PDA

View Full Version : Did I get hosed?

ISRW
06-30-09, 23:55
After months of research I decided to buy my first AR. After doing some looking around I found a great price on a Colt 6920. But the bad news was the gun was like a 2 hour drive away from my house. Seeing as the deal was red-hot and I didn't want to pass it up I was ready to take the drive (even with raising gas prices) and get the gun, when a buddy of mine said to call around and see if anyone would match the price. So I called around and found a reputable store that specializes in AR's that would match the price. However, when I got there they started to act a little fishy. I am used to the usual "We need to call and check the price of the other place and then we will match the price', but these guys first tried to tell me that the other shop was closed and then after I called the other place on speaker phone and proved that it was open, they had to call their boss and walk outside to see if it was OK to match a competitors price. After a 30 min ordeal the sales associate (who was outside talking on the phone to see if he could sell it for cheaper... much.. much cheaper - $600) came in and told me he would do it. Anyway to make a long story short the sales associates were acting super fishy and I am a little worried that their boss told them to put a 'nice' used gun in a box and pass it off as a new gun. If they did, would there be anyway for me to know if it was used? The gun is in great shape, and I am sure it fires right, but the whole principle of the thing has me worried. Because if they sold me a used gun as a new gun they should have just told me in the beginning that they wouldn't match prices. Anyway if anyone knows of anyway that I could check to see if my gun is used that would be great. Thanks!

PS - I am probably just being paranoid but I waited to get the Colt because I felt like it was the best gun available and I want to make sure I didn't get hosed! Thanks!

TOrrock
06-30-09, 23:59
How are we supposed to help you?

USMC0351
07-01-09, 00:00
Put a Qtip in the chamber. They probably wouldn't have cleaned it very good.

bkb0000
07-01-09, 00:14
you're just gonna have to look for wear marks.. the inside of the upper receiver is gonna be the biggest indicator. i don't know how extensively colt test-fires their rifles.. if they're anything like LMT, you could have fairly substantial "wear" in a brand spankin new weapon.

maybe someone else knows if there's a way to check with the agency in charge of background checks, to see if the weapon's been sold to anyone else? dunno if that's possible, or if you'd get anywhere.

when i was a new guy- to guns in general, not just ARs- I got all weirded out about crap all the time... constantly wondering if i was getting ripped off somehow. i think it comes from the amount of money you're spending- if you're like me, it's basically the most money you've ever spend on "toys" before, and so you're already feeling apprehensive, and the idea of getting ripped off bothers you so much you start to invent issues... best advice i can offer is to just relax, and not make a stink about things unless you KNOW what you're talking about. save yourself some embarassment.

it's probably a new gun.. i cant see any likelihood of a dealer being that ****ed up to someone.

Zhurdan
07-01-09, 00:19
Does it say "Colt" on it or something like "Colte"?

ISRW
07-01-09, 00:29
Thanks, you're right I'm probably just freaking out. Probably those new guy nerves. But yeah I'm not going to worry about it anymore, instead I will go and have some fun with my new gun! Thanks for the advice.

tinman44
07-01-09, 00:34
Break it down. Open it up take out the bolt, look for allot of grime, look for alot of wear (shiney metal), look at the buffer to see if it has wear, it shouldnt though a used one will have a print of the bolt carrier on it, check the brass deflector(new really shouldnt have any brass marks, mine didnt). do your research on this site to learn how to do all this. in all likelyhood if you appear to know what your doing they may crawfish again. my dad was shopping at a local store i frequent and when i started this inspection the salesmen piped up and asked i not break it down further, i replied with, "i will inspect it until we decide to purchase or we'll go elsewhere" he nodded and i proceeded. though it was all broken down already except for removal of firing pin and extractor. i slapped it back together while staring at him, i think he was choking on his foot the whole time.

TOrrock
07-01-09, 00:36
Thanks, you're right I'm probably just freaking out. Probably those new guy nerves. But yeah I'm not going to worry about it anymore, instead I will go and have some fun with my new gun! Thanks for the advice.

Sounds good, you made a great choice for a carbine, first time or otherwise.

If you're really concerned, take some pics....there's not a lot we can do without seeing what you're seeing.

Welcome to the forum, there's a lot of good info here to jump start you.

nickdrak
07-01-09, 01:53
Don't all new Colts come with the wick installed in the barrel?

Did you happen to ask them if they were selling you a new or a used gun?

Iraqgunz
07-01-09, 02:23
Last time I checked Colt carbines came in boxes with labels and I believe that the serial number was either written or printed on the box. That would be a good indicator. What was the final sale price of the 6920 that you bought?

ISRW
07-01-09, 09:38
Yeah the more I think about it the more I really think I was overreacting . The final price was 1299, but they were selling at this particular shop for 1899!!!! and yes it came in a box in fact the sales associate even said , "I even have one in a box for you". Before I go out today though I am going to wipe it all down and check everything posted above. Can't wait.... only 6 mores hours of work!

LOKNLOD
07-01-09, 09:58
Yeah the more I think about it the more I really think I was overreacting . The final price was 1299, but they were selling at this particular shop for 1899!!!! and yes it came in a box in fact the sales associate even said , "I even have one in a box for you". Before I go out today though I am going to wipe it all down and check everything posted above. Can't wait.... only 6 mores hours of work!

Marked at 1899...sold for 1299...Okay, here's what happened: They had it marked at "Panic Price", sold it to you for "Market Price" and then pretended like they were doing you a HUGE favor ;) Right?

You didn't get screwed, you paid a fair enough price for it, and for $1299 it is probably (and should be) brand new. For a minute there, I thought you were saying they knocked it down to $600, not by $600. They didn't screw you, they just used typical sales nonsense instead of being upfront with their pricing. No harm selling it to you or others who bargain with them for a normal price, and some quick easy money when someone comes in and just pays sticker without asking.

Enjoy your new carbine and don't sweat it :cool: