PDA

View Full Version : Band Of Brothers Hero, Darrell 'Shifty' Powers Dies

JSandi
06-25-09, 18:45
Band Of Brothers Hero, Darrell 'Shifty' Powers Dies
Tricities.com ^ | 6/20/09 | Roger Brown
Posted on June 25, 2009 4:01:18 PM

“The world depended on them. They depended on each other.”

That was the tagline for “Band of Brothers” – an award-winning 2001 HBO mini-series drama on the World War II experiences of Easy Company, a U.S. Army unit that fought bravely and fiercely across Europe.

But for Bristol’s Margo Johnson – daughter of Darrell “Shifty” Powers, one of the soldiers depicted in “Band of Brothers” – two more lines could be added to describe her heroic father: “The world truly admired Darrell Powers. I absolutely adored him.”

“I loved everything about my daddy,” Johnson said. “He never bragged about what he did in the war. And for a lot of years, he never even talked much about what he did – unless someone asked him about it.

“But he truly was a hero to me,” Johnson said. “Just like he’d been to the people who know him as a soldier in a [mini-series].

http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/band_of_brothers_hero_darrell_swifty_powers_dies/25556/

http://media.tricities.com/tricities/img-story/images/uploads/ShiftyPowers.jpg

JSandi
06-25-09, 18:47
I have the DVD box set, if you don't own it or you haven't seen Band Of Brothers may I suggest you get it and watch it/

Gutshot John
06-25-09, 19:02
A real American like this dies, but people are flipping out over the gloved wonder. :rolleyes:

Kind of makes me want to puke.

Requiescat in Pacem Shifty.

rat31465
06-25-09, 19:06
Everytime one of our WWII Soldiers dies the world becomes a little less colorful in my view.
I had an Uncle who made the landing in Normandy and he was a colorful Old Guy.
My sympathy goes out to his family.

d90king
06-25-09, 19:31
R.I.P. A true American hero!

BiggLee71
06-25-09, 19:33
R.I.P and Godspeed warrior.

Longhorn
06-25-09, 19:34
Everytime one of our WWII Soldiers dies the world becomes a little less colorful in my view.
I had an Uncle who made the landing in Normandy and he was a colorful Old Guy.
My sympathy goes out to his family.

I hear ya...

I lost my grandfather last year. I used to love hearing all his stories, especially all the knowledge he still retained (before alzheimers) on the B-17.

Rest in Peace Mr Powers...

parishioner
06-25-09, 19:41
My girlfriend's grandfather has a brick at the World War II museum in New Orleans. When we found it we also noticed a particular brick 2 bricks over. It was Shifty's.

R.I.P. Shifty. We wont forget you.

Henchman
06-25-09, 20:31
Rest in peace Shifty.

graffex
06-25-09, 23:59
America Hero RIP

moonshot
06-26-09, 00:25
A real American like this dies, but people are flipping out over the gloved wonder.

Kind of makes me want to puke.

You got that right.

Blake
06-26-09, 00:52
I'm not much of a crier, never have been. However, if you can listen to the dialogue that these gentlemen share in the before and after interviews of "Band of Brother" and not get a little lump in your throat....You are a hard SOB. That shit is moving. They truly are "The Best Generation". My Grandpa was one of them.

parishioner
06-26-09, 00:56
They truly are "The Best Generation". My Grandpa was one of them.

I sometimes find myself wishing I was part of that generation. You know, giving a damn about the important things and not this twitter and jonas brother bullshit.

snipertn
06-26-09, 07:24
The sad thing is we are loosing these heros from the best generation, at a rate of over a thousand a day. Friends there aren't too many of thes men and women left. My father was an enlisted pilot during WWII during his career in the Navy.

Rest in peace Shifty, as well as all the other veterans that are answering the final muster.

decodeddiesel
06-26-09, 10:23
May your final "Rendezvous With Destiny" bring you peace.

Airborne, God Speed.

faithmyeyes
06-26-09, 10:47
I sometimes find myself wishing I was part of that generation. You know, giving a damn about the important things and not this twitter and jonas brother bullshit.

We can be thankful for their example and try to uphold and pass along their convictions... it's what they'd have wanted anyway.

decodeddiesel
06-26-09, 11:12

One big reason for me joining the Army and serving with the 101st Airborne in combat.

Lumpy196
06-26-09, 15:50
God bless him.

rat31465
06-26-09, 16:19
I'm not much of a crier, never have been. However, if you can listen to the dialogue that these gentlemen share in the before and after interviews of "Band of Brother" and not get a little lump in your throat....You are a hard SOB. That shit is moving. They truly are "The Best Generation". My Grandpa was one of them.

I always liked the term Boot Strap Generation....They had a tough job to do so they pulled themselves up by their boot straps and got the job done.
Yeah I'll admit to getting a bit of a lump in my throat as well.

Hersh
06-26-09, 16:43
RIP Shifty.

Buck
06-26-09, 17:28
RIP Shifty....

I just went with Buck Compton to see the Nationals and Red Socks play in DC... We really had a great time, but I'm not sure he will ever travel to the east coast again...

B

Honu
06-26-09, 18:19
so sad to hear :(

band of brothers is my fav series for sure and have in both BR and DVD :)

love to hear the guys talk in it on the BR version and hear their real stories etc...