PDA

View Full Version : Flakey front sight base

Slugger
06-30-09, 23:00
I've got a front sight base that is flakey in one spot. F marked piece. Are these forgings? Would a part showing like this possibly be faulty in other areas of the sight base?

http://inlinethumb31.webshots.com/44254/2262597530028352761S425x425Q85.jpg

Tempted to return upper as it is brand new, but not sure if it is worth doing or not.
Slugger

bkb0000
07-01-09, 00:19
depends on you.. also, i cant tell how bad that is, or what exactly it is.. is it steel flaking off, or some kind of coating? should be forged parkerized steel- nothing TO flake off.

if you're getting exposed bare metal, that's a rust magnet.. i might be tempted to return it myself, and i'm forgiving when it comes to finish issues.

Slugger
07-01-09, 11:52
From what I can see, it's not the park flaking off. Looks like the forging was flakey prior to parking. I've never seen this before so my thought was that since the forging was flakey . . . could there be other flaws in other areas under the surface that I won't know about until it breaks?

Looks odd to me and BCM has stated that I could return it for replacement. Since I've never seen this before I'm just not sure if there could be problems down the road. Since there is only a 30 day warranty, I guess my thought is that for the peace of mind, it's worth the $15 or so to return it for swap out.

Slugger