PDA

View Full Version : Marking Mags

Hayduke
06-26-09, 17:06
anything special here over a simple perm marker? i want to mark the magazines i'll be using on a reg basis for classes and such to help track down any failure issues that may occur. i'm using black PMAGS and don't really care about marking them.
i'll be running well more than 5K rounds a year between multiple rifles and figured this may be a good idea...

RD62
06-26-09, 17:10
I use a red paint pen, but whatever floats your boat...

-RD62

Titleist
06-26-09, 17:12
Testors enamel paint markers. 5 bucks, will last a disgustingly long time, and you can find them at any hobby store.

Works great, and Hoppes no.9 will wipe the stuff off if you ever need to re-mark or whatever.

I usually use RED, but they offer a dozen or so shades.

The pen will also serve you well for marking bolts or screws on your rifle to instantly see if something is starting to back out.

RogerinTPA
06-26-09, 18:26
I've tried the paint pens (DecoColor glossy oil based) from a hobby shop (Micheal's). They don't last as long if you mark in a place that your hands constantly touch. I'll have to try the enamel paint. Other than that, a sharpie's pen ink is pretty durable on Mags. Reapply when needed.

lindertw
06-26-09, 18:59
I had a local sign shop make an oilboard stencil, and I grab whatever paint I have on hand:

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac306/lindertw/stencil-1.jpg

Col_Crocs
06-26-09, 19:12
I had a local sign shop make an oilboard stencil, and I grab whatever paint I have on hand:

http://tinyurl.com/qnwnom

Nice! Great suggestion.
DOes anyone know what the military uses to number their stocks?? That should work great too.

The_War_Wagon
06-26-09, 20:08
I use a red paint pen, but whatever floats your boat...

-RD62

Bingo. I use silver. :D

JSantoro
06-26-09, 20:38
Nice! Great suggestion.
DOes anyone know what the military uses to number their stocks?? That should work great too.

The same paint pens mentioned above. I use the ones from Michael's, too, but the Testors ones definitely last longer.

Most common usage of stock markings is to indicate rack #, but if you see MARSOC, or similar, units that run more than one optic on a given weapon, you may see little colored tick marks on different spots on the rails.

militarymoron
06-26-09, 21:20
silver sharpie works great on mags.

Dunderway
06-26-09, 22:48
If you're talking P-Mags, why not just use a light touch with a soldering iron? No .mil cool factor, but permanent with no touch-ups required. I etched my 1911 mags with an engraver for the same reason.

SWATcop556
06-27-09, 03:07
Silver paint pen. Marked with my initials and the mag number. The numbers tell me which mag may have caused a malfunction and the initials because shit has a way of "walking off" around team mates who are Pmag-poor. :cool:

M4Fundi
06-27-09, 04:44
On my pistol mags I use a P-Touch, but am trying to figure out a better way for rifle mags.

Combat_Diver
06-27-09, 07:11
I also use a paint pen and touch up as needed.

CD

OldNavyGuy
06-27-09, 10:13
i use an electric etching pen, and mark a number or whatever info i need on the front face of the mag where it is hidden in the mag well when inserted, plus just a number on the floor plate, so far i am up to #265 :D

SeriousStudent
06-27-09, 10:31
Silver paint pen. Marked with my initials and the mag number. The numbers tell me which mag may have caused a malfunction and the initials because shit has a way of "walking off" around team mates who are Pmag-poor. :cool:

+1. I use a silver Sharpie on my black Pmags, and a black sharpie on the rest of my gear.

Saginaw79
06-27-09, 11:57
I number my mags consecutively w/ a set of 1" stencils and Krylon, usually Khaki/FDE

Previously I just painted the lower part of the spine w/ the same krylon

El Cid
06-27-09, 17:31
I used to use a silver Sharpie, but noticed it's always wearing off my pistol mags. Now all my mags (long gun or hand gun) get labeled with my initials and a number using a label maker. They can still wear off but last much longer in my experience.

M4Fundi
06-27-09, 22:10
My P-Touch label maker works well on metal, but I don't think (haven't tried) they would work well on P-Mags.

Outlander Systems
06-28-09, 11:52
Hobby-Shop Paint Pens

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9122/ris1.jpg

hammerg26
06-28-09, 12:01
Black Sharpie - though I am not sure how long it will last - I just got enough magazines to start labeling :)

Heavy Metal
06-28-09, 12:07
I learned more about fixing weapons from Centuries f-up's than I ever did in my armorer training in the .mil.

brianc142
06-28-09, 12:27
Same here.

fdxpilot
06-28-09, 16:27
+1. I use a silver Sharpie on my black Pmags, and a black sharpie on the rest of my gear.

Another vote for silver sharpie. Works on my black C Products, grey USGI, and my FDE PMags. Initials and a number.