PDA

View Full Version : What's the verdict on the SLR-106?

RyanS
01-20-07, 13:43
I've read threads where folks are as happy as can be and others complaining of reliability issues and sight misalignment. I was wondering if the issues have been resolved with the new batches coming out of Arsenal because I think that I've found a deal on a 106, sans sight mount, that I can't pass up...NIB for $680. Any advice?

Jay Cunningham
01-20-07, 13:54
Range Report Part II: SLR-106FR (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=2523)

Range Report Part I: SLR-106FR Function Check and Zeroing (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=2122)

My third and final report will be when I hit the 1,000 round mark.

TOrrock
01-20-07, 15:27
The problem with sight alignment was with the very first batch out the door. The laser alignment tool that they use to install the front sight block was out of calibration and it wasn't checked before several rifles went out the door.

Any issues and they'll fix it.

The alignment tool is now checked for daily calibration.

I haven't heard of any reliablity issues, ther have been several people who had a couple of bad magazines, and magazines that weren't degreased before use.

I am thrilled with mine. It's my favorite AK.

RyanS
01-20-07, 15:33
Outstanding. Is $680 a good deal?

TOrrock
01-20-07, 18:28
Yeah, I'd say $680 is a good deal. :cool:

9x19
01-20-07, 20:05
I would jump on that deal. :)

VA_Dinger
01-23-07, 11:16
I have been extremely happy with mine, in fact I could not bitch about a single part of it. I have never seen an AK this well built or with a trigger this solid.

P.S. – I would jump on $680, that’s a great price.

RyanS
01-28-07, 22:11
Well, I jumped on it. Got the rifle, a 5 rounds, a 20 round, and 3 30 round mags for $673.00. I'm pretty pleased. I hope to hit the range this weekend. After getting it home and really looking it over...it's typcial Arsenal. One thing I wonder about it the rear sight as it seems ever so slightly twisted counterclockwise. I didn't notice this in the store it's that slight. I know that I will need to shoot it before I will know for certain, however, do you think that this will affect accuracy?

Also, what do you recommend for a sling. I was thinking about the Vickers sling? For those of you who have one, how is it working for you?

Last, what would it take to change the plastic stock with a triangulare metal stock as seen on K-Var?

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16845

GastonG-NoVa
01-29-07, 19:58
Good find on the 106, I got a similar deal that I couldn't pass up. The 106 is my favorite AK, I have about 1500 rounds in the first one that I got. The second one is an un-fired safe queen....for now!

justin_247
02-27-11, 14:15
Any more news on the SLR-106? I'm considering purchasing one and the numerous threads on this site haven't had much traffic in some time.

What are the specific reliability issues that LAV mentioned? THANKS!

TOrrock
02-27-11, 15:36
Any more news on the SLR-106? I'm considering purchasing one and the numerous threads on this site haven't had much traffic in some time.

What are the specific reliability issues that LAV mentioned? THANKS!

Some of the early guns didn't have a proper feed ramp, which is actually just a small area milled down to help guide the tip of the bullet up into the chamber as the bolt slams home. That's been addressed for a number of years and really isn't an issue any more.

What LAV is talking about, in broader terms, is that the shape of the 7.62x39mm and the 5.45x39mm cartridges, especially the taper of the case and the length of the bullets, aid greatly in both feeding and extraction. They are pure "assault rifle" cartridges, designed from the ground up for military service in a select fire weapon. The 5.56x45mm is based on the .223 Rem. which, as we know, has a fairly straight case and a short bit of bullet sticking out of the case, compared to say the 5.45mm. It was originally a civilian bench rest and varmint cartridge designed around bolt actions, and later adapted for military service. The Kalashnikov feed way is much longer and unsupported compared to the M16 FOW and therefore a cartridge with a severe taper aids in feeding.

5.56x45mm AK's can and are extremely reliable. Israel and South Africa (along with Colombia, Guatemala, and several other Central/South American countries) have used the Galil family of weapons for several decades in very trying environments, in military actions, and it works exceedingly well. The Bulgarians and Poles also issue AK variants (milled and stamped respectively) in 5.56x45mm and they run without complaint.

The "hit on reliability" is usually compared to the same weapons chambered in either 7.62x39mm or 5.45x39mm, which as we know, have a mythical status. If you have an SLR-106 that's been made in the last 2 or 3 years, it should run like a scalded dog.

I actually think it's one of the most versatile Kalashnikov variants out there, as you can use the cheapest steel cased crap Russian, through some of the best 75gr or 77gr. OTM loads. The SLR-106 and SA-M5 use a cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel with a 1/7" twist that will stabilize anything that you can fit in the magazine. It even does fine with frangible training ammo if you want to take it through a shoot house, something you can't do with a rifle chambered in 7.62x39mm or 5.45x39mm.

Moose-Knuckle
02-28-11, 22:17
Glad this thread came back to life. A couple of months ago a purchased an SLR-106CR w/ removable muzzle attachment for a song. I have the intention of having it SBR'ed and run a booster on her. I have read that I may need to send her back to Arsenal to have a gromment in the gas tube removed and the bullet guide attended too. I have not shot it to date, it's in storage now. But I plan on shooting it first before I invest in the NFA work.

I'm worried that she won't run correctly until I have the gromment removed though and the bullet guide "fixed". But I will wait until I have shot her first.

Anyone else have the CR had any issues?

28_days
02-28-11, 22:58
Glad this thread came back to life. A couple of months ago a purchased an SLR-106CR w/ removable muzzle attachment for a song. I have the intention of having it SBR'ed and run a booster on her. I have read that I may need to send her back to Arsenal to have a gromment in the gas tube removed and the bullet guide attended too. I have not shot it to date, it's in storage now. But I plan on shooting it first before I invest in the NFA work.

I'm worried that she won't run correctly until I have the gromment removed though and the bullet guide "fixed". But I will wait until I have shot her first.

Anyone else have the CR had any issues?

Can you go into more detail about your issues? Did you buy it used? How do you know of these problems?

Moose-Knuckle
03-01-11, 16:14
Can you go into more detail about your issues? Did you buy it used? How do you know of these problems?

Bought my rifle new from a dealer in CO. I have not shot it, it is still NIB. In researching on the internet about SLR-106's and the CR's I have come across several things. One which is what Templar addressed above about the 106's bullet guide being problematic on the earlier rifles. The second of which some owner's have had problems with the 106CR's not cycling properly. Some have said this is due in part to the CR's not having been SBR'ed so a booster can be attached. Other's attribute this to a gromment in the gas tube that needs to be removed by the fatory.

All in all, I just need to shoot my individual rifle (SLR-106CR) to see if I have an malfuntions before I invest the time and money into the NFA work. Just trying to see if anyone other CR owners have had any issues.

28_days
03-01-11, 17:34
Bought my rifle new from a dealer in CO. I have not shot it, it is still NIB. In researching on the internet about SLR-106's and the CR's I have come across several things. One which is what Templar addressed above about the 106's bullet guide being problematic on the earlier rifles. The second of which some owner's have had problems with the 106CR's not cycling properly. Some have said this is due in part to the CR's not having been SBR'ed so a booster can be attached. Other's attribute this to a gromment in the gas tube that needs to be removed by the fatory.

All in all, I just need to shoot my individual rifle (SLR-106CR) to see if I have an malfuntions before I invest the time and money into the NFA work. Just trying to see if anyone other CR owners have had any issues.

Understood. The feed ramp issue was addressed years ago, and can be determined by serial prefixes.

As for the grommet issue? This is the first I've heard of it.

Moose-Knuckle
03-01-11, 17:48
Understood. The feed ramp issue was addressed years ago, and can be determined by serial prefixes.

Could you please provide information on the serial number prefixes as this will aid me in eliminating the bullet guide issue. Since the CR's were a limited run I get the sneaky suspicion that mine was manufactured earlier on.

28_days
03-01-11, 21:58
I hate to post this, but this is the best resource I know of: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=76&t=106540

justin_247
03-02-11, 03:05
THANKS for the information! I'll be buying one in a few weeks... now I just have to find a vendor who has one in stock.

Moose-Knuckle
03-02-11, 14:46
I hate to post this, but this is the best resource I know of: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=76&t=106540

Well TOS does have it's uses I suppose.

BaronFitz
03-02-11, 17:13
I had my SLR-106F sent back to the factory to fix the feed ramp issue. (It was a 4 year old gun that I bought used.) Cost me $50 since it was out of warranty, but well worth it.

For what it's worth, the lady on the phone at Arsenal said that the serial numbers aren't necessarily sequential, but a quick look at the pics in that TOS thread will tell you pretty quickly if you need feed ramp work or not. Mine definitely looked like the "before" picture. Now it looks like the "after" picture, and runs like a raped ape.

Moose-Knuckle
03-02-11, 18:25
For what it's worth, the lady on the phone at Arsenal said that the serial numbers aren't necessarily sequential, but a quick look at the pics in that TOS thread will tell you pretty quickly if you need feed ramp work or not. Mine definitely looked like the "before" picture. Now it looks like the "after" picture, and runs like a raped ape.

Good to know, thanks.

AZ-Renegade
03-31-11, 18:44
Well, Templar's SLR-106 2.0 thread has pushed me over the edge to sell my Mini-14 and replace it with a 106FR.

Problem is, it seems like all the 106FRs are out of stock. Is Arsenal still making them?

TOrrock
03-31-11, 18:59
Might want to call Atlantic Firearms and see if they have them in stock.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct836.aspx

AZ-Renegade
04-01-11, 10:34
Thanks Templar!

Called Atlantic Firearms today and the gentleman on the phone said he has no SLR rifles and probably won't receive any until May.

calvin118
06-16-11, 09:22
I am in the market for a SLR-106 myself, and Atlantic said they were out until at least August. Does anyone else know who might have one in stock?

7.62WildBill
12-15-11, 16:48
I want a .223 AK and have about an $800 target budget. My research has narrowed it down to the SLR-106 or a Galil (or Golani). I am hesitant to roll the dice on a Century-built rifle, but read that the Galil is the best .223 variant for the AK platform. However, when Templar says the SLR is his favorite AK, that seems to be a strong endorsement. Any comments on the matter would be appreciated.:confused:

TOrrock
12-15-11, 16:59
I want a .223 AK and have about an $800 target budget. My research has narrowed it down to the SLR-106 or a Galil (or Golani). I am hesitant to roll the dice on a Century-built rifle, but read that the Galil is the best .223 variant for the AK platform. However, when Templar says the SLR is his favorite AK, that seems to be a strong endorsement. Any comments on the matter would be appreciated.:confused:

Century Golanis are NOT IMI Galils....they are craptastical carbines built with sub par out of spec US receiver and barrels, with the guts being from Guatemalan surplus rode hard and put up wet Galils.

With your budget, I'd look at getting a SAIGA and converting as you acquire parts and money.

It's also possible to luck into a lightly used SLR-106, they are out there. Have your shekels ready when you see one.

DeltaSierra
12-15-11, 17:03

There is no comparing a Galil or a US made variant of that rifle to a Bulgarian SLR. The SLR is by far worth whatever hassle it may be to find one.

Having used both the Galil (the real deal) and the SLR-106, I can assure you that the Bulgarian rifle is by far the better choice...

Also, I for sure wouldn't get the "Golani" from Century... They are the bottom of the barrel....

BaronFitz
12-15-11, 17:09
I scooped up my SLR-106 for ~$750-800 (don't remember exactly). It had sat on consignment for a while, and the seller had dropped the asking price for it, a case, and 4 mags from about $1200.

A SAM-5 with milled receiver would be another excellent choice from Arsenal, if a little heavier than the stamped guns.

Aries144
12-15-11, 17:20
The galil might be nice, but it's heavier than a stamped receiver AK.

I would not bother with a century-made rifle unless I were planning on spending a lot of time and some additional money working on the thing myself or sending to a good smith to sort out.

I recommend the SLR-106 or a 5.56 saiga conversion.

From a brief look around the net, it looks like converting a 5.56 Saiga may be your only option at the moment, as I don't see any SLR-106s available.

You have many options if you decide to convert a saiga, the cheapest of which would involve some DIY work and a pistol grip and buttstock of your choice.

7.62WildBill
12-15-11, 18:07
Thank you all for the input. Is the SAIGA conversion kit from akparts.etc. a good deal?

BaronFitz
12-15-11, 22:03
Don't know if you live anywhere near VA, but VA Arms always seems to have an SLR-106UR factory SBR on the wall, if you're in the mood for a nice compact 5.56 Krink type. (it does have the AK-100 series side-folder, so it's very compact)

Edit to add:

There's one for sale in the EE (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92190)