PDA

View Full Version : Compare a Noveske to a Larue

RRMan03
06-25-09, 19:08
If you are comparing these two to each other does anyone come out ahead? If so why? I know they are both outstanding uppers. Is LMT and Sabre even in their class?

CounTeR
06-25-09, 19:20
They're both great.

mpardun
06-25-09, 19:43
IMHO...

Noveske makes THE best uppers bar none (the barrel gives them the slight edge over LaRue Stealth products: Go with the stainless for ultimate accuracy and N4 for hell and back durability and THE most accurate chrome lined barrel available). These are mil-spec and then some!

LaRue makes a damn fine product, not wild about non-M4 ramped uppers (A3 spec) used on their complete upper builds...some say it does not matter, I say why wouldn't you go for M4 ramps for reliability sake. NOTE: LaRue Billet uppers ARE available from G&R and MSTN with M4 feed ramps, for 3rd party builds using Noveske barrels.

BOTH Noveske and LaRue are in a class of their own in terms of complete/fully assembled uppers.

LMT, Sabre, Daniel Defense, Colt, Charles Daly all make "top-shelf" Mil Spec products. I would be (and have) own many of these makes.

Then there are the rest: Bushy, DPMS, Stag, S&W, etc. (some better than others, but not Top Shelf).

Currently I own:

Noveske N4 Recce Switchblock LowPro (complete rifle, w/ Timney 3 lb skel. trigger, SF MB556, wearing a Swaro Z6i...needs a UBR)
Spikes SBR Lower, CTR, Geissele DMR trigger group:
-SBR upper #1: MSTN built 10.5 Noveske N4 SwitchBlock, LaRue Billet Upper w/M4 ramps, 7.0 rail, SF FG556 wearing a LaRue Mounted Aimpoint T-1
-SBR upper #2: Spikes SBR Lower w/ 10.5" RRA .458 SOCOM upper
LMT M4 (complete rifle: KISS w/MagPul MOE handguard and stock, SF FH556)
BCM Lower w/ TacSol .22LR M4 upper on order

...and a nice little SF FA556k suppressor, that works nicely with all but the .458 beast.

I have shot a LaRue Stealth and thought it was awesome...My Noveske Recce edges it out in my opinion (close, I am not a good enough shot!). VOTE with your $$, I do.

JSGlock34
06-27-09, 15:35
What is unfortunate is that these top brands no longer collaborate. In the past you'd be able to get an upper with a Noveske barrel, LaRue Stealth Upper and LaRue handguards. It's too bad because these are top of the line products, and Noveske's barrel and LaRue's components compliment each other so nicely. I own a factory assembled Noveske Recon, and the Noveske branded SWS rail on it, while well made and engineered, lives in fear as it is significantly heavier than my LaRue rails and I'm continually contemplating swapping it out.

It is still possible to get the best of both worlds, but you have to build it yourself or get the right builder (MSTN, G&R) to do it for you. Molon has posted some excellent builds that he's assembled using LaRue uppers and handguards with Noveske barrels. From what I recall, they are exceptionally accurate.

SkiDevil
06-27-09, 16:02
It's too bad because these are top of the line products, and Noveske's barrel and LaRue's components compliment each other so nicely. I own a factory assembled Noveske Recon, and the Noveske branded SWS rail on it, while well made and engineered, lives in fear as it is significantly heavier than my LaRue rails and I'm continually contemplating swapping it out.

It is still possible to get the best of both worlds, but you have to build it yourself or get the right builder (MSTN, G&R) to do it for you. Molon has posted some excellent builds that he's assembled using LaRue uppers and handguards with Noveske barrels. From what I recall, they are exceptionally accurate.

I agree. If you want the best of both worlds, then just buy the La Rue Stealth receiver and install the Noveske barrel. I am planning to build an 18" SPR with a La Rue Stealth Upper and a SS Noveske barrel. I am sure that the Lothar-Walther barrels used by La Rue are of excellent quality. But the more I shoot Noveske rifles, I am quite convinced that there are'nt many brands that can compete for quality and durability.

-I own two Noveskes and I am working on my third. :D

SkiDevil

STJ
06-27-09, 16:53
Not a big fan if 416R due to the sulphur content.

That's why LaRue went with LW50,

410 SS is good to go also, thats was BCM and Sabre uses for there stainless barrels

416R is used because it is easier to machine an accurate barrel, but better barrel/throat life can suffer...

BTW I have never seen a Noveske shoot better than a LaRue...and vis versa