PDA

View Full Version : Armorer Course Question

Dave L.
01-18-07, 20:03
Does anyone know who puts on courses to become certified to work on an AR,
Colt would be the best choice if becoming a "Certified Colt Armorer" is even a possibility with out working for them.
Any info would be great although I would prefer it not be a "ken's garage course to building an AR"...looking to be more legit.
Round-about prices would be cool too(feel free to PM me for obvious reasons).

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. I apologize if your name is Ken and by some chance you did have a half-assed course on building AR's...It was a coincidence.

Robb Jensen
01-18-07, 20:21
I've worked on ARs for a long time (not doing everything) but I took it just for the certification at Blackwater.

The course was 2 days and $450.00, I already knew how to do everything in the class, they did teach me a few tricks to make certain things easier. Being in the gun business certifications help with liability and credibility. I also took the SIG armorers course at Blackwater as well, 2 days and $400.00 I didn't learn anything there that I already didn't know. The Glock one was 1 day and $100.00 (hosted at the Prince William Co Police Academy) same thing I knew all of it already. I do want to take the HK ones at Blackwater eventually as well (USP, P2000, 416).

Snake RAH
01-18-07, 23:44
Defensive Edge.

nyeti
01-19-07, 01:53
I got mine from Colt by some guy named "Ken". Some half assed garage gunsmith from Chandler AZ.;) . I know they do numerous L/E classes, I am not sure about open stuff.

Dean Caputo also does an "Operators Diagnostic Course" geared towards the individual conducting his/her own maintenance through 10-8 Consulting.

LukeMacGillie
01-19-07, 05:46
Ive heard great things about the Defensive edge course. I would suggest taking it first to get the knowledge.

Colt does not normally allow non mil or LE folks take their course. I think that they do 1 or 2 classes with NRA sponsorship that has the block of instruction about illegal modifications of AR's to fire full auto taken out. They are very hard to get into from what I hear.

Even Blackwater sends their Overseas contract armorers to the Colt course as it is the only one recognized by .gov as a factory certification.

Ive been to the Colt, Knights Armament, Dillon Aero, Remmington, Sig and will be heading to Glock later this year.

Sig will allow civs to take their courses, you just have to pay extra for a background check if you dont have Creds.

Dont take a Remington field school, they expect you to bring your own guns to work on, (thats not on their website, when I took the course the Instructor came in on day one and asked "Where are your guns") and you dont do hands on with shell latches and ejectors, only watch a slide show on how to replace those items.

Pat_Rogers
01-19-07, 07:12
Nyeti- actually Dean does this on his own, not through any other organization.
He started doing this for the feds, and then i brought him in for several classes.

I've had him at a number of classes, and will have him for more in 07.
I did a SWAT article on him a little while ago- it is a top shelf course.
I'm in your A/O. Gimme' a call!

Joe Mamma
01-22-07, 07:42
Raining Brass, check your PM.

Joe Mamma

Joe Mamma
01-22-07, 11:09
Dont take a Remington field school, they expect you to bring your own guns to work on, (thats not on their website, when I took the course the Instructor came in on day one and asked "Where are your guns") and you dont do hands on with shell latches and ejectors, only watch a slide show on how to replace those items.

Thanks for this information. I thought about taking this course and now I know better.

Joe Mamma