PDA

View Full Version : Pof-usa P415

alien319
01-20-07, 13:16
Has anybody ever fired one of these? If so how are they and are they worth the money? Thanks in advance for any info.

FJB
01-20-07, 20:19
alien319,
I have shot over 3,000 rounds (with 1500 rnds being at a Gunsite OIF Vets course) through one of the early POF 415 9.25" uppers with out cleaning it and with no malfunctions. Tested for accuracy at the end shot 1.5" groups at 100 yards. I had a 14.5" upper run equally well with out cleaning for 1600 rounds in a Pat Rogers three day carbine course. I have a 13.5" upper with a little over 3,500 rounds through it and it has survived a Gunsite 250 course and several 10-8 Carbine courses with no issues.

Now those were all POF uppers on a pre-ban BM lower. I am going to get a complete POF 415 16" carbine with Timney trigger this week to run in a four day 1,200 rnd POST Carbine Instructor course first week of February to see how it performs. Bottomline is that the ones I have tested and evaluated have all performed extremely well and the CROS silcon nickel finish on the upper receiver parts works as advertised. They aren't as pretty as a Lietner & Wise, but they run just as well and while I appreciate beauty, function is what I prefer with regards to a working gun.

I am not a fan of the POF Predator rails system and prefer standard size picatinny rail systems. Thus, I would request a Vltor VIS II upper or Daniel Defense, Troy, or LaRue picatinny forend, but that is my personal preference yours may vary.

S/F

BSHNT2015
01-21-07, 01:00
I shot the P415 upper with the 16 inch barrel on a LMT lower, very accurate and cleaning the weapon was no problem-didn't have to. I ran about 500-600rds through it. Taking it apart was like taking a FN L1A1 apart. Very simple.
It belonged to a friend, so I had to give it back. I would buy one if they made it in a 6.8MM.

Dport
01-21-07, 07:54
Got one. Liked it. Ordered another.

alien319
01-21-07, 12:44
Thanks fellas, I'll have to keep looking into it. What would be a good cost for the 16 in. upper?

FJB
01-21-07, 14:25
BSHNT2015,
Am pretty sure they'd make you one in 6.8mm. Give them a call.

Alien319,
Not sure on pricing and you'll need to contact POF. Frank DeSomma posts on M4Carbine so maybe he'll read and chime in.

S/F

heijutsu
01-21-07, 14:44
The worst part is the wait. But I am making myself believe it is worth it. I have read alot of negative things on LW on the various forums and have never really heard anything negative about POF. If you check out the April 2007 issue of Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement it has a good article on the P415.

Dport
01-21-07, 15:55
The best price you can get is on the website. Unless you can find a used one somewhere.

alien319
01-22-07, 12:07
The POF gas piston uppers drop right in to a standard lower reciever right? I know that is a pretty nice idea to help limit fouling and carbon buildup.

Dport
01-22-07, 12:18
Yes they will drop onto a standard lower.

ecds01
01-22-07, 14:43
I have one of the pof rifles upper lower and their trigger very nice rifle ive only had it out once so far about 500 rds no hickups:D

alien319
01-22-07, 22:11
Are they really worth the extra money though? I mean they are quite a bit more than a standard upper. If they are worth it than I am all for it but if they aren't then I wouldn't be as interested.

Shadow6
01-24-07, 13:03
Are they really worth the extra money though? I mean they are quite a bit more than a standard upper. If they are worth it than I am all for it but if they aren't then I wouldn't be as interested.

Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster

I've owned several DI AR 15s (M&P15, Bushy, and Stag) and loved em'...still do, to a certain degree. I purchased a POF 11.5" P9X Upper, which sits on a POF Billet Lower and I don't think I'll be buying another DI Platform anytime soon. Accuracy is great, cleaning isn't "work" anymore, and everything about it is ergonomically correct. You'll hear debate about the Predator Rail System, but to me, it's awesome (again, just my opinion). Is it worth it? Well, if it were my money...the answer would be a definite YES (but it's not).

-Doc

alien319
01-24-07, 13:09
Thanks Shadow6 I appreciate your help. I just wish I could get an in person glimpse of it. I'll have to search around and try to find someone with one.

M4Guru
01-24-07, 16:26
I mean they are quite a bit more than a standard upper

Add up all the parts of a nice upper with a FF rail, bolt, carrier, charging handle and see if it's still more.

BrianC
01-24-07, 18:03
I just purchased a POF 415 16" complete, and I didn't have to wait for it either. If you contact POF, you'll have to wait 10 to 12 weeks. However, Scottsdale Gun Club is just down the street from the POF factory, and they keep several in stock. I simply called them up, gave them my credit card number, and they shipped it out the next day. I paid $1,799. I have a feeling that I didn't get a very good deal, however, I'm willing to pay extra instead of waiting 10 to 12 weeks. Their phone number is (480) 348-1111.

I've only shot about 500 rds through it so far (with no hang-ups). However, I am going to a 5-day carbine course at Blackwater next week and I will shoot around 3,000 rds through it. I don't plan on cleaning it at all (unless of course it malfunctions). I want to see just what this gun can do. I'm really not into cleaning guns, that's why I shoot Glocks. I'm hoping that this POF carbine will be another easy gun to maintain.

Shadow6
01-24-07, 18:49
I've only shot about 500 rds through it so far (with no hang-ups). However, I am going to a 5-day carbine course at Blackwater next week and I will shoot around 3,000 rds through it. I don't plan on cleaning it at all (unless of course it malfunctions). I want to see just what this gun can do. I'm really not into cleaning guns, that's why I shoot Glocks. I'm hoping that this POF carbine will be another easy gun to maintain.

Brian,

Let me know how the course goes. I was looking at going to one of Blackwater's Tactical Med/Carbine/Pistol courses.

Thanks.

-Doc

BrianC
01-24-07, 20:32
Brian,

Let me know how the course goes. I was looking at going to one of Blackwater's Tactical Med/Carbine/Pistol courses.

Thanks.

-Doc
I've taken BW's 5-Day Tac Pistol I, 5-Day Tac Pistol II, and 3-Day Advanced Handgun Skills course. I was very impressed with the Tac Pistol I course. It was very comprehensive, and the instructors were knowledgeable. At the end of the course we shot up a car, a residential door, lumber, bricks, and blocks with different caliber weapons to learn about the various effects. We also learned about shooting through windshields, which was very interesting. The facility, club house, cafeteria, and ranges are world-class!

Tac Pistol II and Adv Handgun Skls were basically repeats of Tac Pistol I. I was disappointed and felt like it was a waste of money. The only difference between Tac I and Tac II, was that in Tac II we did some shoot house work. Adv Handgun Skls was supposed to be more advanced, but we really didn't do anything different than the other two classes.

The only other complaint I have with BW is that they do not uphold their prerequisites, therefore, some students in the level II & III classes should NOT be there. These students slowed the pace of the class. Other than that, I would HIGHLY recommend Blackwater.

Hope this helps.

Brian