PDA

View Full Version : Dump Pouches?

Bpurcg19
06-28-09, 16:51
Hey everyone,

Another question.....

I do not run a molle belt. I used a standard eagle duty belt. Who makes a dump pouch for a standard duty belt? Do you guys just modify the ones that attach via molle gear?

Thanks for all the help.
-B:D

LOKNLOD
06-28-09, 16:56
I like the CSM (http://www.csmgear.com/) dump pouch and it has hangers that fix around a standard belt just as easy (or easier) than MOLLE loops.

JC5611
06-28-09, 16:57
I just ordered this one from Emdom...

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/emdomusa/Detail?no=61

I run a standard belt as well and it seems this one will give you no problems. You can secure the malice clips and then run your belt right through them as you would with any standard pouch. That's what I plan to do. The pouch looks great, won't know for sure till it gets here.

Hope this helps.

JC

Bpurcg19
06-28-09, 17:06
Those look good! Thanks guys! I wish eagle made something like these.

-B

Bpurcg19
06-28-09, 17:08
Also with a little more research of my own...:rolleyes:

I found this. Might also be an option.

http://www.eclipsegearonline.com/Default.aspx?tabid=55&ProductId=67

-B

calicojack
06-28-09, 17:21

NCPatrolAR
06-28-09, 17:34
CSM has become my default choice. I use one on a MOLLE belt and one on a standard duty belt.

subzero
06-28-09, 20:04
The CSM gear version is good, but a bit big IMO. I like the medium sized Maxpedition Rollypoly. Allows for thread-on belt attaching or via MOLLE.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=228

CLHC
06-28-09, 20:12
One may also use Eagle Industries < Duty Evidence Pouch (http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=503&cat=83&page=1) > that attaches to the duty belt.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy! :cool:

rob_s
06-28-09, 20:14
I use the Eagle Evidence Pouch for pistol only, and the CSM for carbine.

Treehopr
06-28-09, 20:36
You may also want to look at the Eagle SAS dump pouch, I have one on my Eagle Duty Belt and use it as a buttpack.

Over mt left hip I have a Diamondback Tactical Medium SSE pouch which has velcro loops to secure it to the Eagle Duty Belt.

Took me several years to arrive at this set up but it works well for me.

I had the Rollypolly but found it was too loose with things falling out if I did any sort of running or aggressive position changes.

matthewdanger
06-28-09, 21:44
I have owned and used several. Here are some of my impressions.

Maxpedition RollyPoly - I have a ton of these. They are great for sticking on your belt in a pinch or keeping them rolled up and out of the way on a chest rig. If you are going to run drills that require a lot of running, you will likely leave a yard sale in your wake (stuff will fly out). I still use these on my belt for slow fire handgun stuff, to keep items handy around the house, in my BOBs as expandable storage, and on chest rigs so I always have a dumper, even if I don't have a belt (I like my chest rig to be able to work stand alone in a pinch).

London Bridge Trading - The one I had was a folding type that is similar to the RollyPoly but it sort of dropped below the belt. It was well made but had pretty much nothing in the way of retention. I can't really recommend it for anything. In fact, I don't think they even make it anymore.

Spec Ops Dump Pouch - This is a decent pouch that suffers from poor mounting options. It is mounted via MOLLE and would work well on a subload if you like that kind of thing. It has a clever flap set up that can be rolled and clipped out of the way. It also has two thick elastic flaps over the opening that act like those tiny rubber coin purses - you can easily drop things in but it keeps stuff in there pretty well. I got rid of this because it doesn't work particularly well on the belt and is too big for a chest rig.

Eagle Industries SAS - This is a very well made subload type dump pouch but the opening doesn't work very well. It stays closed well and it stays wide open pretty well but it will often loose items out of the top while on the run.

Blackwater Gear - I picked one of these up on the cheap and it is surprisingly decent although I don't use it anymore. It has two different sized zipper openings and the smaller one is perfect for putting things in without letting them out. It is constructed of two layers of 1000D Cordura. The straps are terrible and I replaced them. The vertical strap tends to bunch and roll. I stiffened it with duct tape.

Specter Gear - This one is similar to the CSM Gear pouch. It works very well. I especially like the pack cloth type opening (like the old ALICE packs) and the fact that is double layered Cordura. I have two beefs with it. 1) It uses two thick attachment points instead of three thinner ones like the CSM and Battlelab designs. This makes it tricker to use on a MOLLE belt but it is doable. It is geared more toward use with a velcro lined duty belt. 2) The belt loops are only sewn on with 1 thick stitch in a line. Other design use larger stitches that look like an "X" in a box. These seems like a weak point.

Diamondback Tactical/Battlelab SSE - This one and the CSM Gear are my favorites (followed closely by the Specter Gear unit). This has great retention, is easy to use, and is very well built. The price is excellent too. I am thrilled with all my Battlelab gear. I can't believe how great their prices are. I wish they would add better pictures and descriptions to their website because there are a ton of great features to their gear that isn't even listed.

CSM Gear - This is a great pouch. It just works and it is very well made.

Subload type dumpers are lashed to your leg so when you run, the mags move but your dump pouch doesn't - this allows mags to pop out on the move. Folding type pouches (like the RollyPoly) are handy but offer little in the way of retention. Sure, they can be closed but that prevents you from getting things into them as well.

In my experience, the only dump pouches that reliably retain items in most situations are the bag type from Battlelab, Specter Gear, and CSM Gear. They have stiffeners to keep them somewhat open and great retention that allows items in and encourages them to stay in. They mount only at the top of the pouch so they are free to bounce and move with the magazines that are inside. This keeps the mags in the pouch. I mount mine on my belt on the centerline of my back. This allows me to quickly and easily reach with with my right or left hand and it generally stays out of the way. When you are sitting they tuck up nicely into the small of your back all on their own. These are pretty much all I use now.

militarymoron
06-29-09, 10:49
till you mount/dismount your vehicle...

what problems did you experience with it? i'm surprised, as i designed it to work just fine seated in a vehicle (when empty). when full, it's just like any other in a vehicle. if you read my writeup on it - it explains that. let me know why it didn't work for you so i can improve it. i'm assuming you have one and are writing from personal experience. i always appreciate feedback from users - postive and negative.

years ago, i used the eagle evidence pouch, but found that it flopped around too much. i designed the maxpedition rolly poly as a dedicated dump pouch, which was stiffer due to the material, and was also molle compatible. but while a folding pouch is convenient, there are limitations to a folding design.

the latest MM dump pouch made by EMDOM incorporates all the improvements i wanted to make in a non-folding dedicated dump pouch, and i tried to take as many factors into consideration, as possible, which includes vehicle and seated use. the stiffening panel isn't long enough to really get in the way and the pouch itself just crumples like any other. the nylon stiffening material in the panel and pouch opening is there to add support to the pouch, but it's not completely rigid and can flex. the idea of the stiffening panel is not to eliminate movement of the pouch - just reduce the 'amplitude' of the floppage.
i've explained the thought process behind it on my site: http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/firstline.html#emdump

matthewdanger - those are very astute observations and closely parallel my own experiences with the different dump pouches i've tried. with the new one, i've tried to address most of the perceived deficiencies in the current designs, but i'm well aware that everyone has different opinions and needs, and my design won't be right for everyone. all i can do is design it as well as i can to work for my own limited needs and hope that it works just as well for others. there are many excellent products out there that are different enough to fit the various needs of most people.

markm
06-29-09, 11:16
I have owned and used several. Here are some of my impressions. <snip>

Holy Cow!!! A dump pouch guru! :p

matthewdanger
06-29-09, 11:42
Holy Cow!!! A dump pouch guru! :p

Ha. Yeah, I've tried a few. :)

CLHC
06-29-09, 11:54
That's quite a Hazard[ous] rundown on dump pouches there Matt! :D

subzero
06-29-09, 13:38
I had the Rollypolly but found it was too loose with things falling out if I did any sort of running or aggressive position changes.

I've seen this comment a couple of times. Am I the only one that cinches the bungeee cord up a bunch so when I close the flap there isn't a lot of room for stuff to come out?

With the flap open, regardless of how much it's cinched down, stuff will bounce out of that Maxped pouch when things start getting dynamic. The only dumper I've seen that doesn't suffer from that is the old SOE with the slit on top, and similar pouches from Blackhawk, LBT and TT.

Treehopr
06-29-09, 14:22
I've seen this comment a couple of times. Am I the only one that cinches the bungeee cord up a bunch so when I close the flap there isn't a lot of room for stuff to come out?

With the flap open, regardless of how much it's cinched down, stuff will bounce out of that Maxped pouch when things start getting dynamic. The only dumper I've seen that doesn't suffer from that is the old SOE with the slit on top, and similar pouches from Blackhawk, LBT and TT.

With it cinched down how do you put stuff in?

matthewdanger
06-29-09, 14:27
With it cinched down how do you put stuff in?

The opening stretches so typically you can plunge your hand all the way in, drop the item, and then remove your hand. I run my RollyPolies cinched enough that I can still drop things in but it retains most items. I could probably cinch mine closed further because I still loose things out of them. I still wouldn't trade them for anything because they are so handy. I just don't use them for certain things.

Harv
06-29-09, 23:04
SubZero

The CSM gear version is good, but a bit big IMO. I like the medium sized Maxpedition Rollypoly. Allows for thread-on belt attaching or via MOLLE.

I used to think that.. until I got tired of picking up my magazines every time after running or going prone....The RollyPolly is to shallow and does not keep it's contents in place.. and whats the point if I have to keep opening /closing it.

The CSM is the gold standard by which all others are judged... IMHO. I put mags in there and they stay in there... until I reach in and retrieve them.

Treehopr
06-30-09, 08:23
I could probably cinch mine closed further because I still loose things out of them.... I just don't use them for certain things.

Gotcha ;)

Bpurcg19
06-30-09, 08:24
This thread has turned up a lot of good information. Thanks for the contribution guys!
-B:D