PDA

View Full Version : Would any of this run me into NFA territory?

Jerm
06-27-09, 05:50
Sorry,new to AR pistols and i seem to be getting conflicting info.

I'm thinking of having one of my 16" carbines cut down to 10.5".I'd then put it on a virgin lower receiver registered as a pistol.

It would be 5.56...not sure if caliber makes a difference(wouldnt think so).

As long as it doesnt get a stock or foregrip it's not considered an SBR?The RE(buffer tube) isnt considered a stock by the ATF?

Is it that easy?No tax stamp or hoops to jump through?

DrBaker
06-27-09, 08:03
Sorry,new to AR pistols and i seem to be getting conflicting info.

I'm thinking of having one of my 16" carbines cut down to 10.5".I'd then put it on a virgin lower receiver registered as a pistol.No problems here.

It would be 5.56...not sure if caliber makes a difference(wouldnt think so).Caliber does not make a difference

As long as it doesnt get a stock or foregrip it's not considered an SBR?The RE(buffer tube) isnt considered a stock by the ATF?A stock or vertical foregrip would be a problem. The buffer tube would be okay. (I kinda like the new one that RRA sells for pistols.)

Is it that easy?No tax stamp or hoops to jump through?Yes, that easy.

See above.

Jerm
06-27-09, 12:03
Good stuff,thanks.

I'd prefer an SBR but...

I run my stock one notch from fully collapsed even on my 16"-ers(fully collapsed isnt a problem).On a 10.5" with plastic handguards i'd probably prefer it fully collapsed anyway.Wouldnt run a VFG on it either way...

The only thing i seem to lose by going with a pistol over an SBR is the actual footprint of the stock and the $200 tax stamp/ATF hassle.

Azrael2004
06-27-09, 21:54
Do not use a standard buffer tube that a stock will fit on.
Be sure to use one designated as a pistol tube.
If you can pop a stock on it you could be staying at Club Fed.

Jerm
06-28-09, 00:19
That had just occured to me looking at some pics of the RRA tube mentioned before.

Are the pistol tubes the same dimensions(internal) just without the hardware for the stock to mount/operate?

DrBaker
06-28-09, 03:39
Are the pistol tubes the same dimensions(internal) just without the hardware for the stock to mount/operate?

Most of them are about the same size and will use the carbine buffer and buffer spring.

There are some really short ones available. Those don't seem to be quite as common now adays and may not be quite as reliable as the regular length models.