PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MBUS WTH?

UGASeven
06-25-09, 13:18
I just got my front and rear MBUS sights in the mail, and I really like the rear, but the front seems not very well thought out. The sight post is just threaded in to the sight and there is a little hole for you drive a pin in to lock the post in place. How are you supposed to adjust this in the field, carry around a pair of needle nose in case you need to adjust your sight? I expected more from Magpul.:confused:

CC556
06-25-09, 13:21
They're backup sights. The idea being you zero them where you want, and then leave them alone. Do you really need to be able to adjust the elevation on your backup sights in the field?

UGASeven
06-25-09, 13:30
They're backup sights. The idea being you zero them where you want, and then leave them alone. Do you really need to be able to adjust the elevation on your backup sights in the field?

I see your point; but to answer your question, yea, wouldn’t you?

CC556
06-25-09, 13:34
If given the choice between a backup sight that was adjustable easily or one that needed a tool to adjust, I'd pick the one that's adjusted easily. That said, I can't really think of a situation in the field where I'd be using the backup sights and want to change the elevation that I've already set.

theJanitor
06-25-09, 13:37
yea, wouldn’t you?

not really. and the better your primary optic, the less important this becomes

spamsammich
06-25-09, 14:04
There have been plenty of reviews and pictures about these sights yet you expected more out of them? For the pair, they cost less than 1 Troy front sight! A spring/detent system to lock that FSP would only drive the cost up. The post on mine is REALLY tight, I doubt I'll be able to spin it easily in the field.

ST911
06-25-09, 14:27
I don't have the pin in my MBUS front sight. It hasn't moved. I'm not at all nice to my MBUS set. Not only are they bouncing around the trunk, the jeep, the four wheeler, etc, a group of rookies, toddlers, and bored neanderthals haven't broken them yet either.

I expect Magpul to produce a high quality product that performs the function intended, and that is priced fairly. They have done so.

.45fmjoe
06-25-09, 14:41

No. Backup iron sights, set them and forget them.

decodeddiesel
06-25-09, 14:53

Agreed.

Boomer10
06-25-09, 15:13
I don't have the instructions in front of me, but I'm fairly certain that I remember reading in them that the pin was optional. If you wish you can leave it out so you can adjust it in the field.

halo2304
06-25-09, 18:09
I keep a sight tool in my range bag for adjusting the front sight. I also keep a mini Leatherman close by to adjust the rear sight. My complaint would be that the knob on the rear sight is a little too slick and hard to turn.

kyrin88
06-25-09, 18:24
I just bought one of the Magpul back up sights, and Installed it on my BCM M4 upper. I drop my rifle very often( not intentionally of course), and recently dropped it on the MBUS a couple times. I dusted it off and had no change in zero. I think that it is a tuff inexpensive sight for poor people like me, and I am extremely happy with it.:p

UGASeven
06-25-09, 23:14
sounds like I may be wrong on my inital impression...

rob_s
06-26-09, 05:14
sounds like I may be wrong on my inital impression...

Takes a big man to admit that, and you sure don't see it often on the interweb.

I have a set of the front and rear sights. I admit that when I first saw the front I thought similar to the way you did about the front sight. I haven't adjusted mine yet, but one I do I'll pin it in place. My concern with the front sight is more a function of the low height of the ears now.

BUIS tend to be a 'set it and forget it" kind of prospect, outside of checking them to be sure they're still adjusted correctly from time to time. Frankly I bet most people don't even do that much, let alone actually adjust them in the field.

Chew
09-27-09, 22:13
New to AR's. Rookie question: On adjusting the front sight on a Magpul MBUS....there is an arrow that says "Up". Looks like a clockwise motion. Is that moving the sight post up (which moves the round down on paper) or is it moving the bullet up and the sight post down? I was shooting way high today and moved the sight post in the "up" direction. Didn't seem to move my round down any.

sdcromer
09-27-09, 23:37
Moving the strike of the round up by screwing the front sight post down.

Soybomb
09-28-09, 19:44
I've only used the rear magpul site and there are backup sites I like more, such as the troy. However I bought an aimpoint so I wouldn't have to use my backup sights. Are they my favorite? No. Will they function as backup sites? Yes. You'll have to decide where the line lies for you but for me the cost/performance ratio was right for what use I expect to get from them.

RD62
09-28-09, 20:27
I don't use a MBUS front sight, and I don't really see a need to do the following, but if it is important to you to be adjustable in the field; why not buy a standard front sight post detent and spring, drill the hole out larger, and assemble?

I haven't tried it, and maybe I am looking at it too simply, but it seems feasible.

-RD62

4thPointOfContact
09-28-09, 22:44

No, they're back-up sights, I'm only going to be using them till the primary is .... well,.... back up. That implies a short time. Every time I've seen front sights adjusted, it was during sighting-in. Once you're in the field you use the elevation adjustment on the rear sight or use holdovers.

militarymoron
09-28-09, 23:47
I don't use a MBUS front sight, and I don't really see a need to do the following, but if it is important to you to be adjustable in the field; why not buy a standard front sight post detent and spring, drill the hole out larger, and assemble?

I haven't tried it, and maybe I am looking at it too simply, but it seems feasible.

-RD62

that wouldn't work on the MBUS - the front sight sits too high above the body to install a spring and detent. look at the pics in my writeup and it'll be self-explanatory:
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.optics2.html#mbus

FWIW, the i used the standard sight adjustment tool to adjust my MBUS, and it was so stiff that i didn't feel the need to pin it.

BLACK LION
09-29-09, 13:50
There have been plenty of reviews and pictures about these sights yet you expected more out of them? For the pair, they cost less than 1 Troy front sight! A spring/detent system to lock that FSP would only drive the cost up. The post on mine is REALLY tight, I doubt I'll be able to spin it easily in the field.

I agree... My front sight post is rather hard to move so I doubt that once its zeroed it will need to be fiddled with again.

I like the fact that only the front sight is used for elevation and the rear for windage... It actually cuts out an extra step.

I can personally think of more to like about these than not...

eternal24k
09-29-09, 14:05
mine 2 was stiff to the point of me not needing the pin.

AlonewCompany
12-06-09, 19:23
can someone PLEASE measure how high the front and back sights are off the rail when they are flat (not deployed). I need to know if i can even fit them on my rifle without obstructing my scope... THANKS!!!

Boomer10
12-06-09, 19:52
can someone PLEASE measure how high the front and back sights are off the rail when they are flat (not deployed). I need to know if i can even fit them on my rifle without obstructing my scope... THANKS!!!

I understand you're new to the board and this is your first post, but you need to learn to wait longer than 11 minutes after posting in a 2 month old thread before sending PMs to people in that thread.

I would measure the height of the MBUS sights for you, but I'm currently TDY and don't have access to my rifles.

CaptainDooley
12-06-09, 20:29
I'm too lazy to find a tape measure on a Sunday evening... but according to my iPhone ruler app, it's around .75"

ForTehNguyen
12-06-09, 20:31
wouldnt want it to move easily because its just that, it will move and lose zero easily

Mega
12-06-09, 20:44
What?!?! These are backup sights? :eek:

http://img101.photolava.com/2009/12/05/cqbr-003-4npqts29.jpg

kjd2121
12-07-09, 12:36

They work with a Schmidt & Bender 1.5 - 6x42

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/kjd2121/_D203424.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/kjd2121/_D203418.jpg

AlonewCompany
12-07-09, 15:15
so can anyone measure it for me?

ForTehNguyen
12-07-09, 15:19
from Brownells:

SPECS: Reinforced, injection-molded polymer, Black, Dark Earth, O.D. Green, or Foliage Green. Dimensions apply to front and rear sights; heights measured from top of rail to top of sight. 1.625” (4.1cm) long when deployed, 2.625” (6.7cm) long when folded, 1.25” (3.2cm) wide, .630” (1.6cm) high when folded, 1.5” (3.8cm) high extended. Large aperture, .185” diameter. Small aperture, .70” diameter.

AlonewCompany
12-07-09, 15:21
Thanks!!! just what i needed. I love these sights but just want to make sure they will work with my scope

Captains1911
12-07-09, 21:30
New to AR's. Rookie question: On adjusting the front sight on a Magpul MBUS....there is an arrow that says "Up". Looks like a clockwise motion. Is that moving the sight post up (which moves the round down on paper) or is it moving the bullet up and the sight post down? I was shooting way high today and moved the sight post in the "up" direction. Didn't seem to move my round down any.

That will move the POI (point of impact) up, by moving the sight post down.

USMC88-93
12-07-09, 22:01
Never mind.....

ramrod
12-08-09, 21:06
Spend a little more, an buy some better quality sights!

AlonewCompany
12-08-09, 21:20
there just going to be backup sights incase my scope ever breaks in the field. Plus i need the sights to fold down so they dont obstruct my view through my scope. AND im kinda broke and cant justify spending around $400 on sights

cgcorrea
01-10-10, 12:14
How far into the hole would one drive the the roll pin to keep the the post in place? There doesn't seem to be any easy way to remove it after it's in. I just bought a set of these the other day and I'm debating on whether or not i'm gonna use the roll pin detent or not.

ForTehNguyen
01-10-10, 14:09
it doesnt move in the threads that easily anyways, I dont have the pins in mine