PDA

View Full Version : Heard a new ammo shortage rumour

AR15AK47USER
06-29-09, 02:43
Got this fourth hand, so take it with a grain of salt. There are people predicting another shortage of reloading components in a month or two. Supposedly someone who is in DHS (Department of Homeland Security) let it slip that due to the their inability to get a sufficient supply of loaded ammo they will be making their own. It is expected that DHS will be ordering components for over 1 Million (yes, 1 000 000) rounds of ammo and that the already short supply of primers, powder and bullets will become even shorter due to this. I m not sure as to factual basis of this but just giving a heads up and FYI in case it happens. If anyone knows otherwise please let us know. I heard this from a friend of a friend who is in DHS, so it may be pure poppycock, but just in cas e it isn't......

R.Miksits
06-29-09, 03:50
I cant see them doing this. It would surely bring forward to many law suits forward with the reloaded ammo involved.

Unless its just for training purposes. The problem with that is 1,000,000 rounds wont go very far towards training.

tpd223
06-29-09, 04:14
I smell BS, for two reasons;

I don't know of an LEO agency that wants the liability of loading it's own ammo (then there are the other issues of shipping, distribution, etc.)

One million rounds is a drop in the bucket. The first 6 months of this year the Army bought one billion rounds of 5.56 from Lake City, same as last year, according to both open sources available and a guy I know who works there.

threebanger
06-29-09, 06:14
Got this fourth hand, so take it with a grain of salt. There are people predicting another shortage of reloading components in a month or two. Supposedly someone who is in DHS (Department of Homeland Security) let it slip that due to the their inability to get a sufficient supply of loaded ammo they will be making their own. It is expected that DHS will be ordering components for over 1 Million (yes, 1 000 000) rounds of ammo and that the already short supply of primers, powder and bullets will become even shorter due to this. I m not sure as to factual basis of this but just giving a heads up and FYI in case it happens. If anyone knows otherwise please let us know. I heard this from a friend of a friend who is in DHS, so it may be pure poppycock, but just in cas e it isn't......
Haven't heard about any ammo shortage & I seriously doubt a department can just decide it's going to make it's own ammo. Way to many legal ramifications to even consider IMHO. And unless a certain well know ammunition manufacturer decided to stop or slow production of LE ammo down I think it's probably just that fourth hand BS or someone's ill informed spin off from that right wing extremism report that came out months ago.

But hey maybe it is true & the zombies might just be on their way. They could be in orbit around the Earth right now! Just waiting to drop ship in by the hordes to eat our brains.

Monkeys will now fly out of my Anus.

Heavy Metal
06-29-09, 06:43
Im calling bullshit. One million rounds is less than a days production for a major ammo producer.

Has the DHS put out hriing requests for technicians to load this ammo? Their job postings would have to already be out there.

John_Wayne777
06-29-09, 07:19
It would be massively more expensive to buy components, reloading equipment, and staff (people are the most expensive part of production) to do the loading than to buy ammo from manufacturers. To set up a program like that in-house would require going through enough red tape to strangle a mammoth.

Littlelebowski
06-29-09, 07:27
Stupid tin foil hat rumor.

sff70
06-29-09, 08:06
DHS would need a lot more than 1 million rounds, annually.

The cost to buy the equipment, facilities, and dedicated personnel to produce RELIABLE ammunition for handguns alone would be huge.

Much cheaper for them to buy from the ammo companies.

Cold Zero
06-29-09, 08:24
Too much liability. Bullshit.

Since when can the Gov't produce anything cheaper, or better than private industry ?

The_War_Wagon
06-29-09, 09:14
Weapons grade balonium. :rolleyes: Especially that FEW rounds...

decodeddiesel
06-29-09, 09:27
Stupid tin foil hat rumor.

I agree this is just plain stupid.

Also I will echo Heavy Metal's comments about hiring technicians to be loading this ammo.

Even then I couldn't even begin to fathom the red tape involved to have a gov't agency be manufacturing ammo in house, or the numerous grievances which would be filed by the numerous supplying companies that would loose out over this.

Make no mistake about it when some place like Winchester wins a contract bid for supplying some government agency with an ammo contract they literally put everything on hold in order to fulfill the contract.

Who ever came up with this hair brain idea really has no idea whats so ever about how the government procurement procedure works.

ToddG
06-29-09, 09:47
Supposedly someone who is in DHS (Department of Homeland Security) let it slip that due to the their inability to get a sufficient supply of loaded ammo they will be making their own.

Pure BS.

tango-papa
06-29-09, 12:43
Weapons grade balonium.

Too funny - love it!

~tp

Littlelebowski
06-29-09, 12:58
Can we lock this nonsense, mods?

RogerinTPA
06-29-09, 13:03
I heard this from a friend of a friend who is in DHS

This part alone, disqualifies your post. Next time, post a link to an actual reference or the actual solicitation by the agency you are referring to.