PDA

View Full Version : Dummy Rounds

huklbrry
06-22-09, 21:53
Im new to the AR world but have been cruising my way through this forum for a little while. I have learned a lot from the insight, experience, and opinions from a good number of the contributors. This is probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. What are dummy rounds for?:confused:

SWATcop556
06-22-09, 22:29
I use dummy rounds for several things. They are great for dry fire and reload training when you can't make it to the range. I also like them for malfunction training. You can introduce them with your live ammo at the range to simulate a malf drill or you can use them at home. A very worthwhile tool to have. I usually keep 10-15 on hand at range sessions and at the house.

DNW
06-22-09, 22:43
I use dummy rounds for several things. They are great for dry fire and reload training when you can't make it to the range. I also like them for malfunction training. You can introduce them with your live ammo at the range to simulate a malf drill or you can use them at home. A very worthwhile tool to have. I usually keep 10-15 on hand at range sessions and at the house.

What he said.

As a shooter and an instructor I have noticed that whenever you tell someone you are doing malfunction or transition drills, they think there way through and perform the drill great (conscious mental processing). Some of these same shooters (I have seen it in my self) when faced with an un-planned failure hesitate. The skill has not been trained to the sub-conscious level. Using dummy rounds let you introduce failures randomly if you let people load each others mags for them during any drill you do.

huklbrry
06-22-09, 23:08
Thanks guys, I'll pick some up to work in with my training.

M4Fundi
06-22-09, 23:46
Having a shot timer, dummy rounds and some proper dryfire, malfunction drills can make those drills fun and not so monotonous. Timing yourself and watching your times improve is just as gratifying as watching your bench press improve. :pGet proper training first so you don't ingrain any bad habits. :eek:

meisterhau
06-23-09, 07:53
I was thinking about these as well over the past couple of days, especially after watching Magpul's first volume of Art of the Tactical Carbine. I'm seriously thinking on picking up a few (15-30).

While I do make safe handling of my firearms an absolute priority, training with live ammo in my living room for reload drills and such isn't something I want to deal with... but for things like tactical reloads, I want to have a mag with some mass remaining, and I want to cycle rounds and such. Also, as folks above have posted, they'd be fantastic for forcing malfunctions safely in drills.

I know Magpul offers them at $5 per 5. Is this the best (no) bang for the buck, or is there a better option?

ST911
06-23-09, 11:21
Ball and dummy drills.
Stoppage drills.
Function checking.
Dry-handling training/instruction.

All kinds of uses. I prefer mine to be brightly colored and instantly distinguishable from live ammunition.

chadbag
06-23-09, 11:52
btw I have the magpul ones for $4.50 a package of 5 plus cheap postal shipping

PM since not listed on eguns.com

Chad
eguns.com

CryingWolf
06-23-09, 19:54
I need to get some!!! :D Thanks for reminding me of something else I need to buy. :o

ST911
06-23-09, 21:42
I like the Magpul offering.

I'd like them very much, and actually use them, if they were available in a high-vis color common to other inerts.

M4Fundi
06-23-09, 23:22
I wish the Magpuls were Yellow or Orange...safety reasons and... I have enough problem seeing my brass on the ground:(...finding these things rolling around on the ground or in camo gear will be difficult (for me:confused:)

halo2304
06-25-09, 18:22
I just did a real quick search and came up with these guys, http://www.stactionpro.com/
A local gear shop has some in .223, .45 ACP & .357 SIG. At ~$20 for 50, I've been thinking of picking some up to try out.

I keep an A-Zoom in my grip insert. They can even be used in detail stripping the BCG. (i.e. nudging out pins.)

M4Fundi
06-25-09, 23:41
Those are the dummies I have been looking at purchasing. Anyone with any experience with them? How compare to A-Zoom?