PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have this problem.

PossumKop
06-29-06, 13:02
How come it's such a pain to get the bbl nut on tight and still have the slot or hole for the gas tube to line up. Is there some trick or technique that I am missing? It seems that I am putting the bbl on to loose just get the gas tube to line up. So far the few builds that I have done shoot fine but, I haven't dumped a lot of rounds down range with them.

BravoCompanyUSA
06-29-06, 13:09
The spec is a min of 30 ft/lb and then align to the next slot for the gas tube; not to exceed 80 ft/lb.
When tightening the barrel nut, take it to min torque (30 ft/lb) 3 times (and then back off) before you take it to the final position.
Don't set the torque when turning counter clockwise. If you go past the propper alignment, start over.

gcpd19
06-29-06, 13:15
The spec is a min of 30 ft/lb and then align to the next slot for the gas tube; not to exceed 80 ft/lb.
When tightening the barrel nut, take it to min torque (30 ft/lb) 3 times (and then back off) before you take it to the final position.
Don't set the torque when turning counter clockwise. If you go past the propper alignment, start over.

Not being an expert on this, but would this not stress the aluminum by tightening the barrel nut 3 times?

BravoCompanyUSA
06-29-06, 14:00
Not being an expert on this, but would this not stress the aluminum by tightening the barrel nut 3 times?

Not at all. You only take it to the min torque (30 ft/lb).
If you did not do it, you are not gonna get full contact between the threads on the barrel nut with the threads on the receiver.

CapnCrunch
06-29-06, 16:23
Paul's dead on the money.

PossumKop
06-29-06, 17:07
Thanks for the info!!!!!!

gcpd19
06-29-06, 21:51
Not at all. You only take it to the min torque (30 ft/lb).
If you did not do it, you are not gonna get full contact between the threads on the barrel nut with the threads on the receiver.

Roger That, and thanks for the info. I guess it has been one of those myths that I could never confirm or deny.

ArchAngel
06-30-06, 04:09
Great info and thanks!

Stickman
06-30-06, 10:24

It really is that simple, but there are a lot of people who still won't take that extra 30 seconds to work it three times.

K.L. Davis
06-30-06, 12:55
Good info Paul...

A lot of folks do not know this, but the way the upper receiver is designed to hold/support the barrel is more than just it being butted up into the upper.

The threaded extension that receives the barrel is designed to actually "crush" down and squeeze the barrel due to the thread offset when you tighten the barrel nut -- this is seen at times, when you are trying to take a barrel out of a receiver and have to "wiggle" it... in fact using the barrel to pry the hole in the receiver back open enough to remove the barrel.

This is just one of the things about the design the makes the platform so inherently accurate.

SuicideHz
07-12-06, 12:58
Hell Stickman, I always take 30 seconds to work it 3 times. The problem is, at that point I'm done and my fiance is pissed off!

Is this just for the initial installation of a barrel or is this to be done every time the same barrel is removed from the same receiver and reinstalled? Mine needs to be reinstalled again after painting and if this needs to be done again, I'm all for it!