PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Missouri LEO's

rat31465
06-29-09, 14:38
If there are any Missouri Law Enforcement Officer's here willing to answere a question regarding Missouri Castle Doctrine for me...would you please either respond on the thread or to my Private Messages.

With the passage of Castle Doctrine I understand that ones vehicle is now considered to be an extension of their home...and therefore even those who do not have a CCW permit may keep a loaded firearm in the vehicle.
Is this corect?
And what is considered to be the appropriate way to keep the firearm?

Magazine loaded, chamber empty inside the glove compartment?

Not within fingertip accessability?

A call to local authorites resulted in my being told that it was up to the interpretation of the responding officer if one was pulled over.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

nismofun
06-29-09, 21:56
If there are any Missouri Law Enforcement Officer's here willing to answere a question regarding Missouri Castle Doctrine for me...would you please either respond on the thread or to my Private Messages.

With the passage of Castle Doctrine I understand that ones vehicle is now considered to be an extension of their home...and therefore even those who do not have a CCW permit may keep a loaded firearm in the vehicle.
Is this corect?
And what is considered to be the appropriate way to keep the firearm?

Magazine loaded, chamber empty inside the glove compartment?

Not within fingertip accessability?

A call to local authorites resulted in my being told that it was up to the interpretation of the responding officer if one was pulled over.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I'll start off with I'm not a lawyer, peace officer, or someone who stayed in a holiday inn last night.

That said, it is my understanding that your vehicle is considered part of your house. Therefore, it is my belief that you DO NOT need a CCW permit to have a loaded pistol in your vehicle, whether it's in the glove box, or concealed on your person.

How you choose to keep a pistol is mostly up to how you feel comfortable. I liken it to some people who don't mind carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, and others leave the chamber empty.

As to the reality of the situation and how an officer would react upon being pulled over, would depend on the officer, and how you act and inform him of the situation. The response could range from "thanks for telling me" to being cuffed and sitting on the side until it's figured out what's what.

Taken from www.missouricarry.com (http://www.missouricarry.com/faq.htm#CCW11)

Do I need a CCW to carry in my automobile? - No. Anyone age 21 or over, and otherwise legally able to own a handgun may carry that handgun concealed or not concealed in the passenger compartment of their automobile, loaded. . It only applies when the person is inside the vehicle. If you step out of the vehicle for any reason with the firearm concealed on your person and do not have a concealed carry endorsement, you may be at risk of being charged with a felony. Your best choice is get a concealed firearm endorsement if you intend to carry a firearm in your vehicle. Covered by RSMo 571.030.1.3 (http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000030.HTM) and the Missouri Highway Patrol, Missouri Concealed Weapons Laws (http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Brochures/SHP-863.pdf) (SHP 863).

Hope that helps.

rat31465
06-29-09, 22:43
This has pretty much been my interpretation of the Doctrine as well...I just have a reason for wanting to hear it stated by someone who enforces such laws.

Mac5.56
06-30-09, 00:27
nismofun are you from Missouri?

Your interpretation of this law seems more rooted in your personal beliefs on the right to own a pistol, then it does on actual legality. I'm not trying to be rude, but honestly I would never carry a firearm with such a vague understanding of local laws.

For example:

I live in NY, a state with very harsh and un-realistic gun laws. I'm from Wyoming, a state with very few gun laws. Does this mean that despite the fact that I know I can safely carry a loaded rifle in my truck, or a pistol in my glove box, that I am going to drive through Manhattan with an AR-15? Seriously? To use my state as an example the mandatory minimum for an illegal gun (a gun not registered with the city of New York) is something like 2 years.

If I have learned one thing while living in NY it is that my illusion that I can "explain away" violations of laws to police officers because I am a good person is absolutelly 100% false. Relying on such an attitude will only get you in trouble.

You need to read this law through and through if you have any questions. You need to speak with a lawyer, and not a police officer. You need to have no doubt before you throw a loaded pistol in your glove box based on a loose interpretation!

Does this mean I agree with the route this country is taking with it's micromanaging of EVERYTHING? No absolutely not! But me disagreeing doesn't change the law until it is overruled by a higher court.

I'll start off with I'm not a lawyer, peace officer, or someone who stayed in a holiday inn last night.

That said, it is my understanding that your vehicle is considered part of your house. Therefore, it is my belief that you DO NOT need a CCW permit to have a loaded pistol in your vehicle, whether it's in the glove box, or concealed on your person.

How you choose to keep a pistol is mostly up to how you feel comfortable. I liken it to some people who don't mind carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, and others leave the chamber empty.

As to the reality of the situation and how an officer would react upon being pulled over, would depend on the officer, and how you act and inform him of the situation. The response could range from "thanks for telling me" to being cuffed and sitting on the side until it's figured out what's what.

Taken from www.missouricarry.com (http://www.missouricarry.com/faq.htm#CCW11)

Hope that helps.

rat31465
06-30-09, 01:14
nismofun are you from Missouri?

Your interpretation of this law seems more rooted in your personal beliefs on the right to own a pistol, then it does on actual legality. I'm not trying to be rude, but honestly I would never carry a firearm with such a vague understanding of local laws.

For example:

I live in NY, a state with very harsh and un-realistic gun laws. I'm from Wyoming, a state with very few gun laws. Does this mean that despite the fact that I know I can safely carry a loaded rifle in my truck, or a pistol in my glove box, that I am going to drive through Manhattan with an AR-15? Seriously? To use my state as an example the mandatory minimum for an illegal gun (a gun not registered with the city of New York) is something like 2 years.

If I have learned one thing while living in NY it is that my illusion that I can "explain away" violations of laws to police officers because I am a good person is absolutelly 100% false. Relying on such an attitude will only get you in trouble.

You need to read this law through and through if you have any questions. You need to speak with a lawyer, and not a police officer. You need to have no doubt before you throw a loaded pistol in your glove box based on a loose interpretation!

Does this mean I agree with the route this country is taking with it's micromanaging of EVERYTHING? No absolutely not! But me disagreeing doesn't change the law until it is overruled by a higher court.

His interpretation is based upon the passage of recent Castle Doctrine in Missouri. It is legal to carry a firearm in your vehicle as the vehicle is considered an extension of ones home...My question is based more on the proper procedure than the legality issue.
If it sounds otherwise then I apologize for the confusion.

.357sigger
06-30-09, 05:43
PM sent

rat31465
06-30-09, 10:20
Thanks for the responses..my questions have been resolved.