PDA

View Full Version : EOTech Question

thebutcher
01-19-07, 17:19
Hello,
I just bought an EOtech 553 and when I mount it to the flat top receiver it is slightly angled to the right. I'm using just the EOtech's mounting system. Is this normal or do I need to order a LaRue EOtech QD mount? Thanks for the help

KevinB
01-19-07, 17:32
Without seeing it -- I would suggest your ARMS levers are the problem.

Can you post a pic?

With the 553 you cant really use the Larue mount (shame)

cheaptrick
01-20-07, 03:30
I too have the 553 and it angles slightly.

You have to really look hard to see the "tilt".

thebutcher
01-20-07, 10:58
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get picture of it later tonight. It's very slight but noticeable. It really won't effect the accuracy but I just wanted to make sure the arms mount wasn't broken or something. Thanks again

C4IGrant
01-20-07, 16:14
Generally speaking it can be one of two thing. The EOTech mount or your receiver. It is VERY normal to get an upper receive that is canted one way or another.

C4

Army Chief
01-22-07, 15:04
It is VERY normal to get an upper receive that is canted one way or another.

Don't mean to call this into question, per se, but it runs contrary to my experience -- at least, with military contract rifles. Are you referring to ARs in general, or perhaps to the fact that this may be a problem more likely associated with certain manufacturers/vendors/product lines?

Naturally, how significant of a problem this might be is directly related to the severity of the "cant." Even so, I'm having difficult accepting that this is normal -- much less very normal -- given modern production methods.

Clearly, I am missing something. Can you help me understand these remarks?

Thanks.

Chief

Dport
01-22-07, 15:16
Army Chief,
How closely have you examined these uppers?

Wes Grant had a thread, or two, on TOS detailing his searches for the perfect uppers. There are all sorts of minor imperfections, from being canted side to side, front to rear, or having the threads for the barrel not being true. It is almost imperceptible to the naked eye, yet they are there.

I believe this is one of the reasons people like Mark LaRue don't recommend mounting optics across the receiver/handguards, and the reason monolithic systems came about.

SinnFéinM1911
01-22-07, 15:18
Chief

PM sent !

B

Army Chief
01-23-07, 11:20
How closely have you examined these uppers?

Fair question.

I’m going to have to defer to Wes’ greater expertise on the matter, because my own evidence is largely anecdotal by comparison. I've no problem admitting that up front. That said, I am a detail-oriented person where my shooting iron is concerned, and I do tend to pay attention to minor irregularities.

Off-center bores or out-of-spec rails would definitely catch my attention, so it's easy to presume that a canted upper would be a no-brainer, too. I concede that this may not actually be the case, but I've yet to see a (more or less) military standard SOPMOD setup that suffered from the kind of problems reported in this thread -- at least, none that could not be traced back to the mount, rather than to the weapon.

All of this takes me back to one of my original questions, I suppose: are we talking about an AR-inherent thing, or something more commonly associated with particular manufacturers? I would be interested to know if this is a production issue, a QC issue, or perhaps both.

Chief

fish70
09-16-07, 19:18
Hello,
I just bought an EOtech 553 and when I mount it to the flat top receiver it is slightly angled to the right. I'm using just the EOtech's mounting system. Is this normal or do I need to order a LaRue EOtech QD mount? Thanks for the help

I just bought a used 511 Rev F model to put on my RRA Entry Tactical and it is canted to the left when mounted. If you look at the mounting rails? that mate up with flattop you can see that the short (right hand) rail that the thumbscrew passes through is set higher than the left hand rail that is full length. There is NO way the sight will not be canted the way the mount is designed. I have no idea why it is made this way. Very annoying.

fish70
09-17-07, 05:58
How far forward is the EoTech mounted? Overhanging the handguard railsystem? Is your rail system causing the tilt?

I've seen several, from the factory, BM rifles with this problem.

I am pretty sure that it is the Eotech that is causing the problem. My BUIS is mounted on the same rail and it isn't canted. As I described above, the smaller right hand rail or clamp on the 511 is set higher than the one on the left.

C4IGrant
09-17-07, 10:21
I am pretty sure that it is the Eotech that is causing the problem. My BUIS is mounted on the same rail and it isn't canted. As I described above, the smaller right hand rail or clamp on the 511 is set higher than the one on the left.

It is very possible that your receiver is canted. I would try the EOTech on another weapon.

C4

ShipWreck
09-18-07, 19:23
I saw a thread late last year on Ar15.com - apparently, there are some EOtechs out there with a slight tilt.

SuicideHz
09-18-07, 21:07
It will only affect your zero if you remove it after zeroing, right guys?

I mean, even if it's mounted sideways, once zeroed, it's zeroed.

I know this statement doesn't solve the problem though...