PDA

View Full Version : Less Lethal Self Defense Devices

parishioner
06-24-09, 09:04
Mods-You can move to appropriate forum. Im not sure if this belongs here.

Im looking for something I can give to my girlfriend for protection. She sometimes has to walk on a college campus at night and I really wish she would have something with her. Are there any that you guys would recommend? Will just a regular pepper spray can on a keychain from anywhere do the job?

I saw that Kimber has the little pepper blaster that is kind of shaped like a bar of soap which looks like a good option but I can just see her trying to dig in her purse for it and by then it could be too late. They also have a device that looks like a pistol and shoots pepper spray. Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks

ToddG
06-24-09, 09:36
Enroll her in a self-defense or combatives class. Pepper spray isn't going to do her any good unless she knows how to use it properly and has the mindset to use it when appropriate.

I've been very happy with the Insight Training Center Unarmed Self-Defense (http://www.insightstraining.com/view_course.asp?courseID=154) program. It's easy to learn, easy to employ, easy to retain, and effective. Students spend a day learning basic concepts & techniques, then a day beating up someone in a FIST suit at near-full power.

Another option would be the various Model Mugging type programs around the country. While they tend to have a bit of "why you should hate all men" aspect to them, they do a good job teaching women how to deal quickly and effectively with large male aggressors. Again, a lot of the class is spent performing near-full power strikes, etc. This can be important for some women who have never actually considered hitting someone as hard as they can.

As for pepper spray, I'd recommend something small. It needs to be easy to fit into her purse, and it needs to be small enough that she won't feel self-conscious having it in her hand if she finds herself in an anxious situation.

Zhurdan
06-24-09, 14:33
I bought my wife one of these little dandies. It has a little "thumb off" safety and a plunger. Fairly unobtrusive for her to carry, and it's always in her hand when moving from the house to the car to work or wherever. Just do a google search for "Pepper Spray Baton" and you can get them from many different places.

I would also agree though, that without training, it really doesn't do much. They also sell practice cartridges for them, as well as replacement pepper spray cartridges. I bought my wife a couple practice ones and we tried them out with some help from one of my PD friends. He taught her more in 15 minutes than I could have in an hour.

http://www.smarthome.com/images/79917side1big.jpg

JediMindTricks
06-24-09, 17:05
A Kubotan style key chain can be held in a fist with 2 spikes protruding. She can strike with it in both a punching, and hammer fist style.

http://www.martialmart.com/spikkeyblac. html

A neck dagger would be nice as well, and can be used in a similar manner as the kubotan. I would also highly encourage some brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Reason being is if a man is going to physically assault a woman it's usually because he intends to rob her, or rape her. Either way, unless your lady has had a lifetimes experience in stand up martial arts, taking her to a few "cardio" kickboxing classes, or some other striking art will give her a false sense of security, and she'll commit to the deadly mistake of attempting to stand up and go toe to toe with a male whom will most likely be bigger, taller, and stronger than her. Grappling is where it's at for one on one encounters, and what better to teach her to defend herself in the position in which she'll most likely end up.... on the floor, and on her back! Think about that for a while.

Depending on her level of fitness, and how fast she can pick up this sort of thing, she have a competent "guard" in 6 months to a year if she's training 2-3 times a week. She'll be able to administer sweeps, chokes, and arm locks with her legs, as well as learn to keep people at bay from the floor.

EzGoingKev
06-24-09, 20:04
Make sure whatever you get is legal in your state.

The state of MA has issued me their top of the line Class A LTC w/ high capacity so I can carry a firearm capable of deadly force but when I wanted a collapsible baton to leave in my car I found out I could get arrested for it.

keysersoze
06-25-09, 05:01
Make sure whatever you get is legal in your state.

The state of MA has issued me their top of the line Class A LTC w/ high capacity so I can carry a firearm capable of deadly force but when I wanted a collapsible baton to leave in my car I found out I could get arrested for it.

Yeah, laws are kind of funny in that way huh? I learned the same thing, one place I went to allowed me to carry a pistol concealed, but my pocket knives were a no-no.

I agree with the suggestions here, i.e. enrolling her in a class so she can train and learn self-defense, but another thing you can invest in is a SureFire E2D LED flashlight. She can use it for self-defense and for practical everyday flashlight needs. Just don't let her buy into the whole "you can blind them temporarily thus resulting in momentary incapacitation" BS. The E2D is meant for whacking the bad guy with!

JHC
06-25-09, 10:33
I have little confidence in sprays. From what's on the market, I would look into the civilian Tasers now marketing by Taser. Largely because my sense is that Taser has worked out better for LE than even pepper spray.

I prefer females of my acquaintance to embrace the knife (lethal) but few possess "the spirit of the bayonet".

HiggsBoson
06-25-09, 12:50
I will do just that and I appreciate the advice. Spoken like a wise married man. :cool:

And be a man, take the class with her ...

ToddG
06-25-09, 13:35
I've been trying to convince my wife to take the class for years. If you two are going, let me know and maybe I can convince her it's a weekend-long double date. :cool: