PDA

View Full Version : Stainless barrel life?

Mr.Goodtimes
06-29-09, 21:25
Im lookin to replace the barrel on my upper with a midlength recon barrel. Im looking at the Daniel Defense recon barrel, BCM stainless middy barrel, and WOA 16in stainless barrel.

What kind of life can i expect out of the stainless barrels vs. the chrome lined barrel such as the DD?

This is a hard use carbine/shtf gun, so im not sure if stainless is the best way to go for this rifle or not.

Also, are the stainless barrels going to be heavier then the DD barrel?

Cheers,

Ryan

bkb0000
06-29-09, 21:36
stainless barrels exist for pretty much one purpose- slow, precision shooting. doesn't sound like you need or want a stainless barrel.

stainless barrels are generally heavier than CL barrels, because they're generally a minimum of a medium profile. no pencils, govt, M4, etc. not sure if the stainless steel itself is heavier than CMV steel, ounce for ounce- if it is, it's gonna be negligiable.

barrel life, and barrel accuracy needs, vary so much, nobody can ever say how long a barrel will last. if you're not a crack-shot and won't notice a 1/4MOA accuracy loss, you might get 10,000 rounds out of a discarded "match" barrel DR before you start keyholing.. also, not all stainless barrels are created equal- different steel types are going to dictate life... also, depending on your shooting ability/needs.

generally speaking, from what i've gathered and my own limited experience, i'd guess you can get anywhere from 7,000-10,000 rounds through a stainless barrel that hasn't been too rapidly fired before keyholing. some will go longer, others will shit out sooner. if we're talking "loss of accuracy," that's a WHOLE different ball of wax.

Mr.Goodtimes
06-29-09, 21:38
sounds like the DD is what i need. thanks bro.