M4's feed ramps. I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere on the web before, so I was just thinking about researching to find out what's the BEST method for doing the polishing.
Anyhow, in the meantime, I would like to know HOW I can get my M4 feedramps back to nice and SHINY CLEAN and NEW looking again?
After a few hundred shots, I went to clean my new M4 for the first time, and I have noticed that no matter which solvent I used, the feedramps are still stained up a good bit (black in color) , and wil not really get totally clean and shiny again.
Let me say that they are just stained and not built up with carbon or anything like that. I am quite particular about keeping a weapon clean, and every time I clean the gun, I make sure to take a Hoppes nylon toothrush and scrub the feedramps quite vigorously.
SO, with that all said, I'm wondering HOW I can get my feedramps CLEAN again, like they were when new????

While we are talking cleaning, I would also like to know if there is any documentation or literature I can obtain, that specifically covers cleaning an AR15/M4 in DETAIL????
Not that I MUST have it to be able to competently clean my weapon, but I honestly would just like to know how the pros do it, and compare my method(s) to theirs. As of now, I really haven't developed a method for cleaning the trigger area, which is of concern. (realizing of course, that the trigger area does not get that dirty, but I'm sure it needs attention at one point or another).
Thanks for any help you guys can share...

militarymoron
01-18-07, 22:00
i'd recommend against trying to get parts of the rifle looking NEW. if you shoot it, there's normal wear and tear on parts. stuff will get worn, stained, scratched, finish worn off etc. by polishing to you can induce MORE wear and tear by trying to return it to looking new again. if you're really meticulous, clean it until you're satisfied. but don't worry about discolourations, stains etc.
the only way to keep it looking new is not to shoot it.

Razorhunter
01-18-07, 23:50
I have to disagree with one thing you say.
While I DO agree that a rifle is going to show signs of use (which I actually LIKE by the way!), I will say that I PERSONALLY would prefer to keep my feed ramps looking AS CLEAN AS POSSIBLE.
Is this TOTALLY necessary? Probably not. Is my gun going to function any better with factory fresh looking feedramps? Probably not.
Am I going to enjoy my gun more, and enjoy the sight of clean feed ramps every time I look inside the receiver?
Well HELL yes my friend!
NO, it's not totally necessary, but at the same time, NO, it's not going to hurt a THING.
IF one polishes his feedramps, it is done when you first buy the rifle (ONE TIME), and that is it.
From then on, one should just keep them CLEAN and even shiny if so desired.

Let me make it clear that I'm NOT thinking about POLISHING my feedramps every time I clean the weapon.
There is a big difference between CLEANING the feed ramps and POLISHING them..
Continuous polishing would eventually hurt them (I must say even this would take a while, as long as performed by experienced hands).
Continuous CLEANING is ok, and can NEVER hurt the weapon (if done correctly)...

Still wondering if someone can share any tips on CLEANING the black residue off the feed ramps??? I have a number of ideas, but thought I'd check first, before any attempts are made...
Thanks guys...

militarymoron
01-19-07, 09:07
your post asked about polishing in the first sentence. it also didn't say anything about polishing it only ONCE. as you stated, after a few hundred shots, the feedramps are still stained up a bit. okay, so you polish it now, ONCE, and they look new again. shoot another few hundred rounds out of it and you're back to square one. i assume you're going to shoot it again after polishing the feed ramps, and if it bothers you now, it'll bother you again. so what will you do then?
marks or discolouration on the feed ramps don't mean they're not clean. they just don't look new. just because they don't look new doesn't mean they're not clean.
hence my suggestion that you CLEAN them as well as you want to and not worry if they don't look NEW.
what about those ugly marks on the shell deflector? :)

Stephen_H
01-19-07, 09:38
MM gave you good advice the first go around. You're going to do more harm than good with your attitude on cleanliness.

Stephen

Aubrey
01-19-07, 11:31
The feed ramps in the barrel extension are one thing (steel), but the feed ramps in the receiver are another (hard-anodized aluminum). It would be easy to honk up the receiver. You have a properly-constructed upper. IMO it doesn't need a Dremel any where near the feed ramps.

deadwood83
01-19-07, 12:30
what about those ugly marks on the shell deflector? :)

Sharpie time!!:D sorry. couldn't resist.

mark5pt56
01-19-07, 15:07
I've never specifically cleaned the ramps themselves, never had an issues with that either.

If it makes you feel better, just take a q-tip, rub cleaner on it, let it sit and dry it off.

Razorhunter
01-19-07, 19:07
Well I guess I thought it would be obvious that no one would actually POLISH their feed ramps more than once.
You send a 1911 to a custom gunsmith to polish your feedramp, which helps with reliability. Some gunsmiths do this to AR15's as well. I've never known anyone who would do this MULTIPLE times.
Polishing is not a necessity (on AR's) , I'm sure. Probably doesn't do much more than ease one's mind either.

The whole point of this post, was to ask if anyone knew how to clean the feedramps to the point of being shiny. (I simply assumed everyone knew I was asking for some type of solvent that would remove the black. I did not realize anyone was going to assume that I was suggesting abrasives to polish the ramps on a regular basis.) That would of course damage the ramps, as abrasives remove metal.
I simply want to know if there is a SOLVENT that will remove the black staining each time I clean the rifle. I don't think this is a bad idea at all, and I see guys post pics of well used rifles, that have shiny feedramps. (I also see guys post them with dull, black feed ramps too).
I simply want a suggestion to get them shiny each time I clean (WITHOUT USING ABRASIVES).
Simple as that.

Sorry if I have been unclear in the previous several posts. I generally feel like I post clear, but sometimes that isn't always the case.
Thanks to milmoron for his suggestions, as well as everyone else's..

-H-
01-20-07, 22:58
I only polish my Feedramps with "Feedramp Polish TM."

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/842/feedramppolish8hb.gif (http://imageshack.us)

It only comes in 5 gallon buckets!

SuicideHz
01-20-07, 23:40
Guys,
I've been debating on polishing my Colt M4's feed ramps. I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere on the web before, so I was just thinking about researching to find out what's the BEST method for doing the polishing.
Anyhow, in the meantime, I would like to know HOW I can get my M4 feedramps back to nice and SHINY CLEAN and NEW looking again?
After a few hundred shots, I went to clean my new M4 for the first time, and I have noticed that no matter which solvent I used, the feedramps are still stained up a good bit (black in color) , and wil not really get totally clean and shiny again.
Let me say that they are just stained and not built up with carbon or anything like that. I am quite particular about keeping a weapon clean, and every time I clean the gun, I make sure to take a Hoppes nylon toothrush and scrub the feedramps quite vigorously.
SO, with that all said, I'm wondering HOW I can get my feedramps CLEAN again, like they were when new????

While we are talking cleaning, I would also like to know if there is any documentation or literature I can obtain, that specifically covers cleaning an AR15/M4 in DETAIL????
Not that I MUST have it to be able to competently clean my weapon, but I honestly would just like to know how the pros do it, and compare my method(s) to theirs. As of now, I really haven't developed a method for cleaning the trigger area, which is of concern. (realizing of course, that the trigger area does not get that dirty, but I'm sure it needs attention at one point or another).
Thanks for any help you guys can share...

You've obviously already fired it and you are looking to polish them NOW which is what MM advised against.

Just leave it be. Your ramps are made of steel and anodized aluminum- harder than the copper that strikes them. Anything visually "wrong" with them is superficial. Let it go.

Razorhunter
01-21-07, 10:02
I only polish my Feedramps with "Feedramp Polish TM."

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/842/feedramppolish8hb.gif (http://imageshack.us)

It only comes in 5 gallon buckets!

Ok Ok! Hahaha!! That's too funny guys!!!!
ROFLMAO!!!

-H-
01-21-07, 14:05
In all seriousness, if there are zero feeding problems then you'd be better suited to just leave them be.

Shiney and nice looking doesn't equal functional. It's an AR15, if you shoot it, it will get dirty. Don't waste your time worrying about physical appearances, unless of course you have OCD.

AMMOTECH
01-21-07, 15:33
I've found that the less you **** with a weapon the better it runs.
Get a spare bolt and some new mags and train with it. If you have feed problems send it back to the factory and let them fix it.