PDA

View Full Version : Nevada no longer recognizes UT & FL CCW

Irish
06-30-09, 18:58
Nevada Will No Longer Recognize Utah and Florida Right-to-Carry Permits

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Effective, July 1, Nevada will no longer recognize Right-to-Carry permits from Utah or Florida. They have, however, added Ohio and West Virginia as recognized states.

Each May, the Nevada Department of Public Safety conducts an audit of states and their Right-to-Carry laws for the purpose of determining which states it will recognize.

The Nevada DPS dropped Utah because it does not have a live fire requirement, which is a part of Nevada's training requirements. When the Nevada DPS first began its state by state audit of Right-to-Carry laws in 2007, DPS admitted to NRA representatives that they overlooked the live fire training requirement. After further review, they determined that Utah wasn't similar enough to keep it on the list of recognized states.

Florida will no longer be recognized because its permits are now valid for seven years instead of five.

The Nevada DPS and the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs will be hosting their annual Right-to-Carry forum in Carson City in August with a teleconference feed to Las Vegas. We encourage all members to attend this informational meeting. Details will be forthcoming.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5001

JSandi
06-30-09, 19:08
I like the idea of live fire and classes for a CCW, I think if done correctly and professionally it only serves to add the quality of a given CCW program.

Palmguy
06-30-09, 19:10
Stupid. I wonder if my license is still valid because I have one of the old 5 year licenses :rolleyes:

Irish
06-30-09, 19:10
I like the idea of live fire and classes for a CCW, I think if done correctly and professionally it only serves to add the quality of a given CCW program.

I like people having more training as well and hope that people seek it out. Should we all get licensed for driving in different states? I look at this as a 2nd Amendment issue and a right to defend one's self no matter where they are at in the United States of America.

Many may not agree but I think most concealed carry laws that require someone to pay money are nothing but a tax for honest people. I believe the typical criminal neither pays their tax for their permit nor do they take any safety courses. Vermont & Alaska are light years ahead of any other state.

Palmguy
06-30-09, 19:42
I like people having more training as well and hope that people seek it out. Should we all get licensed for driving in different states? I look at this as a 2nd Amendment issue and a right to defend one's self no matter where they are at in the United States of America.

Many may not agree but I think most concealed carry laws that require someone to pay money are nothing but a tax for honest people. I believe the typical criminal neither pays their tax for their permit nor do they take any safety courses. Vermont & Alaska are light years ahead of any other state.

Not gun cases but these two quotes from Supreme Court cases certainly seem applicable to me...

"No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefore." -Murdock v. Pennsylvania, 319 US 105, US Supreme Court, 1943

We emphasized that the 'inherent vice and evil' of the flat license tax is that 'it restrains in advance those constitutional liberties' and 'inevitably tends to suppress their exercise.' 319 U.S. page 114, 63 S.Ct. page 875, 146 A.L.R. 81.-Follett vs. Town of McCormick, S.C., 321 U.S. 573 [1944]

06-30-09, 21:54
Live fire requirement: good.

chadbag
07-01-09, 01:04
Guess I will go to Arizona instead of Las Vegas for vacation. Grand Canyon and that area is interesting.

Iraqgunz
07-01-09, 01:54
That blows. I guess I will have to get my Nevada CCW renewed. Strangely enough on the DPS website it still llists Utah and makes no mention of the additions.

FMF_Doc
07-01-09, 02:23
Texas has always had a range qualification portion of the CHL classes, even for renewals.

Military can submit their recent pistol quals as a substitute.

All states should have a range qualification as part of theirs.

bkb0000
07-01-09, 02:58
you guys who want to add requirements- CONDITIONS- to constitutional rights-

why do you hate liberty?

chadbag
07-01-09, 03:27
The real issue at hand is reciprocity -- not whether one state has a "better" CCW license due to live fire requirements (btw, Utah used to -- I had to do live fire when I got my Utah one back in the mid 90s).

Would you like it if your drivers license was not recognized in Nevada because your state did not require mandatory parallel parking tests?

Iraqgunz
07-01-09, 03:52
Chad,

I agree 100% percent with what you are saying. However, until/ unless there is some type of legal challenge in court we have to play by the rules. In practical terms it makes no sense that you can drive in another state with a state issued license but not carry a firearm, but we have to live with it.

If all states had similar requirements for issuing a CCW maybe that would help build the case for recognized reciprocity. I also think that having to get a permit is a crock as well, but it's better than the alternative that existed when I was growing up.

Though there are hundreds of millions of guns in private hands we still have a ways to go until our voices are really heard. Just look at the current NRA member numbers. A pittance when compared to how many gun owners are in the U.S.

CryingWolf
07-01-09, 05:51

Agreed. I do believe Vermont & Alaska are the only states that are truly following the spirit of the second amendment. I do not believe that anyone should be required live fire exercise nor should be required to have a permit in order to carry.

Put it this way it, could be a small step to require you have a permit in order to own a firearm, aka FID card etc.

Oh heck,

Maybe we should have more laws on firearms, not only should you have a FID and also before you can purchase a firearm you will be required to show you can shoot. Heck we can then even put controls on that and you have to achieve a minimum score, police officers have to achieve a minimum score. How about we all have to test once a year in order to even own a firearm. You fail the test all your firearms are taken away.

It is a slippery slope for sure.

I understand that CCW states have grown in number over the last few decades or so. Some states have made it easier to obtain a CCW. Alaska did require a permit not to long ago. I am all for progressive changes. Nevada is taking a step backwards in this new requirement. I personally think that all states should adopt Vermont or Alaska laws on CCW, but in the interim I would like to see at least adopt Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, etc reciprocity laws, in which they recognize all licenses from any state.

Buckaroo
07-01-09, 06:30
I guess my Indiana no training required lifetime LTCH (License to Carry a Handgun) is not popular there either.

I vote for Alaska/Vermont carry as they are truly following the spirit of the Constitution.

Buckaroo (NRA member)

30 cal slut
07-01-09, 08:32
bummer

FlyAndFight
07-01-09, 09:26
"Florida will no longer be recognized because its permits are now valid for seven years instead of five."

I'm not sure why the addition of 2 years to the FL permit would make a difference to Nevada. What if it was 10? 4? Is it because it has to match up with Nevada's 5 years? If so, why?

Irish
07-01-09, 13:10
Florida & Utah are no longer listed. http://www.nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml

Out of State Carry Concealed Weapon Permit Recognition

Effective Oct 1, 2007

In accordance with NRS 202.3689 the State of Nevada will recognize the following States' CCW permit holders:

Alaska
Arkansas
Kansas
Louisiana
Michigan (added May 9, 2008)
Missouri
Nebraska
Ohio (added July 1, 2009)
Tennessee
West Virginia (added July 1, 2009)

This law allows holders of valid permits from these states to carry a concealed weapon while in the State of Nevada. The permit must be in the possession of the issuee at all times while carrying a firearm.

CCW Prohibited Locations defined by NRS 202.3673

ToddG
07-01-09, 13:18
Swell. This is going to annoy a lot of folks when SHOT rolls around. Of the ones listed, anyone have an idea which have the easier-to-obtain non-resident permits? I'm pretty sure I can demonstrate training hours and proficiency.

Alaska
Arkansas
Kansas
Louisiana
Michigan
Missouri
Nebraska
Ohio
Tennessee
West Virginia

Irish
07-01-09, 13:30
Swell. This is going to annoy a lot of folks when SHOT rolls around. Of the ones listed, anyone have an idea which have the easier-to-obtain non-resident permits? I'm pretty sure I can demonstrate training hours and proficiency.

Alaska
Arkansas
Kansas
Louisiana
Michigan
Missouri
Nebraska
Ohio
Tennessee
West Virginia

Especially considering the next 3 years SHOT is scheduled to be in Las Vegas.

January 19-22, 2010
January 18-21, 2011
January 24-27, 2012

Irish
07-01-09, 13:35
Utah no longer lists Nevada: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html

Florida no longer accepts Nevada either: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

From FL website: This list was last updated on July 1, 2009, when the State of Nevada was removed from the reciprocity list. Authorities in Nevada notified the Division of Licensing that as of that date, Nevada would no longer honor Florida concealed weapon licenses. Therefore, in accordance with the reciprocity provision set forth in section 790.015, Florida Statutes, Florida could no longer honor concealed weapon licenses issued by the State of Nevada.

NCPatrolAR
07-01-09, 13:38
Florida & Utah are no longer listed. http://www.nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml

Out of State Carry Concealed Weapon Permit Recognition

Effective Oct 1, 2007

In accordance with NRS 202.3689 the State of Nevada will recognize the following States' CCW permit holders:

Alaska
Arkansas
Kansas
Louisiana
Michigan (added May 9, 2008)
Missouri
Nebraska
Ohio (added July 1, 2009)
Tennessee
West Virginia (added July 1, 2009)

This law allows holders of valid permits from these states to carry a concealed weapon while in the State of Nevada. The permit must be in the possession of the issuee at all times while carrying a firearm.

CCW Prohibited Locations defined by NRS 202.3673

Hmmm; wonder why NC isn't listed

Palmguy
07-01-09, 13:55
Utah no longer lists Nevada: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html

Florida no longer accepts Nevada either: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

From FL website: This list was last updated on July 1, 2009, when the State of Nevada was removed from the reciprocity list. Authorities in Nevada notified the Division of Licensing that as of that date, Nevada would no longer honor Florida concealed weapon licenses. Therefore, in accordance with the reciprocity provision set forth in section 790.015, Florida Statutes, Florida could no longer honor concealed weapon licenses issued by the State of Nevada.

Good thing about Florida...we are a sort of 'live and let live' when it comes to reciprocity. Let us in and we'll let you in, end of story.

ginarik
07-01-09, 14:03
Bummer. :(

This sucks for me since I'm from Utah.

Irish
07-01-09, 14:26
Bummer. :(

This sucks for me since I'm from Utah.

It sucks for alot of people. I believe, not a fact, that Utah & Florida have the most reciprocity for out of state permit holders and this will significantly impact alot of people and their right to defend themselves when they travel.

Why not have something similar to H.R. 218 for non-police CC permit holders?

Magsz
07-01-09, 14:32
Arf....

Why would changing from a 5 to a 7 cause Nevada to do away with their reciprocity with Florida?

I dont understand that. Can anyone shed some light on that decision?

Irish
07-01-09, 14:39
Arf....

Why would changing from a 5 to a 7 cause Nevada to do away with their reciprocity with Florida?

I dont understand that. Can anyone shed some light on that decision?

Nevada has a 5 year renewal and it doesn't match up with FL due to having to requal every 5 years in NV would be my only guess. BS in my opinion.

chadbag
07-01-09, 16:09
Nevada has a 5 year renewal and it doesn't match up with FL due to having to requal every 5 years in NV would be my only guess. BS in my opinion.

They are looking for ways of denying CCW. The legislature passed the laws and the bureaucrats who administer it sabotage it in their implementation.

chadbag
07-01-09, 16:12
Send a letter to the governor of Nevada and just say that since Nevada does not allow me to protect myself then I will just avoid going to Nevada. Arizona is a nice place to visit...

Maybe we can get some group to start taking out ads in the newspapers or gun rags or something. Popular pressure works wonders (sometimes)

Irish
07-01-09, 18:39
Send a letter to the governor of Nevada and just say that since Nevada does not allow me to protect myself then I will just avoid going to Nevada. Arizona is a nice place to visit...

Maybe we can get some group to start taking out ads in the newspapers or gun rags or something. Popular pressure works wonders (sometimes)

Some good ideas considering Nevada is dependent on tourist money and many of them CC as well. Not to mention this would be really bad for the next 3 SHOT shows which bring millions into Vegas.

The_War_Wagon
07-01-09, 19:31
That's odd - they left off KY. :confused:

KY had an extensive (I thought!) CCW training program, what with 6 hours of classwork, written exams, and range qualification (You had to be state certified LEO to even TEACH it!). I haven't been there since '01, so maybe that's changed.

PA's on the other hand, is simply a $25 Sheriff's Dept. tax stamp. :rolleyes: Better than nothing... maybe... in a court of law. One hopes... :(

YVK
07-01-09, 21:31

Alaska
Arkansas
Kansas
Louisiana
Michigan
Missouri
Nebraska
Ohio
Tennessee
West Virginia

I believe that Alaska, Arkansas, Michigan and Ohio do not issue out-of-state permits at all.

trio
07-02-09, 00:03
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Nevada limiting this to only resident permits, not non-resident permits?

maybe I need to examine getting a non-resident West Virginia permit...

also, I will actually be in Vegas in september...my wife will be at a medical conference during the day...if anyone knows of an instructor that I can contact about doing the required training to get a Nevada CCW while I am there I'd be obliged

trio
07-02-09, 00:07
i just looked....appears like West Virginia doesn't issue out of state permits either...

sigh....i guess I really will be looking for a Nevada instructor in Las Vegas in September so that I can carry at SHOT

FMF_Doc
07-02-09, 00:58
you guys who want to add requirements- CONDITIONS- to constitutional rights-

why do you hate liberty?

Just because you can legally own the gun doesn't mean you are safe to be around others with it, you should at least demonstrate basic competency in gun handling, before being permitted to carry them off your own property. I think the training should be offered to enhance the confidence and skills of the owner.

You aren't proving anything to Uncle Scrooge, you are proving it to your fellow Americans.

Quiet
07-02-09, 06:09

Alaska
Arkansas
Kansas
Louisiana
Michigan
Missouri
Nebraska
Ohio
Tennessee
West Virginia

All the states that NV honors do not issue non-resident permits.
With the removal of FL and UT, the only non-resident permits that NV will honor are non-resident NV permits.

Ever since, UT and FL was added to the list of states that NV honors, more and more people have opted to not get/renew the non-resident NV permits.
That's a considerable monetary loss to the state of NV.
Removing the FL and UT permits, will make people get/renew the non-resident NV permit, if they want to carry concealed in NV.

Supposedly, the NCSA is willing to place FL and UT back on the list, at a later time, if the legislature changes NV to be like CO and FL. CO and FL does not honor non-resident permits from other states.

Palmguy
07-02-09, 07:25
I wonder if the FL/UT non-resident permit connection does have anything to do with it...if so, I don't know why Nevada couldn't have simply adopted a Florida-style policy where they don't accept non-resident permits and not have screwed the actual residents of those states (Florida and Utah).

At least Nevada issues non-resident permits I suppose...

Just because you can legally own the gun doesn't mean you are safe to be around others with it, you should at least demonstrate basic competency in gun handling, before being permitted to carry them off your own property. I think the training should be offered to enhance the confidence and skills of the owner.

You aren't proving anything to Uncle Scrooge, you are proving it to your fellow Americans.

At the risk of devolving into a 2A discussion, which seems to annoy some higher ups, and with full acknowledgement that the 2A is not incorporated everywhere, has been deemed subject to regulation and all that jazz; the text of the amendment does not say "the right of the people to keep arms shall not be infringed". Also, similar logic as yours could be (and is) used by the Brady Bunch et al to say that 'Just because you can own the gun doesn't mean you are safe to be around people in your house with it; many children and spouses are killed every year in gun accidents, those evil bullets can go through walls and kill your neighbor, etc'.

I'm fine with training, just not at gunpoint (aka government coercion).

PPGMD
07-02-09, 08:31
Supposedly, the NCSA is willing to place FL and UT back on the list, at a later time, if the legislature changes NV to be like CO and FL. CO and FL does not honor non-resident permits from other states.

It's not for them to make policy, it's the legislatures job to make policy.

ToddG
07-02-09, 09:42
With the removal of FL and UT, the only non-resident permits that NV will honor are non-resident NV permits.

Fabulous. Guess a NV non-resident permit is in my future.

Cold Zero
07-02-09, 10:14

Anyone have a link, or Tel. # to get the Application for the Non Res' permit? Thanks.

Irish
07-02-09, 10:15
I'm going out of town today for a week. However, when I get back I'll post up the names of some reputable CC instructors for those who want to take a NV course and get a permit here. Take care!

bkb0000
07-02-09, 14:42

you don't need to prove anything to anyone to posess an uninfringeable right.

if we're to REQUIRE anything, it should be that marksmanship and weapon handling be taught in public schools- by the time someone's 21 it's way too late to transform them from a person likely to kill others accidentally to someone who's not, in one ****in class.

so not only would it be unconstitutional, but, in my opinion, pretty damn ineffective as well.

Quiet
07-02-09, 15:47
It's not for them to make policy, it's the legislatures job to make policy.

The NV legislature gave the NVSCA the job to make policy.

Nevada Revised Statue 202.3689
1. On or before July 1 of each year, the Department shall:
(a) Examine the requirements for the issuance of a permit to carry a concealed firearm in each state and determine whether the requirements of each state are substantially similar to or more stringent than the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.
(b) Determine whether each state has an electronic database which identifies each individual who possesses a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by that state and which a law enforcement officer in this State may access at all times through a national law enforcement telecommunications system.
(c) Prepare a list of states that meet the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b). A state must not be included in the list unless the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association agrees with the Department that the state should be included in the list.
(d) Provide a copy of the list prepared pursuant to paragraph (c) to each law enforcement agency in this State.
2. The Department shall, upon request, make the list prepared pursuant to subsection 1 available to the public.

Rider79
07-02-09, 21:07
Anyone have a link, or Tel. # to get the Application for the Non Res' permit? Thanks.

You may contact my friend, Ted Hockfelder, at 702 612 9254, his website is in my sig line. Let him know Rider from XS nightclub told you to contact him, and you saw the info on M4Carbine.net. Tell him about what documented training you have, and he'll see what he can do for you.

tinman44
07-02-09, 21:48
Interesting, found this on a training site for NV permits. This map is certainly not up to date, if it is I have some additional questions.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4627/states.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8/legendj.jpg

G34Shooter
07-02-09, 21:54

Same here, I only needed my Utah CCW for Nevada :mad:

chadbag
07-02-09, 21:56
According to the website at "lasvegasshootingacademy.com" it says

----
SHOOTING QUALIFICATIONS:

You may qualify with one revolver, which allows carry of any revolver. You must however qualify with each specific semi-automatic firearm you wish to carry. Nevada has no limit on the number of guns listed on your permit. If you have pre-qualified with your firearm(s), you need not bring your firearms to the class.

----

A few years ago I was talking to a guy in NV about CCW etc and he said that that was only something that Clark County required and not the other counties. Ie, Clark County made you "register" each semi-auto handgun on your CCW but the other counties did not. Anyone know if this is true or not?

tinman44
07-02-09, 22:10
I was considering a non resident tennessee permit, though now it seams useless and not even sure they issue them. Is there any type of training I can go through no matter what it is that will give me rights to carry? Do I have to complete a police academy and get on as a reserve officer with a local county?

Rider79
07-02-09, 22:11
Clark County has "blue cards" which is a gun registration card. Even for Clark County the rules now are if you qualify with one revolver, any revolver is covered, if you qualify with a Glock 19, any Glock 19 is good. For instance I have 3 G19s and 2 G17s, I only had to qualify with one 19 and one 17.

Clark County is the only county in NV with blue cards.

dookie1481
07-02-09, 22:47
You may contact my friend, Ted Hockfelder, at 702 612 9254, his website is in my sig line. Let him know Rider from XS nightclub told you to contact him, and you saw the info on M4Carbine.net. Tell him about what documented training you have, and he'll see what he can do for you.

Haha XS? My friend works there...

Jay

dookie1481
07-02-09, 22:48
I'm glad I didn't just get my FL like I had originally planned. First they rescind CCW waived the NICS check and now this bullshit.

Jay

Rider79
07-02-09, 22:54
Haha XS? My friend works there...

Jay

Who's your friend?

I just spoke with Ted. Metro requires that non-res permits are applied for in person for the photos, prints, etc. No way of getting around that part. If you have documented training, he may be able to work out a shorter class for you, so you don't have to waste an entire day in class. But you still have to be here in person for it.

dookie1481
07-02-09, 23:12
Who's your friend?

I just spoke with Ted. Metro requires that non-res permits are applied for in person for the photos, prints, etc. No way of getting around that part. If you have documented training, he may be able to work out a shorter class for you, so you don't have to waste an entire day in class. But you still have to be here in person for it.

PM sent.

Jay

JG1911
07-03-09, 00:38
Well that stinks.

FWIW: FL never required live fire training to get your CCW.

Iraqgunz
07-03-09, 08:12
Rider,

Correct me if I am wrong. Last year when I was in LV I contacted Metro to get a blue card. They told me that it only applies to residents and not those from out of state. Is that still the case?

Clark County has "blue cards" which is a gun registration card. Even for Clark County the rules now are if you qualify with one revolver, any revolver is covered, if you qualify with a Glock 19, any Glock 19 is good. For instance I have 3 G19s and 2 G17s, I only had to qualify with one 19 and one 17.

Clark County is the only county in NV with blue cards.

Rider79
07-03-09, 08:16
Rider,

Correct me if I am wrong. Last year when I was in LV I contacted Metro to get a blue card. They told me that it only applies to residents and not those from out of state. Is that still the case?

Yes. For instance if you live in Pahrump, in Nye County, you would not need a blue card for your handguns, as long as your DL shows that's where you live. So if you have a Nye County CCW, you don't need a blue card to go with it. Same thing for a non-res permit. Also, check your pm.

RogerinTPA
07-03-09, 08:32
Well that stinks.

FWIW: FL never required live fire training to get your CCW.

FL requires that you must be able to demonstrate competency with a firearm. How individuals interpret the meaning of that, would have to lay with the instructor.

Example 1. Some instructors at gun shows say " every one say bang!" , you have now demonstrated competency.

Example 2. Some instructors only want your to fire one round.

Example 3. Some want you to load and fire 1 magazine.

Example 4. The one I took, the instructor required a 200 round requirement, shooting at multiple targets to include contact shots.

Quiet
07-03-09, 17:20

In 2007, NV passed a firearm pre-emption law [NRS 244.364]. Due to some political back dealing from the NVSCA, the Clark County handgun registration was "grandfathered in". However, it was modified.

As of 01-01-2008,
If you are a resident of Clark County, you have 72 hours to register any handguns you acquire.
If you are a non-resident of Clark County, you do not have to register your handguns unless you stay in Clark County for more than 60 days.
Also, non-residents of Clark County do not have to register than handguns with the LVMPD, if they are applying for a non-resident NV permit with Clark County.

Nevada Revised Statue 244.364
1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.
2. A board of county commissioners may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.
3. If a board of county commissioners in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the board of county commissioners shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:
(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.
(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the county upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.
4. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 1, as used in this section:
(a) “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.
(b) “Firearm capable of being concealed” includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.
(c) “Pistol” means a firearm capable of being concealed that is intended to be aimed and fired with one hand.

ToddG
07-03-09, 18:12
So ... M4C party in Vegas?

G34Shooter
07-03-09, 18:22

If you're buying :cool:

tinman44
07-03-09, 19:05

if nothing else a meet and greet at shot, perhaps a little closer to the show we can arrange a sticky. thats if I get to go (fingers crossed)

9Y10C
07-03-09, 19:39
The Nevada DPS dropped Utah because it does not have a live fire requirement, which is a part of Nevada's training requirements. When the Nevada DPS first began its state by state audit of Right-to-Carry laws in 2007, DPS admitted to NRA representatives that they overlooked the live fire training requirement. After further review, they determined that Utah wasn't similar enough to keep it on the list of recognized states.

I have several friends in North Idaho whom I recently recommended take training for CCW Utah permits because of Utah's 34 state reciprocity (previous to the recent Nevada exclusion). I also liked the training program in place here for the Utah non-resident permit. Their firearms instructor uses the "live fire" qualification required by the strictest U.S. state in order to certify them for a Utah permit. So, Nevada's rationale for excluding Utah permits because of "...no live fire requirement..." makes no sense at all. Just another case of elected and appointed politicians having their collective HUA...

Left Sig
07-04-09, 11:56
I guess my Indiana no training required lifetime LTCH (License to Carry a Handgun) is not popular there either.

Same here. The funny thing is, NONE of these restrictions are based in fact, rather they are all based on speculation and theory.

Indiana makes it very easy to get a carry license. Fill out the forms, pay the fee, and you get the license if you pass the background check. They recommend training, but don't require it.

Because of this Indiana has one of the highest licensure rates in the country, and we don't have any significant problems with license holders causing problems. All of the hand wringing about training requirements, number of years the license is good for, is much ado about nothing.

But something has to be done about the patchwork of reciprocity in the country as a whole.

JG1911
07-04-09, 17:10
FL requires that you must be able to demonstrate competency with a firearm. How individuals interpret the meaning of that, would have to lay with the instructor.

Example 1. Some instructors at gun shows say " every one say bang!" , you have now demonstrated competency.

Example 2. Some instructors only want your to fire one round.

Example 3. Some want you to load and fire 1 magazine.

Example 4. The one I took, the instructor required a 200 round requirement, shooting at multiple targets to include contact shots.

You forgot shooting an Airsoft pistol at a target.

Competency is way open to interpretation. I took NRA Hunter Safety to get mine, this was 14yrs ago though.

Abraxas
07-04-09, 17:55

Ever since, UT and FL was added to the list of states that NV honors, more and more people have opted to not get/renew the non-resident NV permits.
That's a considerable monetary loss to the state of NV.
Removing the FL and UT permits, will make people get/renew the non-resident NV permit, if they want to carry concealed in NV.

Not entirely true. Of the states on that list that Mr.G put up, Tennessee and Arkansas both issue to non residents

dookie1481
07-04-09, 22:04

I'd love to meet some of you guys. I'd also like to try and talk you into having a class in Vegas :D

Jay

Heavy Metal
07-04-09, 22:14
Don't know about WV non-resident but I am GTG in Vegas now. It seems they now acknowledge WV.