PDA

View Full Version : St Paul Area Alert - Stolen AR Pistol

LMarshall73
06-26-09, 08:07
Yesterday, my rental car was broken into while parked on Suburban Ave (adjacent to 94 and White Bear Ave). The GPS I'm not so concerned about, but they did get my trunk gun - an AR Pistol:

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/1208/dsc01901olw.jpg

and some other support gear. SN: CM179363

A police report has already been filed and (I'm told) they will be checking with local pawn brokers, etc.

My car was parked in a business parking lot and the break in happened during business hours. I should be getting the feed from our security server soon and will post whatever screen caps I can get. If any local folks could keep their eyes, open I would appreciate it.

larry0071
06-26-09, 08:17
I am sorry for your loss, that looked like a very nice blaster. Honestly, I would have wanted to first cry... and then want to F'ing kill the ass-hat that stole my stuff.

I hope you somehow get it back, but I have doubts.

When they found that bad boy, they went to the nearest gang-banger convention and sold that thing into the underground gun trade. The next time you see that will be at the scene of a crime. Again, I pray that you get it back.... I would be so upset.

LMarshall73
06-26-09, 08:30
Oh, believe me, I went to sleep weighing the prospect of prison against the satisfaction of revenge. In the end, it's just stuff, BUT it's MY stuff that I worked hard to pay for. I think the least I could do is ensure that the thieving bastard would be unable to polute the rest of the world with any offspring.

woodandsteel
06-26-09, 11:42
I doubt you'll find that showing up in a pawn shop. Maybe it will show up on the black market.

Hopefully, the person who stole it, or more likely the guy who bought it, will show it off to one too many people. Your best bet is that someone then talks to the police and gets that person in trouble.

Not to rub salt in your wound, but that is why I don't subcribe to the trunk gun idea. I would carry a rifle, if I could find an economical way to lock it up and still be able to deploy it quickly.

Sorry about the pistol. It looked like you had a lot invested in it.

bkb0000
06-26-09, 12:02
i'd say your odds of getting it back are pretty good, actually. the chances of that thing going unnoticed are pretty low.. some banger will get pulled over and/or arrested and it'll get recovered. my mother has had two guns stolen from her, both were recovered from bangers through the normal course of bangerism... getting arrested with it on 'em.

hopefully it doesn't get used to take out the cop that would otherwise get it back for you.

ST911
06-26-09, 12:07
Insurance?

LMarshall73
06-26-09, 12:12
Insurance?

None of the insurance I have covers it. I am definitely looking for additional insurance now.

randolph
06-26-09, 14:54
homeowners insurance should cover that.

Aristogeiton
06-26-09, 17:30
I'm local and will keep an eye out for it. I never go to pawn shops, but it can't hurt to keep my eyes open.

I am always worried about having my guns stolen. It freaks me out to hear story like this.

bigshooter
06-27-09, 13:23
That really sucks.

That area is on the shittier side of things. For the most part the whole 94 corridor from N. MPLS to east of STP is rather unsavory.

Will keep my eyes peeled.

bkb0000
06-27-09, 13:52
you'd think pawn shops would be required to call in serial numbers of hawked guns. since probably 70% of everything coming into pawn shops is stolen, you'd think someone would get a clue.

i assume the agency who does the background check for firearms sales also runs the gun through NCIS at the same time as the background check...?

Abraxas
06-27-09, 13:56
homeowners insurance should cover that.

Typically unless you have a special rider, they will only give you a couple hundred dollars for it regardless of the replacement cost.

Macx
06-27-09, 15:32
PM sent, I am local. Ears are open.

randolph
06-27-09, 17:56
Typically unless you have a special rider, they will only give you a couple hundred dollars for it regardless of the replacement cost.

state farm gave me full replacement for a P7 M13 about ten years ago. no special rider involved.

YMMV, obviously. hopefully Mr. OP will recover his tool...

Aray
06-27-09, 20:37
My homeowners covers $2k for guns. That may seem low to some;), get a rider, or NRA ins.

Macx
06-28-09, 08:42
Gun Rights Gathering today. I mention it because this theft happened hereabouts,

What : Fourth Occasional “Gun Rights Gathering” Potluck BBQ
When: Sun Jun 28 11am – Sun Jun 28 3pm
Where: Lake Harriet picnic area, near the Bandshell
Fourth Occasional “Gun Rights Gathering” Potluck BBQ
Sunday June 28th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Lake Harriet picnic area, near the Bandshell
A casual & friendly celebration of summer, outdoor cooking, and the human right of self·defense. An ‘open carry optional’ event, in accordance with and in celebration of the Minnesota Personal Protection Act.
W 42nd St & W Lake Harriet Pkwy
Minneapolis, MN 55410
•Free street parking around the lake and in nearby neighborhoods
•Pay station in main lot, near concessions

It'd be a good place to get the word out. Lots of folks that spend lots of range time from all over the state will be at this thing.

kmrtnsn
06-28-09, 13:08
Isn't that technically a SBR as depicted in the photo? It has a forward grip/stock.

larry0071
06-28-09, 13:17
No. That is typical of a AR style pistol that you can build or buy new on the shelf. My local dealer has a few on display that I took a couple pictures of:
This is the brand new 2009 Bushmaster:
http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/100_1372.jpg

bkb0000
06-28-09, 13:35
Isn't that technically a SBR as depicted in the photo? It has a forward grip/stock.

this weapon has neither forward grip nor stock- are you high?

kmrtnsn
06-28-09, 16:21
No, I am not high but you sir, .....oh, never mind. As I recall, at one time pistols could not have a shrouded barrel, whether one calls that a grip surface or a stock, if it could not be a surface that could be held. Such a surface was one of the prohibited items on the BATF definition as to what constituted a rifle which is why AR pistols had exposed barrels and gas tubes the last time I looked at one, making them undesirable burn hazards in that configuration. Never been much interested in AR pistols since that first exposure due to the lack of semi-auto controllability/aim ability that not being able to hold it with two hands left one with. If they are being sold such now, it would appear then that there has been a change which does give them a bit more utility.

SWATcop556
06-28-09, 20:05
No, I am not high but you sir, .....oh, never mind. As I recall, at one time pistols could not have a shrouded barrel, whether one calls that a grip surface or a stock, if it could not be a surface that could be held. Such a surface was one of the prohibited items on the BATF definition as to what constituted a rifle which is why AR pistols had exposed barrels and gas tubes the last time I looked at one, making them undesirable burn hazards in that configuration. Never been much interested in AR pistols since that first exposure due to the lack of semi-auto controllability/aim ability that not being able to hold it with two hands left one with. If they are being sold such now, it would appear then that there has been a change which does give them a bit more utility.

In the SBR vs Pistol world there is a big difference between handguards and a VG.

While the pictured pistol does have handguards, they are legal. A VG, which is not pictured, would make it an illegal SBR.

You use two hands to shoot a handgun right.......so no reason you can't use two hands to shoot an AR pistol, via one hand on the handguard and the other on the grip or both hands on the grip (not recommended).

whitecoyote
06-29-09, 05:52
double post

whitecoyote
06-29-09, 05:55
double post

whitecoyote
06-29-09, 05:55
Yesterday, my rental car was broken into while parked on Suburban Ave (adjacent to 94 and White Bear Ave). The GPS I'm not so concerned about, but they did get my trunk gun - an AR Pistol:
My car was parked in a business parking lot and the break in happened during business hours. I should be getting the feed from our security server soon and will post whatever screen caps I can get. If any local folks could keep their eyes, open I would appreciate it.
LMarshall,
I'm curious. How many other vehicles were broken into (same location, and time)? Why was your vehicle singled out? I'd be very suspicious, someone new you had that AR pistol in the trunk, or someone saw you put it there. If your vehicle was singled out, I would bet it was someone who knows you. :( Just a thought, and something to think about.
Hopefully the dirt bag who took it will be caught soon.

Abraxas
06-29-09, 06:39
LMarshall,
I'm curious. How many other vehicles were broken into (same location, and time)? Why was your vehicle singled out? I'd be very suspicious, someone new you had that AR pistol in the trunk, or someone saw you put it there. If your vehicle was singled out, I would bet it was someone who knows you. :( Just a thought, and something to think about.

I don't know how accurate the number is, but I read that 60% of all breakins are by somebody you know. Not necessarily a friend but someone who knows you well enough to know what you have

ST911
06-29-09, 14:25
I don't know how accurate the number is, but I read that 60% of all breakins are by somebody you know. Not necessarily a friend but someone who knows you well enough to know what you have

The property crime investigators association has published such data. It isn't as much about them knowing you, as it is having selected you based on certain variables and/or having knowledge of you. As always, very little crime is truly random.

That area has had quite a demographic shift over the years. There was a nice mall out that way we used to go to...name escapes me...but last year was full of turds and bangers.

Safetyhit
06-29-09, 18:16

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/1208/dsc01901olw.jpg

I feel your pain, brother. What a beauty. Hurts just to imagine it.

Does sound like it is possible that someone knew it was in there.

LMarshall73
07-01-09, 09:32
LMarshall,

No one knew I had it with me except for me. The stalk for my GPS was in the console tray, so I figure that was what they were after. The rest was just a bonus for them. They did go through an employee's saddlebags and took a pair of gloves. Our IT guys are dragging their feet since this location uses and older security camera server and they aren't sure how to download the video. We have a potential suspect, but without the video, we can't readily identify the person.

LMarshall73
07-01-09, 09:34
BTW - it appears to have been between 1pm and 3pm in a crowded parking lot.

nacho
07-01-09, 12:20
i'll keep my eyes open as well, best of luck:(

whitecoyote
07-04-09, 18:31
BTW - it appears to have been between 1pm and 3pm in a crowded parking lot.
Any updates? :confused:

LMarshall73
07-09-09, 20:09
Sorry I haven't posted any updates. I've been bouncing through 3 states in the last 7 days. I've gotten no additional info from the PD and the only person in our IT department that is familiar with pulling video from the camera server quit a few weeks ago. As of right now, I'm writing it off as a loss and chalking the whole deal up as a learning experience.

Heavy Metal
07-09-09, 20:30
This is why my unattended truck gun is an M-44 Mosin-Nagant and a beat-up one at that.

bkb0000
07-09-09, 20:31
the server most likely automatically records over anything older than 45 days... just keep that in mind