PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Colt 6920

SSN685Submariner
07-01-09, 14:23
After some research,I decided that I wanted a Colt 6920, primarily due to my perception that the Colt has a qualitative advantage in construction and materials. Today I learned that my state of residence, Connecticut, has banned this weapon. My understanding is that it's because of the flash suppressor and folding stock. What's my best alternative ?
Can I purchase Quality parts without the egregious features and assemble something nice that will be legal in Connecticut ? Any advice would be much appreciated.

ZDL
07-01-09, 14:45
After some research,I decided that I wanted a Colt 6920, primarily due to my perception that the Colt has a qualitative advantage in construction and materials. Today I learned that my state of residence, Connecticut, has banned this weapon. My understanding is that it's because of the flash suppressor and folding stock. What's my best alternative ?
Can I purchase Quality parts without the egregious features and assemble something nice that will be legal in Connecticut ? Any advice would be much appreciated.

move.

SSN685Submariner
07-01-09, 14:49
That's not helpful

Northerntier1
07-01-09, 15:38
I would look into the used gun market to see if you could find a colt that was manufactured during the assault weapons ban. I remember they came without a flash supressor or any threads on the end of the barrel. One other thought would be to assemble your rifle from parts. I built a nice rifle using mostly Lewis Machine and Tool parts using a rock river arms lower reciever. If you can go this direction it might take a little longer to have a rifle. Building the rifle helps to ensure you can repair it if need be.

Iraqgunz
07-01-09, 15:50
Colt 6920 stocks do not fold, they telescope. The best option if you want an AR is to get one with a fixed stock and a barrel with no flash hider. I am pretty sure that Colt makes such a model.

Business_Casual
07-01-09, 15:53
I believe that is called an HBAR Target model.

M_P

dbrowne1
07-01-09, 16:12
I believe that is called an HBAR Target model.

M_P

They make or used to make a "match target" model of the 6920 known as the MT6400C, which was their PC term for neutered rifles and carbines during the federal ban (or what I refer to as "The Darkness").:D

The MT6400C is actually a good gun that includes many of the important Colt build quality features, including a chrome lined bore that is lacking in the other "MT" line guns.

Here is another thread on the comparison:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1975

Also, you might want to do some more research on the CT ban. I seem to remember that it has some enormous loopholes that allow you to get non-Colt guns or guns not labeled as "AR-15," but that are functionally identical. If so, get a lower from a reputable company and then put a Colt upper, bolt and carrier on it.

Jim from Houston
07-01-09, 16:15
I believe that the closest thing to a Colt 6920 that would be legal in CT would be the Colt MT6400C, which is made to resemble an M4 style weapon but has a muzzle brake rather than flash hider and has a fixed stock (though its made to LOOK like a normal collapsing M4 stock) and no bayonet lug.

Like this, though you should certainly be able to find one cheaper than this:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/COLT-MT6400C.html

QuietShootr
07-01-09, 16:21
That's not helpful

Doesn't make it wrong.

SSN685Submariner
07-01-09, 16:50
So you're telling me you would sell your home and uproot your family, say goodbye to your friends and seek new employment just so that you could own a particular gun. That's lunacy !

ZDL
07-01-09, 16:55
So you're telling me you would sell your home and uproot your family, say goodbye to your friends and seek new employment just so that you could own a particular gun. That's lunacy !

It was a joke. However, if you want to delve into it; I'm sure we can come up with some convincing arguments. Doubt you want to ruin your thread though.

chadbag
07-01-09, 16:58

There are lots of states I won't live in or move to for just that reason. So, yes, I would look for a way out of CT if I were in your shoes. Maybe not just drop everything overnight but would leave CT at the first opportunity.

With regards your question: find someone in CT who is very knowledgable about the law so that you can know exactly what is and what is not allowed. Lots of places have lots of loopholes etc. For example, with so called grandfather "pre ban" guns etc.

QuietShootr
07-01-09, 17:03

Yes, actually. I did it.

Some of us think living under the thumb of an oppressive state government is lunacy. \There was a state "assault rifle" ban enacted, and I decided right then that the East coast could kiss my ass.

SSN685Submariner
07-01-09, 17:13
I would be receptive to many of those arguments but at my age I'm vehemently opposed to starting over in a new location. Thank You all for your useful comments. I've already initiated the search for a Colt MT6400C.

CarlosDJackal
07-01-09, 17:15

From what I understand, the state specifically names both Colt and Bushmaster in their ban list. Other makers are okay so either an LMT BCM or any other manufacturer should be okay.

CAVEAT: I am not nor will I ever be a lawyer so take it FWIW.

SSN685Submariner
07-01-09, 17:18
You're kidding , right ? You actually sold your home and uprooted your family because of the passage of one law. A little perspective please. Is your employment easy to relocate ?

CarlosDJackal
07-01-09, 17:23

While I do not have a family, I did that just over 9-years ago. I escaped the Kommunist State of Maryland when they passed that stupid "Ballistic Fingerprinting" law and have not looked back. It was one of the best moves I ever made.

I guess it's a matter of priorities. If your priority is to maintain a stable family life right where you are at the price of your individual liberty then more power to you. Just don't be complaining how ridiculous the laws are where you live.

It's still (mostly) a free country. You still have the option of leaving a state that cares little for you or your family's welfare. JM2CW.

Iraqgunz
07-01-09, 17:25
I did it as well. I was tired of Californias ridiculous and continually oppressive gun laws, population, home prices, gas prices, etc.... So we moved to Arizona.

You're kidding , right ? You actually sold your home and uprooted your family because of the passage of one law. A little perspective please. Is your employment easy to relocate ?

QuietShootr
07-01-09, 17:28

Yes, I did. My employment is based on my skills and education, and it's portable. And it wasn't just one law, that law was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. No CCW, no right to self-defense, and no un-neutered weapons and no NFA? Bye.

QuietShootr
07-01-09, 17:29
While I do not have a family, I did that just over 9-years ago. I escaped the Kommunist State of Maryland when they passed that stupid "Ballistic Fingerprinting" law and have not looked back. It was one of the best moves I ever made.

I guess it's a matter of priorities. If your priority is to maintain a stable family life right where you are at the price of your individual liberty then more power to you.

This.

And don't kid yourself. That's exactly the bargain you're making (if you're awake and know the difference).

bkb0000
07-01-09, 17:44
you live in one of the smallest states in the union... you could move three states over and still only have a 15 minute commute

SSN685Submariner
07-01-09, 17:56
Well, this is all very amusing but look back at how the thread started. I never complained about the RIDICULOUS law I simply asked for an alternative. I think it takes courage to relocate and develop new friendships and start a new job. For that I give you credit. Try it again in a few years once you have a family. On the bright side, you may now legally own a gun with a bayonet lug and a flash suppressor.

dbrowne1
07-01-09, 18:19
Yes, actually. I did it.

Some of us think living under the thumb of an oppressive state government is lunacy. \There was a state "assault rifle" ban enacted, and I decided right then that the East coast could kiss my ass.

As opposed to what - the West Coast, 2/3 of which is comprised of Kalifornia?

Most of the East Coast is actually fine as far as guns go. Everything south of Maryland is fine. Maine, NH, VT, PA are all fine as well. It's those crappy little states inbetween that are the problem.

Dunderway
07-01-09, 20:08
As opposed to what - the West Coast, 2/3 of which is comprised of Kalifornia?

Most of the East Coast is actually fine as far as guns go. Everything south of Maryland is fine. Maine, NH, VT, PA are all fine as well. It's those crappy little states inbetween that are the problem.

You don't have to live on a coast.

ETA: The Gulf Coast is an exception.

Dunderway
07-01-09, 20:11
Well, this is all very amusing but look back at how the thread started. I never complained about the RIDICULOUS law I simply asked for an alternative. I think it takes courage to relocate and develop new friendships and start a new job. For that I give you credit. Try it again in a few years once you have a family. On the bright side, you may now legally own a gun with a bayonet lug and a flash suppressor.

If you post all of the regulations for your state, we might be able to offer more help.

MarshallDodge
07-01-09, 20:18
If you got a hold of a pre-ban receiver, is it legal to put the rest of the naughty stuff on it?

My thinking is that you maybe you could buy a 6920 from Grant and have him strip the components off of it and put them on a pre-ban receiver. It may devalue the gun but if you had to have a 6920 then that's the way I would do it.

About moving: I lived in the Chicago suburbs for twenty years, and don't anymore. ;)

CTBuilder1
07-01-09, 20:24
There are lots of states I won't live in or move to for just that reason. So, yes, I would look for a way out of CT if I were in your shoes. Maybe not just drop everything overnight but would leave CT at the first opportunity.

With regards your question: find someone in CT who is very knowledgable about the law so that you can know exactly what is and what is not allowed. Lots of places have lots of loopholes etc. For example, with so called grandfather "pre ban" guns etc.

Someone rang? :D

mhanna91
07-01-09, 20:31
So you're telling me you would sell your home and uproot your family, say goodbye to your friends and seek new employment just so that you could own a particular gun. That's lunacy !I would not buy a house in a state that has shit gun laws in the first place.

Reddevil
07-01-09, 20:43
Kind of ironic that you can't own a gun made in the very state you live in. I'm another transplant. Moved from MA to AZ after the attorney general decided what guns were safe or not safe for me to own in MA. Glad I got out because they still enforce the AWB like CT.

CTBuilder1
07-01-09, 20:48
I would not buy a house in a state that has shit gun laws in the first place.

It's a little different if you are born in raised in that state. To uproot and leave friends and family behind is not always an option.

CTBuilder1
07-01-09, 20:56
Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(b) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, the term "assault weapon" does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable.

Sec. 53-202m. Circumstances when assault weapons exempt from limitations on transfers and registration requirements. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

The "Colt AR15" and "Colt Sporter" are banned by name in CT. This means that any Colt rifle that bears the markings of "AR15" or "Sporter" including "AR15A2" etc, is banned. It doesn't matter if it is preban or postban it is banned.

The Colt 6920 is marked "LE Carbine," therefore it is not banned by name. But considering it was manufactured after 9.13.94 and has such features as a flash hider/threaded barrel, bayonet lug and collapsible stock it is banned because of the configuration. If you had the stock pinned, the bayonet lug removed, and a non flash hiding muzzle device perm attached the 6920 would be CT compiant and perfectly legal to own.

The other route would be as another member stated. Get a 6920 take off the upper. Take all the guts out of the lower and put them in a preban lower then attach the upper. You would now have all the working parts of a 6920 on a preban piece of lower aluminum.

CTBuilder1
07-01-09, 21:01
Yes, I did. My employment is based on my skills and education, and it's portable. And it wasn't just one law, that law was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. No CCW, no right to self-defense, and no un-neutered weapons and no NFA? Bye.

We have CCW, we have almost all NFA (machineguns have to be modified to be either safe or auto - no select fire), we can carry concealed in bars, resteraunts, etc. There are loopholes in the AWB.

If everyone who lives in a state like CT moves to a "free state" instead of staying and trying to fight for our rights eventually those who want to take our rights will follow until there are no more "free states." If you choose to run that is your decision. I think I'll stick around a while longer and see if we can make a dent.

CaptainDooley
07-01-09, 21:09
To turn this thread back on topic... I have a Colt MT6400C I just got in trade I'll sell it to you instead of de-nutering it if ya want. It is the exact same gun as the 6920, just with no bayo lug, a fixed stock and a pinned muzzle brake instead of a threaded barrel with a flash hider. PM me...

monkeywrench
07-01-09, 21:35

In a heart beat!! And yes I have a wife and kids!!!!

SSN685Submariner
07-02-09, 01:30
For how much longer ?

TRD
07-02-09, 06:17

Since I am in the job market right now, I am looking to live in a free state (or I could just stay where I am - which is perfectly fine - if it ends up that way).

You'd better believe I am being very selective about what states I will live in.

Trust me on this one: Living in a free state is well worth every penny. Join us! :D

monkeywrench
07-02-09, 06:51
I already live in a free state!

SSN685Submariner
07-02-09, 07:00
Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(b) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, the term "assault weapon" does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable.

Sec. 53-202m. Circumstances when assault weapons exempt from limitations on transfers and registration requirements. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

The "Colt AR15" and "Colt Sporter" are banned by name in CT. This means that any Colt rifle that bears the markings of "AR15" or "Sporter" including "AR15A2" etc, is banned. It doesn't matter if it is preban or postban it is banned.

The Colt 6920 is marked "LE Carbine," therefore it is not banned by name. But considering it was manufactured after 9.13.94 and has such features as a flash hider/threaded barrel, bayonet lug and collapsible stock it is banned because of the configuration. If you had the stock pinned, the bayonet lug removed, and a non flash hiding muzzle device perm attached the 6920 would be CT compiant and perfectly legal to own.

The other route would be as another member stated. Get a 6920 take off the upper. Take all the guts out of the lower and put them in a preban lower then attach the upper. You would now have all the working parts of a 6920 on a preban piece of lower aluminum.

Thanks Very Much for the excellent , and comprehensive information.

OldNavyGuy
07-02-09, 08:17
What's my best alternative ?

MOVE your ass to Arizona, where our law makers just approved carrying your protection into establishments that serve alcohol.

according to your name, you are former U.S.Navy, we need a few more dry land sailors here to help maintain sanity, those Eastern states have lost it :D

CTBuilder1
07-02-09, 08:21
MOVE your ass to Arizona, where our law makers just approved carrying your protection into establishments that serve alcohol.

according to your name, you are former U.S.Navy, we need a few more dry land sailors here to help maintain sanity, those Eastern states have lost it :D

We can already do tht here. The legal BAC limit for carry is 0.10 here as well.

Iraqgunz
07-02-09, 08:34
The new law if signed by the governor will not allow one to carry concealed when drinking. Just as it should be.

We can already do tht here. The legal BAC limit for carry is 0.10 here as well.

CTBuilder1
07-02-09, 09:56
The new law if signed by the governor will not allow one to carry concealed when drinking. Just as it should be.

Considering we are talking about individual liberties, how do you figure it SHOULD be that way? I think it should be in parody with driving limits. If I can go to dinner, have two beers with my meal and drive home, then by all means I should be able to do that with my CCW. In my state I can, do and will continue to.

CaptainDooley
07-02-09, 10:03
I hate to pull a conversation even more off topic... but I agree with CTBuilder on this one. I am responsible enough to go out and have a beer or two and drive - I'm also responsible enough to have a beer or two with my handgun (and often do - whether out at a restaurant or in my home). We need to quit legislating away personal liberties simply because it's "for the greater good". We already have laws that will take care of the jack asses that can't moderate themselves.

TOrrock
07-02-09, 12:11
Enough.