PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6920 or 6940

bebs1826
06-25-09, 00:30
Hello everyone. I am a LE officer ( once I have my first born, I will be sending him/her to the moderators to be able to post in the LE forum.....j/k, I understand the privacy).

Anyways, I am set on getting a Colt. I prob. will not use it on duty as my dept. already supplies them. The only thing that I noticed different is the rails and sights on the 6940.

I do want to ad a flashlight and an optic. I am not NEW to ar's, but new to all the goodies. I have shot them enough to know that a flashlight (small one) is key and so is an optic. Here are a few questions I have.

1. If I go with the 6920, could I mount a rear flip up sight and optic? Which sight do you reccomend? Which optic? This gun will mainly be used for the range and beside my bed.

2. Are the sights on the 6940 that crappy?

3. Should I replace the current handguard with a complete rail system, or just buy those rails that attach to the current handguard?

Any and all information will be extremely helpful. I know there are other brands of ar's out there, but please respect my decesion. Thanks

CaptainDooley
06-25-09, 07:42
You can mount a rear sight - flip up or fixed. I only have experience with the Magpul MBUS, which is decent, but from what I've read here, Troy flip ups are the preferred flip ups. As for an optic, unless you think you'll need to submerge it past a few feet under water, the Aimpoint CompC3 is probably your best bet. Over 5 years of run time on one battery and it'll take whatever abuse you throw at it.

I have no experience with the 6940's sights.

As for rails, if all you are putting on there is a light, you don't need rails. There are options that mount on the FSB, rail sections for the handguards, etc to avoid that. I'm running the Magpul MOE handguards with a piece of rail and a surfire G2 in a VTAC mount and it seems to be a pretty solid piece of gear. Of course if you think you might ever want anything else on there, you can always add the rails later...

sff70
06-25-09, 12:03
Both are excellent weapons and you're making a good decision. Phoenix Distributors appears to have very good LEO pricing. I have no experience in buying from them, but there was some recent info on M4C about them.

A few things to consider.

Let's say you do decide to use it on duty. Will the 6940 fit in the rifle lock in your patrol car?

The reason I ask is that some types of locks (the ones that clamp over the middle of the handguards) will not fit rail systems or monolithic uppers. Some types have a ratcheting arm that goes over the slip ring, and some of these will accomdate a rail that does away with the slip rings, and some won't. So, you have to check this.

I ran a rail system for some time (Surefire M73), but prefer the regular handguards for less complexity, less weight, less bulk, less cost, less snagging, etc. etc. etc.

If you go with the 6940, I don't think the BUIS will hold you back at all. It sounds like you're going to be running a RDS (recommend you consider an Aimpoint Micro H1 or an Aimpoint C3 on a Larue or ADM mount), so the BUIS will be seldom used, as the Aimpoints have the reliability of an anvil, and you can leave the dot for years w/o turning it off. That's one less thing you have to take the time to do/remember to do in a stress situation.

If the battery goes dead unexpectedly, you can either erect the BUIS, or you can use the Aimpoint tube as a large rear aperture (train on this so you are confident with it), if you have a close threat.

If you go with the 6920, I'd consider the Troy flip up BUIS. They are an extremely good item. Be sure to loctite the mounting screw, though. If you prefer a fixed BUIS, Larue is excellent, or, you could chop the carry handle.

I prefer the cleaner sight picture of running a Troy flip BUIS in the down position, when using an Aimpoint.

To mount the light, I've had excellent results with a Surefire G2 mounted on a VLTOR scout mount, to a Midwest Industries MI #01 FSB Picatinny rail, and also with a Surefire X300 mounted to the same MI #01.

See the photos in post #11 in this thread:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30266

For that matter, I've had guys duct tape lights at 10 oclock (or 2 oclock, for a lefty shooter) to the handguards as an expedient measure.

Consider obtaining a tactical sling for the rifle, such as the Vickers, Viking Tactics, or Magpul.

Lastly, if possible, set your HD rifle up the same as your duty rifle. You want your flashlight, sling, optic, etc. to all be the same so you don't fumble anything. Even subtle changes make a difference. I speak from experience.

Hope that helped, and Stay Safe!

SF

dcmdon
06-25-09, 16:39
Bebs,

I have a LMT MRP with the integral rail as well as a standard LMP upper with plastic grips.

I have to say that over time, I've grown to prefer the gun with the plastic handguards. Lighter, cheaper, more comfortable and cooler when shooting for extended periods.

I'm sad to say that I fell for the rail fad. The MRP is great, don't get me wrong, but for the $500 price difference, I'll take a plastic handguard AR any day.

Also, for attaching a light, you don't need something rock solid. I've added the Magpul MOE handguards which provides some slots for rails if I ever decide to mount a light. I also like the way they feel better.

I'm also a fan of fixed stocks, but then again, I don't use it as a hd gun.

Don

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_QD4-yihotRQ/Sixq4OaXOQI/AAAAAAAAAbk/PJfw8LaKHRE/s1440/IMG_3835.JPG

kwelz
06-25-09, 20:14
I went with the 6940 since the additional wight was almost non existent.

I am not a fan of the Matech BUIS so I pulled mine off and replaced it first with an ARMS #40 and then with a Troy. There are Pros and Cons to having the front flip up sight. Honestly I would have been just as happy with a Fixed FSB, however the Flip up that is included seems very durable.

My main complaint is that the rail is a bit wider than I like. Once you add Rail covers it is pretty beefy. However if you use a FVG it won't matter much.

The final issue some people have is the special wrench needed to remove the barrel. I spoke with colt about this and they indicated that these wrenches are available through distributors but I haven't called for Pricing yet.

phirehawk
06-25-09, 22:32
I measured the weight at work, and it came out to be about a half pound. The thing I didn't like about the 40 (and one reason I went with the 20) was that the FSB (Front Sight Base) of an AR gets HOT! I can't imagine trying to flip up that front sight after some rounds downrange without some Nomex gloves. Granted, the only time I thought this would be a problem is if an optic crapped out half way through a carbine course (or I had an EOTech set for a 4 hr shut down and forgot to turn it back on). Just food for thought. Either is a great rifle.

kwelz
06-26-09, 01:31
I didn't have any problem flipping up the front site after firing about 400 rounds through the gun.

Pappabear
06-27-09, 06:17
dcmdon you wrote "I've added the Magpul MOE handguards which provides some slots for rails if I ever decide to mount a light. I also like the way they feel better. "

Im a fking dumbshit and do now know how to do the Quote, box. Any help there? Anyway, I have the basic LMT with sopmod stock- Defender, and on another gun a 14.5 Noveske upper and I know what you mean, I like the KISS approach. Can you add the Magpul MOA without taking the gun apart? Thought this was my thread I started at first, sorry for the cornfusion, too late , need some sleep.

Jaeger1300
06-27-09, 19:16
I just recieved my LE 6940 from Pheonix Distribuitors. This was a very easy transaction (LE purchase on letter head). I would not hesitate to do business w/ them in the future.