PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Certified Copy of your DD214...

tango-papa
07-01-09, 12:29
Getting a Certified Copy of your DD214 without waiting for weeks and/or months.

Looks like I will most likely need to order a "certified copy" of my DD214 here shortly. Have been instructed not to order it until I find out if it's actually required and then, specifically, where to have it sent.

I'm aware of the online access via The National Archives:
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/

My understanding is this can take quite some time (months or more :rolleyes:) and I won't have that luxury once I get word on just who/where to send the record.

Has anyone used one of the "private research companies" to get an expedited copy?
Specifically, Touchstone Research Group, LLC? http://touchstoneresearchgroup.com/index2.html

Any and all guidance, recommendations, feedback, experience will be much appreciated!

FYI - I have my original signature copies (long & short), but this endeavor will require certified copies only.

~tp

santa
07-01-09, 12:57
Try going to your county VA rep. They should be able to help you in obtaining a certified copy of your DD214. And since you have your originals they can certify them for you and make copies.

I have no experience with the commercial companies. I will recommend, however, with any route that you go, to get a few extra for just-in-case times.

Good luck in your quest.

bkb0000
07-01-09, 13:07
i also cannot help you with getting a copy from the feds. to resolve this issue in the future, however, you can register your DD214 with your county recording office. my county, or at least the county i registered mine with, can provide a "certified" copy, complete with signed affidavit and county seal, that's been more than adequate for all my needs over the last few years. all free, at least in that county.

if i don't need/want the "certified" part, i can go in there any time and have them print me off regular copies of it.

i don't even know where my original is.. probably with the county, i spose.

Iraqgunz
07-01-09, 13:13
I am assuming that this is for some type of employment purposes. I wasn't aware that you could get a certified copy of your DD214. It was under the impression that if an employer or agency needed a "trustworthy" copy then they would request it. My last DD214 isn't certified and has been accepted by everyone thus far.

Aray
07-01-09, 13:34
I took my original to the local courthouse where I was staioned where I got out, Port Orchard, WA. They have a copy on file and if I need a certified copy, they copy, notarize and send it to me (2 copies free if for the VA;)). Try your local courthouse.

On Edit: It should not need to be certified if it is the original.

Steelblitz
07-01-09, 13:43
Go to a local notary with your original papers and have them make a copy, then get the copies stamped/embossed as certified copies. It's not that difficult unless you need a copy supplied from a government agency for whatever reason. The regular notary certified copy holds the same weight.

JSantoro
07-01-09, 15:25
FYI - I have my original signature copies (long & short), but this endeavor will require certified copies only.

~tp

Your county courthouse can do everything you need. Like bkb stated, get them registered there, and you can get certified copies of it at will. Regular copies, you can handle yourself, of course.

PlatoCATM
07-01-09, 16:55
Have you tried calling your base/post? While they probably do not have your record on file, the orderly room/personnel office may direct you to the national record keeping office who should have it and can fax it to you or whomever needs it.

If you were USAF reserve component contact ARPC in Denver.

First contact your VA rep. Every time I make a 214 I check the box to automatically send it to the VA...don't know how long you've been out, but that's how it is done today.

Hersh
07-01-09, 21:49
Guys I've never served so could you help me out? Is the 214 the form that shows all your training and duty assignments?

JSantoro
07-01-09, 22:05
Primarily, it outlines the nature of your discharge, whether it was Honorable, or...otherwise.

But, yes, it lists what your dates of service were, your MOSs, your decorations, what rank you attained, things like that.

jtb0311
07-01-09, 22:25
I took my original to the local courthouse where I was staioned where I got out, Port Orchard, WA. They have a copy on file and if I need a certified copy, they copy, notarize and send it to me (2 copies free if for the VA;)). Try your local courthouse.

I did exactly the same thing.

dookie1481
07-01-09, 22:50
i also cannot help you with getting a copy from the feds. to resolve this issue in the future, however, you can register your DD214 with your county recording office. my county, or at least the county i registered mine with, can provide a "certified" copy, complete with signed affidavit and county seal, that's been more than adequate for all my needs over the last few years. all free, at least in that county.

if i don't need/want the "certified" part, i can go in there any time and have them print me off regular copies of it.

i don't even know where my original is.. probably with the county, i spose.

Keep in mind that if you have it recorded a copy can be requested by anyone who wishes to see it.

Jay

tango-papa
07-03-09, 11:40
I've been out for going on 9 years now, and never even heard of a 'certified' copy prior to the other day. Again, I have my original signature long/short and have always just provided a copy if/when needed.

I don't think I would ever have it recorded, as that's not something I want available for viewing.

This will be for employment purposes and I will be getting notarized copies made, however, if 'they' want a sealed/certified copy from Uncle Sam, then that's what they'll get.

Again, I appreciate all the help.

~tp

bkb0000
07-03-09, 15:55
I've been out for going on 9 years now, and never even heard of a 'certified' copy prior to the other day. Again, I have my original signature long/short and have always just provided a copy if/when needed.

I don't think I would ever have it recorded, as that's not something I want available for viewing.

This will be for employment purposes and I will be getting notarized copies made, however, if 'they' want a sealed/certified copy from Uncle Sam, then that's what they'll get.

Again, I appreciate all the help.

~tp

Using your VA loan, applying for a government and/or security clearance job and/or jobs that give application preference to vets, etc... there's needs for certified copies.

Hersh
07-03-09, 20:45
Primarily, it outlines the nature of your discharge, whether it was Honorable, or...otherwise.

But, yes, it lists what your dates of service were, your MOSs, your decorations, what rank you attained, things like that.

Thank you and apologies for the thread jack.

tango-papa
07-04-09, 00:03
Using your VA loan, applying for a government and/or security clearance job and/or jobs that give application preference to vets, etc... there's needs for certified copies.

When I bought my house, with a VA Loan, I provided a copy of my original dd214.
I have never had to provide a "certified copy" of my dd214 to anyone for anything and until the other day, had never heard of such a thing.

FMF_Doc
07-04-09, 00:11
what I have done in the past is to take my original copy 1 or copy 4 depending on which is required for the application and getting a copy notarized and certified as a true copy of the original.

It is quicker than waiting for NARA to produce a copy of it.

Being listed as a disabled vet on my DD214, I keep several notarized copies on hand for various veterans programs.

Hope this helps you out.

Doc

VTLO910
07-04-09, 00:20
Keep in mind that if you have it recorded a copy can be requested by anyone who wishes to see it.

Jay

I second that motion...

and your DD214 also has your SSN on it too...

There was a big hoot about this a few years back... Much after I registered all of mine... :(

tango-papa
07-04-09, 00:26
what I have done in the past is to take my original copy 1 or copy 4 depending on which is required for the application and getting a copy notarized and certified as a true copy of the original.

It is quicker than waiting for NARA to produce a copy of it.

Being listed as a disabled vet on my DD214, I keep several notarized copies on hand for various veterans programs.

Hope this helps you out.

Doc

Yes, thanks, this is what I will do in the event 'they' confirm a 'certified' copy is required.

~tp

tango-papa
07-04-09, 00:28
I second that motion...

There was a big hoot about this a few years back... Much after I registered all of mine... :(

The only reason I would never register mine. Couldn't care less if anyone sees the rest of the info.

Iraqgunz
07-04-09, 06:08
I didn't need one when I got my VA loan or when having a background investigation done for a clearance. They took it at face value. All I used was my Member 4 copy that is signed by me and the certifying official.

Aray
07-04-09, 12:37
I second that motion...

There I was blissfully ignorant, and again, something else I screwed up and can do nothing about.:(

CDDM416
07-04-09, 14:06
when i retired (97) they gave me the original, i was told thats it you got it dont lose it. so its been sitting in my safe, the only time i needed a copy, was when i joined the american legion.

VTLO910
07-04-09, 17:37
There I was blissfully ignorant, and again, something else I screwed up and can do nothing about.:(

lol... It was a county in PA as well... :rolleyes:

Aray
07-05-09, 15:32
lol... It was a county in PA as well... :rolleyes:

No, another state, oh well.

panzerr
07-07-09, 22:03
Go to a local notary with your original papers and have them make a copy, then get the copies stamped/embossed as certified copies. It's not that difficult unless you need a copy supplied from a government agency for whatever reason. The regular notary certified copy holds the same weight.

+1

I thought it odd that in order for me to get my Iraq War Veteran license plates I had to bring my DD214 to the records office and have it notarized before the license office would accept it.

It's not a bad idea to have a copy in the county records as well, in case you lose yours.

SGT D USMC
07-07-09, 22:51
I 'm not up todate on recent needs for a cirtified copy of my dd214, I got a fed, then a state veteran home loan and state & fed job points. then at the age of 55 I was dignosed with PTSD from Viet Nam and I"m 100% plus permenant and total. I got A specal license Tag , A free hunting license, and a reduction of taxes on my home, Plus contuing health care from the VA. The VA confirmed my DD214 when I filed a claim for PTSD, However I have never provided anyone with a certified copy of my DD214.

He went into younder village and never returned.

Savior 6
07-07-09, 23:14
+10 for the courthouse.

Dave_M
07-07-09, 23:29
When I got out one of the first things I did was handover my original DD-214 to the hall of records in the city I was living in. They gave me as many notarized copies as I wanted. I got several because I was going to get the GI bill etc. From now on, as long as I sign for it, they will give me as many copies as I require. It's a decent system. No filling out a dozen forms and waiting far too long if I need an extra.

FMF_Doc
07-08-09, 08:11
The only problem with registering it with the Courthouse is that it becomes a public record and is then accessible to anyone, so that gives out your SSN.

There was a rash of identity thefts from registered DD214's, at one point several veterans groups advocated against filing them there.

tango-papa
07-08-09, 11:27
Good news...

Got the job offer yesterday and the copy I submitted of my DD214 is good to go.

Again, appreciate all the assistance here and it would appear this thread turned out to be somewhat useful for a few other folks as well.

Looking forward to the new job.

~tp

FMF_Doc
07-08-09, 15:57
That's great, good luck.