PDA

View Full Version : M&P 15 VTAC

An Undocumented Worker
06-28-09, 10:11
I Picked up one of these last fall and have had the opportunity to put approx 2,000 rnds through it so far. As far as I can tell it has been a great gun.

Has anyone else had any experience with this model and what are your opinions on it?

A couple other questions I have since this is my first AR. What kinda of barrel wear should I expect at this round count, what should the bore look like. As I am unfamiliar as to how to judge condition of a chrome lined bore.

Nystagmus
07-04-09, 09:48
Any new info on these rifles ??? I've got one on order and it looks like a real nice piece. Who has experience with their own ??

RogerinTPA
07-04-09, 10:17
I played with Kyle Lambs VTAC rifle when I attended his 1.5 course. I was amazed at how light the weapon was. The only thing I'd wish for is that it was a mid-length barrel instead of a carbine (personal preference).

As far as barrel wear, I wouldn't worry about it. The average barrel life is 20K to 30K. The Bolt parts (extractor, extractor spring, black insert,) will start to wear first and will need to be replaced, depending on the rounds fired and hard (a carbine course) VS light usage. The Gas Key (Depending if it was properly staked) and Bolt lugs (Crack or Sheer off) will start to fail at higher round counts. I start to detail inspect for serviceability, around the 4-5K mark, then every 2K after that. Expect the extractor to go first around the 5K mark. If the weapon starts to Fail to Feed, replace the entire extractor, spring and insert. Replace the buffer and action/buffer spring, when it starts to short stroke. Just keep the BCG well lubed and clean it as you see fit. As always, anything can break at anytime and they don't normally stick to a fixed schedule to break. :D

JSantoro
07-04-09, 17:32
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the buffer basically just weight? What about it would require replacement?

Or are you referring to the receiver extension itself?

RogerinTPA
07-04-09, 18:47
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the buffer basically just weight?

Yes it is.

What about it would require replacement?

If over time, your weapon starts to short stroke, you may need to increase the weight of the buffer for proper functioning, and or, replace the action/buffer spring. Some manufacturers use carbine buffers in their carbine ARs, while others use H buffers for greater reliability. I prefer to use the H buffer, which is recommended for carbine length barrels. Not sure whether the VTAC or other M&P ARs use carbine buffers or not.

An Undocumented Worker
07-16-09, 19:44
Yes it is.

If over time, your weapon starts to short stroke, you may need to increase the weight of the buffer for proper functioning, and or, replace the action/buffer spring. Some manufacturers use carbine buffers in their carbine ARs, while others use H buffers for greater reliability. I prefer to use the H buffer, which is recommended for carbine length barrels. Not sure whether the VTAC or other M&P ARs use carbine buffers or not.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't short stroking be indicative of not enough gas reaching the bolt carrier? I would think that a heavier buffer would just exacerbate such a problem. So far in my short ownership the only failure I experienced was a failure to feed with one round of wolf lead tipped .223, otherwise the rifle has performed great, but as we all know, only greater round counts will tell.

And to answer a question from a previous post.
From what I can tell, my VTAC has a carbine buffer, properly staked gas key, and castle nut, oh and a 1/7 barrel.

Parabellum9x19mm
07-16-09, 19:53
looks like a cool rifle.

congrats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blGRU_S8YqQ <<<<Milspec Monkey video w/ Kyle Lamb @ SHOT 2009

Dunderway
07-16-09, 20:57
I've only handled one but was very impressed. What is the street price on these, as the shop I was at had ridiculous prices across the board?

Derek_Connor
07-16-09, 21:06
I've only handled one but was very impressed. What is the street price on these, as the shop I was at had ridiculous prices across the board?

This rifle always interested me, especially as my needs/wants have changed.

I assume this rifle falls on the same part of the chart has the other M&P rifles?
I know noveske offered a version of this, but used carbine gas systems as well.

I agree with whoever said it above, a midlength would be nice, a barrel swap would be easy...but then you are left w/an extra barrel.

Dunderway
07-16-09, 21:12
This rifle always interested me, especially as my needs/wants have changed.

I assume this rifle falls on the same part of the chart has the other M&P rifles?
I know noveske offered a version of this, but used carbine gas systems as well.

I agree with whoever said it above, a midlength would be nice, a barrel swap would be easy...but then you are left w/an extra barrel.

As others have stated, I believe it has a better quality 1:7 barrel. So it would be much more appealing (left of the chart) than the regular M&P to me.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-16-09, 21:18
The VTAC is the top-of-the-line model IIRC.

Didn't it have a 4140 1x7 chrome lined 5.56 barrel? Don't know about the BCG set-up.

Looks like a real nice working rifle.

RogerinTPA
07-16-09, 21:28
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't short stroking be indicative of not enough gas reaching the bolt carrier?

That's correct. Short stroking could be caused by quite a few things. Improper Mag height. A non standard mag could be too tall and make contact with the bolt carrier to slow it down. Gas leaks from a loose gas tube in the gas block, gas block leaking and gas/bolt rings, loose gas key, are others things that may cause a short stroke. The common issue is that they are all robbing gas from the system and slowing the carrier speed.

I would think that a heavier buffer would just exacerbate such a problem

It can if you use a buffer that's too heavy. Carbine length rifles run better with an H buffer. Many companies send them out with a carbine buffer to save money. A mid-length runs just fine with a carbine buffer. Just shoot yours until you start having problems, then toss in a H buffer.

GLOCKMASTER
07-17-09, 05:34
I Picked up one of these last fall and have had the opportunity to put approx 2,000 rnds through it so far. As far as I can tell it has been a great gun.

Has anyone else had any experience with this model and what are your opinions on it?

A couple other questions I have since this is my first AR. What kinda of barrel wear should I expect at this round count, what should the bore look like. As I am unfamiliar as to how to judge condition of a chrome lined bore.

With this low round count there should not be any real wear on the barrel.

Review from when I first received my VTAC Rifle (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19807)

S&W VTAC Rifle used in this carbine class (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=21135)

I have also used my VTAC RIfle in a Pat Rogers class.
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_1974-1-1.jpg

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DayTwo_355-1.jpg

So far so good with the S&W version of the VTAC rifle. I have yet to have a malfunction that was actually related to the weapon. I have only seen one on a shelf and that was in a local LE supply store.

Time will only tell as I get more rounds down range with this rifle.

STS
07-17-09, 11:05
Now that you have a good amount of rounds through the gun, as well as a couple classes, what are your thoughts on the rail? Do you still like it? I have always been intrigued by the VTAC rail as it seems to fit my needs perfectly. I don't need tons of rails space, all I run is a light and a fold down front sight.

bigb4015
07-17-09, 13:55
Whats the weight on the V Tac?

RogerinTPA
07-17-09, 16:10
If only S&W make it in a mid-length. Noveske's VTAC is a middy, but are not in stock.

GLOCKMASTER
07-17-09, 19:23
Now that you have a good amount of rounds through the gun, as well as a couple classes, what are your thoughts on the rail? Do you still like it? I have always been intrigued by the VTAC rail as it seems to fit my needs perfectly. I don't need tons of rails space, all I run is a light and a fold down front sight.

I still prefer the VTAC Modular Handguard System over other rail handguard systems because you can place your rail sections where you want them instead of having to deal with a handguard system that is covered in rail. Viking Tactics has a new style rail system that is being made by Troy. I was in VTAC Corp. HQ's last week and hand my hands on one. I like the new rail system over the older due to its ease of installation and removal for weapon maintenance. Also a nice feature of the new rail is that it has a smaller profile than the older system. I will actually get to spend some time on the range with the new rail system next weekend so I will have a better opinion of it by the conclusion of the Street Fighter Class.

New VTAC Rail

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/vtac_xtreme_rail_lrg.jpg

schwaggy
08-23-10, 15:17
Any updates on when the 2010 M&P 15 VTAC will be available?